Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
davidgnomo
macrumors 6502a

Music and photos on a separate disk

What if I wanted to use a separate disk (connected via a USB 3 port) to store all my music, pictures and videos ? How can I tell iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie to get stuff and store it in the external disk ? Tomorrow I'll get my first iMac and I'd like to give it a start the good way ...
davidgnomo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
HardcoreWally
macrumors newbie

For iTunes & iPhoto it's easy. In your Home folder, there is the Pictures & Music folders. iPhoto Library is located in the Pictures folder, move this to where ever you want it. Then start up iPhoto while holding down the Option key. iPhoto will ask where you're library is and there will be a button (amongst others) that says choose or locate (I forget which but you get the idea). From there navigate to where you put the iPhoto Library and select it.
iTunes is the same, inside the music folder will be the iTunes folder, move that to where you'd like it. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key again and do the same.
Make sure you have the external disk mounted before opening these apps.
HardcoreWally is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
davidgnomo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreWally View Post
For iTunes & iPhoto it's easy. In your Home folder, there is the Pictures & Music folders. iPhoto Library is located in the Pictures folder, move this to where ever you want it. Then start up iPhoto while holding down the Option key. iPhoto will ask where you're library is and there will be a button (amongst others) that says choose or locate (I forget which but you get the idea). From there navigate to where you put the iPhoto Library and select it.
iTunes is the same, inside the music folder will be the iTunes folder, move that to where you'd like it. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key again and do the same.
Make sure you have the external disk mounted before opening these apps.
Well, what can I tell you : thanks a lot for the explanation, seems almost a bit complicated but I imagine it's more difficult to explain than to just do it ... now I only need the iMac to arrive to my place !!! I.e. : just 3 or 4 hours more to wait !!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:18 AM   #4
flynz4
macrumors 68040

For iTunes... you can also just relocate your "iTunes Media" folder... while keeping the rest of iTunes (i.e.: the database) on your primary drive. This might be useful if you have an SSD system and want to keep the database on the SSD.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:20 AM   #5
davidgnomo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
For iTunes... you can also just relocate your "iTunes Media" folder... while keeping the rest of iTunes (i.e.: the database) on your primary drive. This might be useful if you have an SSD system and want to keep the database on the SSD.

/Jim
It's gonna be a 1 TB Fusion Drive : do I relocate or not ?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:52 AM   #6
HardcoreWally
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgnomo View Post
It's gonna be a 1 TB Fusion Drive : do I relocate or not ?
Depends how big your iTunes library is & how much other stuff will be on your 1TB. 1TB can be a lot for some users.
You can set it up on the 1TB and move it later, when iTunes is closed no probs. Just do the Option key on starting up iTunes after the move and point it to the place you've moved.

Does sound complicated and a bit hard to explain properly but very easy, especially once you've done it or seen someone else do it in front of you.
HardcoreWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac