Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whbunn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2009
I am using an AT&T U-Verse gateway 2WIRE model 3801HGV. I was disappointed with the range the 2WIRE provided so I added a Netgear R6300 router. The NetGear router installation went well and the increased range is what I wanted.

AT&T has an iPad U-Verse app that I use a lot. The app lets you view the TV schedule, schedule recording, etc. Also you can use the app as the TV's remote control.

Since adding the Netgear I can no longer use the iPad app as the TV's remote control, if the iPad is using the Netgear wifi. I can however still view programs and schedule recordings. The app tells me my iPad must be on the 2WIRE to connect as a remote control. If I switch the iPad wifi setting back to the 2WIRE wifi, all of the apps features work as advertised.

Since the new router provides far superior wifi range and speed, I prefer it as my default wifi setting.

My question is: Is there a way to configure the two wifi networks to work together so that if my iPad is on the Netgear router, the U-Verse app will be fully functional as if the iPad was on the 2WIRE wifi?

Thanks,
Bill

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Reconfigure the Netgear to work in bridged mode then connect them together via the LAN ports.

On the Netgear.
- Disable DHCP
- Set a static IP address in the range of your 2Wire. If the 2Wire is in default settings. Set the Netgear's IP Address to 192.168.1.253, Subnet 255.255.255.0 and Gateway/Router IP to 192.168.1.254
- Connect them together by their LAN ports.

Now the Netgear should be acting as an access point to your network. The 2Wire should now be acting as the sole router. If you ran just one Ethernet line across your house you could connect the Netgear there in the same fashion. Then if you had it use the same SSID and Encryption as the Netgear you would have one much larger Wifi network.

whbunn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2009
One more question. After setting up in bridge mode, the only SSID appears when I scan for networks with iPad or MBP. It is the SSID for the 2WIRE gateway.

Is that how it should be?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
One more question. After setting up in bridge mode, the only SSID appears when I scan for networks with iPad or MBP. It is the SSID for the 2WIRE gateway.

Is that how it should be?
Yes, it's a single WiFi network and your devices will pick up whichever base station has a stronger signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.