Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
yeah Its a brand new 6 core. Ran cineabench and it didn't go past 68 degrees.

My handbrake was everything maxed out and constant quality at 12 and still 68 degrees.

I wonder if the 2010 Mac Pros have better cooling than the 2009. I've read that the SMC version differs between the two. Everyone with a 2010 that I've interacted with seem to have very moderate cpu temps under load. 2009's seem to have more extreme temperatures.
The fans on my system allow the cores to heat up right to the brink of destruction before speeding up just enough to hold the temps at about 95C. And that is where they stay. Unless I intervene with SMC FanControl.

Does anyone out there have any knowledge about this? The difference b/n 2009 and 2010 temps, that is.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
An enormous heat sink with a clean, efficient design that pulls the heat directly out of the case rather than just blows it around while being small enough to encourage keeping them off a dusty floor and being reasonably simple to clean the dust out of means this is a great thermal design. I would not worry about the thermals in the new mac pro.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I'm really appreciating the feedback... That being said, it seems that it is possible that a new 6 core 3.33 would run cooler than my current dual quad 2.66 2006. Is it all basically in the heatsinks then?

Ok then, does the newer memory produce a lot less heat then 06-08? It sounds like if I had an 08 I could bake stuff in my office. :)

It sounds to me like you would really REALLY benefit from spending 15min. reading this document.

Read it all. If it gets too dry to keep your eyes bouncing along select the text and right-click on Speech-->Start Speaking and then just kick back and enjoy the soundcast. :)

In general newer RAM may run a little cooler than older RAM and whether or not the 2008 heats up your office depends a lot on what you're doing with the machine (how much energy it's using). At idle it probably won't contribute much heat - but cranked up it probably will.

Remember that without ventilation or dissipation heat is accumulative (ie. in a closed system). If your office walls for example insulated perfectly (no dissipation) and there was no other ventilation then just a single small candle flame would heat your office to unbearable temperatures after XX number of hours - assuming it could burn that long. It's the same with your computer too. Also heatsinks don't really cool anything. They just transfer the heat energy away from the part and disperse it into the air - which is then removed from your computer enclosure -- and into your office space. ;)

Also generally speaking, Apple tends to run their devices hotter (system internal temperatures) than most other manufacturers. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the temps inside the MP6,1 were alarmingly high - without user modified fan speeds. This is already true with all MacPro models and they have a lot more open space inside than the new one does.

Last edited:

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
those monitors are like 85 watt light bulbs, and the Mac Pro is like a hair dryer. If you ever been around a make-up room in full swing, it gets hot. Box fan on a windowsill works for me except los angeles indian summers, usually aug/sept whem i kick the a/c on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.