Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagfab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
guys i had upgraded my my mac book pro recently to mountain lion. personally found the same slowing down my machine too much and outlook hanging etc etc

my last time machine back up was on the 31st of july.unfortunately ( in stupidity ) did not take a back up of files before restoring from time machine. any chance to recover the files ( word excel ppt ) mails ( in outlook )

would sincerely appreciate the help

puneet

MeetJoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
challenging situation

I am having the same problem. I forgot to take the backup of Lion files before upgrading to ML.
I don't know how to get back those files..

a help would be sincerely appreciated

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
With that much data written to the hard drive, henceforth recovery drive, there is virtually zero chance of either of you recovering any missing files. You can buy Stellar Phoenix for Mac and try recovering them. This is the best data recovery program for OS X I can think of. It is far more thorough than Data Rescue and Disk Warrior.

If you have a Windows computer then Nucleus Kernel Mac is the best of all (it only runs in Windows and needs to be running Windows natively).

First off stop using those computers immediately every second they are turned on and booted off the recovery drive the odds of recovery get worse.

What you will need. The data recovery software, and a destination drive you can boot off of other than the recovery drive.

Boot off the destination. If necessary you will have to buy a new hard drive if you don't have any spares and install Mac OS X. It is advisable that this drive be larger than the recovery drive (if I recall correctly I think Stellar Phoenix requires this). The recovery process can result in duplication of files as folder structure is often lost or only partially intact on deleted files.

Once you are booted off the destination drive. You can use your recovery software to access the recovery drive. Then let it perform a formatted media/lost file recovery scan. This can take many hours possible a couple days if the hard drive is having problems. So disable sleep in the energy saver in the preference pane of System Preferences. It is OK to let the screen sleep just not the whole computer or hard drives.

When the scan is complete you will be shown all the files found this will be both currently available and deleted. The files you are looking for probably will not be in the folder it was originally stored in. Instead they will likely be spread out amongst many randomly generated folders. Of those you do find many will likely be corrupted or hold zero data. This could be because they were partially written over or fragmented. There is nothing you can do for them.

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
guys i had upgraded my my mac book pro recently to mountain lion. personally found the same slowing down my machine too much and outlook hanging etc etc

my last time machine back up was on the 31st of july.unfortunately ( in stupidity ) did not take a back up of files before restoring from time machine. any chance to recover the files ( word excel ppt ) mails ( in outlook )

velocityg4 has given a good collection of data recovery programs which actually can recover your lost data. Chances of recovering data are not much bright because you have not taken proper backup and it was via time machine backup. Still try the best data recovery software you may be lucky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.