Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wy2sl0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I just bought one online and it is on its way. It is essentially just a 7G with a 240GB Samsung drive, and the proper 240GB marking on the case. It uses a 5g case on the back since the 240gb drive is larger.

Pretty excited to be able to fit all of my music on there. Big question is, if anyone has one, which case do they use?

EDIT Mar 29/12: Updating this post with pictures and initial thoughts.

First impressions; Comes in a thin plastic box with bubble wrap. Much like a refurbished item it has a few minor cosmetic blemishes. Nothing on the screen. The clickwheel has a minor abrasion, and the side has a scratch. 9/10 Physically. The hard drive clicks slightly like my old 160GB. This isn't a problem for me as I will be leaving it in my car. It is also noticeably lighter than my old 160GB - I don't know if HDD technology is the main factor, or the casing used is chinese thin aluminum. It looks exactly like a genuine iPod. I find the clickwheel to be less responsive than I remember it. Again, I am not sure if this the way the 7th gen's are known or what - maybe it is a knockoff clickwheel. After I used it for awhile we will see if this is an issue or just my initial thoughts being wrong.

It was running the latest OS version, and had been restored ready for a new user. It came supplied with a USB cable and set of headphones.

I haven't had a chance to use it really, it is still syncing with my library so I will update well say in a week or so.

Overall I am pleased considering it is essentially 50% larger than the 160gb Ipod for the same price. Oh and P.S, I paid no duty or taxes and it left China on Monday - so I received it in 4 days. Impressive.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 598
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 778
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I want to hear how this works out too. I have been debating with my inner cheapskate about trying one from RapidRepair. They get $400.00 for a 240gb gen. 7 with a 90 day warranty. They also offer modded 5 and 5.5 gen. units. I appreciate you being our consumer reports person. If I decide to turn loose of some money on one I will return the favor.

Spikestrip

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
California
By appearance alone it would certainly fool the Apple employees, except for the size marking. Thanks for sharing! I'd actually consider getting one now.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Yeah, I got mine from Rapid Repair also, a couple of years ago. Works great, no complaints. If you're like me, and just haven't totally bought into the whole "cloud" thing, I can recommend it without reservation.

Funny thing about mine: Rapid apparently puts these things together out of whatever iPod parts they have around. When I hook up my black-bezeled 240 GB to sync, it shows up as a white-bezeled model. I kind of don't mind actually. All my other Classics are black, so this way I have an immediate visual cue so I can be sure which one is which.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Yeah, I got mine from Rapid Repair also, a couple of years ago. Works great, no complaints. If you're like me, and just haven't totally bought into the whole "cloud" thing, I can recommend it without reservation.

Funny thing about mine: Rapid apparently puts these things together out of whatever iPod parts they have around. When I hook up my black-bezeled 240 GB to sync, it shows up as a white-bezeled model. I kind of don't mind actually. All my other Classics are black, so this way I have an immediate visual cue so I can be sure which one is which.

Which generation is your RapidRepair Classic? Part of me wants a 5th or 5.5 because they sound better to me and part wants a 7th because of better support parts-wise and iTunes support for the newer unit. Or do I worry too much?

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I ordered the 160gb upgrade kit from this ebay seller along with a full housing kit with click wheel to revamp a sketchy 80gb classic, I thought long and hard about buying the 240gb since the price is so good but I figure 160gb is more than enough space and the price to upgrade and essentially refurbish my 80gb ($100) was a better deal at this time.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Which generation is your RapidRepair Classic? Part of me wants a 5th or 5.5 because they sound better to me and part wants a 7th because of better support parts-wise and iTunes support for the newer unit. Or do I worry too much?

I think you worry too much :p

Seriously though, mine was either a 5 or 5.5--can't easily check it right now, since it's buried in one of my suitcases atm. If I had to bet, I'd say it was the plain vanilla 5th gen.

tsandrew

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013

Nahhh... I think you're absolutely right. Also an added feature of the 7th Gen is the Genius feature - which can certainly help if you have 240GB of music to manage!!

I recently started a small business specifically making 240GB 7th Generation iPod Classics, so I do have a motive. I use all new parts, and I've been selling them on eBay (user ID tsandrew).

One of my friends is selling one for me here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151005209820?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hopefully you'll get a shot at that one before it sells.

I'll be selling more soon, but if you'd like to arrange a cheaper deal outside of eBay definitely let me know, either here or by email: newt.tsai at gmail.

Cheers! Hope that helped.

jlm86

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Where do I buy one?

----------

Does this have upgraded DAC?

----------

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Where do I buy one?

----------

----------

You aren't going to find one with a upgraded DAC because the DAC is part of the logic board and it would take some serious skill to swap it out and probably a firmware change in which the classic's firmware is encrypted.

I put a 240GB in the 5th gen and use it to display video on my TV. Unfortunately the transfer speed is pretty slow in iTunes, I'm not sure why this is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.