Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1001
ah-
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nex01 View Post
Hello, Sorry I'm a complete noob.
I'm already trying to find a way for months to run my Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 with Intel Graphics in Windows because the GT750M is sucking up so much power from the battery.

So I finally found this thread, but it's really confusing and hard to understand.

Can you or someone else explain me step-by-step how you enabled the Intel Iris Pro and disabled the Nvidia?

I installed Windows via Bootcamp assistant on OSX Mavericks.

The only thing I understood so far was:

1.) changing graphics to intel only with gfxcardstatus
2.) chainloading windows with grub
3.) installing a driver that disables Nvidia driver loading
4.) installing intel drivers?

Not sure if I understood that correctly so far, so that's why I'm asking

Thank you very much, your help is appreciated
Hi nex01, sorry that there are no good instructions yet, this is all very experimental.

But if you're interested in getting it to run, start with setting up GRUB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nex01 View Post
I uploaded my grub folder here: http://andreas.heider.io/gmux/2013/g...set-os.tar.bz2

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /efi

Then move the folder to /efi/EFI/grub and edit the grub.cfg.
This should then make the the Intel GPU visible in Windows. Then you can do the gfxcardstatus and driver thing.
ah- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:48 PM   #1002
nex01
macrumors newbie

Just mounting it in OSX and then dropping the files into it to make grub work?
nex01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:03 PM   #1003
ah-
macrumors newbie

I'm not entirely certain, you'll most likely have to edit the grub.cfg to match your partitions. Apart from that, just unpacking and placing it in the correct folder should be enough.

I don't really have the time/energy to write good instructions and especially test everything, but I'll try to check this thread somewhat regularly and help out if I can.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1004
timmyj
macrumors newbie

i have been able to get the iris pro graphics running on my late 2013 rmbp with nvidia dgpu under both windows 8.1 x64 and linux as per the files and info given in this thread
brightness control and sleep doesnt seem to work which are the only major issues

if any people are stuck i can point you in the right direction if need be
as it can be quite cumbersome getting it to work
timmyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1005
nex01
macrumors newbie

I think the problem is that Apple's EFI does not support Optimus,
both cards are physically active but Windows can't switch to eachother because of missing Optimus support and that's why it fails when waking up from sleep.
nex01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1006
ah-
macrumors newbie

Yes, I suppose it does wake up correctly, but the display is connected to the wrong card so it stays black. If you want you could try if sleep works with an external monitor (in case that works at all with the intel card on the new mbps).

The MBP does something similar to early revisions of Optimus (actual mux instead of just copying the image from Nvidia->Intel), and does not expose the exact same interface, so the Optimus driver doesn't work with it. You could try the driver from the previous page to see if that helps with sleep, I'm not sure about that.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:09 AM   #1007
shanovan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah- View Post
Yes, I suppose it does wake up correctly, but the display is connected to the wrong card so it stays black. If you want you could try if sleep works with an external monitor (in case that works at all with the intel card on the new mbps).

The MBP does something similar to early revisions of Optimus (actual mux instead of just copying the image from Nvidia->Intel), and does not expose the exact same interface, so the Optimus driver doesn't work with it. You could try the driver from the previous page to see if that helps with sleep, I'm not sure about that.
So could I possibly use an early version of the Optimus driver (possibly modified) to use the switchable graphics?
shanovan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:50 AM   #1008
jjarvi
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where to find the old 306.37 NVidia drivers or maybe could upload them? Currently downloadable Boot Camp seems to include a newer version which causes a black screen in an EFI installation.

I found the drivers for Toshiba but turns out they're manufacturer-specific: Toshiba drivers contain nvtd.inf while Apple's contain nvao.inf and my Geforce 650M wasn't recognized by Toshiba's drivers. Even if I could tweak the vendor ID numbers in the .inf file it probably wouldn't work.
jjarvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:38 AM   #1009
thomaskc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarvi View Post
Does anyone know where to find the old 306.37 NVidia drivers or maybe could upload them? Currently downloadable Boot Camp seems to include a newer version which causes a black screen in an EFI installation.

I found the drivers for Toshiba but turns out they're manufacturer-specific: Toshiba drivers contain nvtd.inf while Apple's contain nvao.inf and my Geforce 650M wasn't recognized by Toshiba's drivers. Even if I could tweak the vendor ID numbers in the .inf file it probably wouldn't work.
www.laptopvideo2go.com is your friend
thomaskc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:50 AM   #1010
jjarvi
macrumors newbie

I finally found nVidia drivers that work with mid-2012 Retina here:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...ootCampESD.pkg

It's version 296.49 inside that Boot Camp package, I couldn't find 306.37 anywhere but at least this works. Download links for other Mac models that all point to Apple's servers: http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/d...otcamp-drivers

How to find any version by examining Apple's server: http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/59079

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskc View Post
www.laptopvideo2go.com is your friend
Thanks for the link, it would have saved me a lot of searching to know that before! However it's a Toshiba driver there. Installation says:

Code:
NVIDIA Installer cannot continue
This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
Maybe you or someone else could post nvao.inf and nvao.cat (or whatever they call the inf and cat files inside the Display.Driver folder of the installer) from NVidia 306.37 drivers as distributed inside Boot Camp? Those files might be enough to get that version working.

Last edited by jjarvi; Jul 16, 2014 at 01:03 PM.
jjarvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #1011
shanovan
macrumors newbie

Potential EFI Modifications

It should be possible to make modifications to Apple's EFI using UEFI tools. The only difference from modifying a normal UEFI would be the rather confusing naming, I believe.
Attached Files
File Type: txt AppleEfiList.txt (7.9 KB, 2 views)
shanovan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac