Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
When the iPhone 5 first came out, many experienced huge jumps in data usage. I still do sorta, but it doesn't really matter, because I have unlimited. My sister, on the other hand, doesn't, so this may benefit her. I am also just curious.

Does turning LTE off do anything?

EDIT: I have AT&T

Last edited:

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I'm still having issues with it.. Infact I didn't even get my usual monthly reminder texts as to how my data usage is going. AT&T knows of my issue and credited me thirty dollars last month but Ill be calling again to tell them the issue hasn't be resolved.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
When the iPhone 5 first came out, many experienced huge jumps in data usage. I still do sorta, but it doesn't really matter, because I have unlimited. My sister, on the other hand, doesn't, so this may benefit her and I also just curious.

Does turning LTE off do anything?

Was never real outside of Verizon which was fixed. Phone uses only as much data as you configure it to. Shared photostream, itunes match, netflix, pandora or facetime over cellular all and more use data. Sister and I have had to give mother a few reminders and explanations. but outside of that no techies at work or friends have had any issues.

Disabling LTE, disables LTE.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Disabling LTE, disables LTE.

My theory was, if one lives in a non-LTE area, having LTE on would use more data/battery because it would constantly be searching for LTE. This idea was derived from the fact that when one is in a really low signal area, the phone would constantly search for a signal and, thus, use more battery.

Also, I had increased data usage for the first couple of months, and I have AT&T. I made sure to turn off everything in the settings I could find that I didn't use.

Fiji

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
My Findings

I downloaded a few apps that track data usage and found out a few things. First of all, the Podcast app is the major data sucker. I shut it off, but it was still downloading all the time for some reason...and I never listen to podcasts anyway, so not sure why that is. I deleted the Podcast app completely, and data use went WAY down.

Second thing I found was that there is definitely a problem with the phone staying on Wifi when you have it off the charger. It sucks data all the time for various things while the phone is in your pocket. Biggest culprit there is Safari. I shut off all the Safari related operations and deleted all history, bookmarks, etc. and that stemmed the tide. I have gotten into the habit of leaving only one page open in Safari or a blank page, and that seems to cut down on the data it draws. I'm guessing that web pages left open that are more dynamic may draw updates.

The last thing to watch is to make certain that the phone is on the charger while you are sleeping. In the middle of the night, Apple likes to do its updates of their software and it can be a couple of MB of data that you are going to be paying for unless you keep it on the charger so the phone stays connected to the wifi.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.