Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It amazes me that people don't understand basic sea keeping, basic sea keeping is so important in an ocean going vessel.

I don't know about the rest of the lubbers on this board, but I know me some basic sea keeping for sure.

If you want to see terrible Sea Keeping, checking out the IOWA class battleships in a storm, its pretty funny.

Lol. That's right up there with Gangham Style.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No one is asking the really interesting question: Octopus vs. Venus - who wins?

That's like saying Mac-Mini vs. ProLiant 48-core - who wins?

By the way, I did find out that DYT charges $200k to transport a 140ft yacht across the Atlantic. The Venus would be a lot more.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Octopus, no contest. It also cost half a billion dollars, much larger, with 2 helicopter pads, 3 tenders, and a submarine.

Umm, I think that $200M is more commonly quoted. (And it has 7 tenders and 2 submarines.)

And if you want a minimalist boat to sip champagne and eat canapés while sitting in the marina - the Venus fits the bill. Just like how the Mac Mini is a better choice for many scenarios, even though the 48 core ProLiant will crush it in others.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I worked 17 years as an engineering for Fincantieri. It never occurred to us to crawl on our hands or knees.

Of course, if you've ever been on a big boat you'd know that the engine room and the crew's quarters are in the most stable part of the ship.

Try an upper-deck stateroom during a storm....

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Thats funny.

Dramatic and striking though the Jobs yacht may be, it doesn't appear - at least to my eyes - to a particularly seaworthy looking vessel. Meaning I personally wouldn't much fancy trying to sail it across the north Atlantic in wintertime. The thought of looking at a breaking 80-foot wave coming towards those large, unprotected, flat glass panels in the superstructure would scare any sailor accustomed to rough weather.

Instead it will be loaded on a container-ship, or a specialty yacht-transport vessel, and delivered to its destination on the west coast of the United States. And the Jobs family will probably save a lot of money doing it that way.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
What an albatross, this thing was once a vision of narcissists dream. Now it's scrap metal.

Very high visibility scrap metal :D

Better than scrapping, someone could buy it and turn it into an Apple museum, anchored at Fisherman's Wharf.... ;)

I'm sure that many fans would pony up a $20 admission fee to spend an hour or two on "the yacht that Steve built", especially if it had some interesting Apple historical trivia in it.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Moving it to the west coast (US) is indeed curious. It could mean for the family not to have a serious interest in it, as it is ideally fitted for the Mediterranean, Adriatic type ports where significant art is in its evironment. It would certainly be a shame to dock it in any marina in California.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Moving it to the west coast (US) is indeed curious. It could mean for the family not to have a serious interest in it, as it is ideally fitted for the Mediterranean, Adriatic type ports where significant art is in its evironment. It would certainly be a shame to dock it in any marina in California.

A fair number of left-coasters harbor their yachts in the Caribbean. Lots of nice warm water destinations, and a short hop in the Gulfstream to get to the boat.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Better than scrapping, someone could buy it and turn it into an Apple museum, anchored at Fisherman's Wharf.... ;)

I'm sure that many fans would pony up a $20 admission fee to spend an hour or two on "the yacht that Steve built", especially if it had some interesting Apple historical trivia in it.

I was just being funny. You're right, especially if birthed near fisherman's wharf in SF it could be turned into quite an attraction.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
And then they sold it to feed the poor

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.

But Mr. Jobs??? This IS the OTHER place!!!!

Muha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Sebastian Cabot

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.