Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kena1921

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a new iMac and was wondering what the latest rumours are about when a new one will be out. Is it likely to be this year?

Many thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No one knows when the refreshed iMac comes out, but people are hoping for October. With current inventories becoming constrained that's a hopeful sign as well.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Any thoughts on what will be new?

definitely new wi-fi chip, wi-fi AC. but for this you would need to have wi-fi AC enabled router such as new Apple's Airport router.

new Intel chips (Haswell) - nothing interesting there, maybe only 5 percent faster. but there should be some new graphic options but nobody knows but it'll probably be something faster, Apple usually puts new graphic chip in new generation of their products (they rarely keep the same chip for more than a year). look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1636087/

maybe, they will put fusion drive as standard instead of BTO but its probably too soon. it'll be nice though.

i hope they'll put RAM access door to 21.5 inch model!

actually dont expect anything new as CPU performance or design goes. but little problems should be ironed out. this second-gen of new design will be nice I think, no more annoyances that are present on first gen products.

kena1921

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
There's talk of an event on October 15th so presumably this is when it will be announced (or not).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Any thoughts on what will be new?
Some thoughts on what will bein the next iMac:
  • Haswell Processer
  • 802.11ac
  • SSDs will probably be PCIe based instead of SATA (like the MacBook Air)
  • Improved GPUs (How improved depends on what's available to Apple could be as little as 5% at the high end.)
    At this point will probably release with Mavericks on it.

Screen resolutions are unlikely to change as the higher resolution screens are still way expensive. Thunderbolt 2 is also probably a no go until sometime next year as Apple will want it exclusive on the Mac Pro for a few months at least.

There's talk of an event on October 15th so presumably this is when it will be announced (or not).
As we get closer to that date, we should see more rumors about what should be announced. That's presuming the date is accurate of course. And we still won't know for sure until any press conference what is being announced.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012

Forgot about those. You know if I had more $$$ I'd probably sell my Mac Pro w/ display and buy 27" iMac, i7 and 512gig PCIe SSD. With those speeds and past-2011 Core i processors, it is more than enough for my needs. Only thing besides the price is the lack of QC on displays, I hear more and more about people returning their iMacs multiple times for fixing LCDs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Forgot about those. You know if I had more $$$ I'd probably sell my Mac Pro w/ display and buy 27" iMac, i7 and 512gig PCIe SSD. With those speeds and past-2011 Core i processors, it is more than enough for my needs. Only thing besides the price is the lack of QC on displays, I hear more and more about people returning their iMacs multiple times for fixing LCDs.
Well I'm likely buying a new iMac in a few months, so I'll take all the improvements I can so it lasts longer. I tend to keep my Macs 3 to 5 years, my current one looks like it might be one that I will have outgrown in 4 years.

As for the displays, hopefully there won't be major changes to the displays so there will have been a chance to improve QC on them.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I'm really hoping when / if they update the iMac in October they will also release wifi-ac AEs with GbE too

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010

that would be awesome. October is the ipad event. The iMac might get a silent rerelease with a small spec bump + AC wireless.

I don't know if anyone notices it but I check Amazon for apple stuff and they have no type of the iMacs and the used are very limited too. Really want a new one. Hoping next tuesday we have new ones.

Tho I have been seeing a ton of iMacs on craigslist up. Someone is offering a 27 late 2012 inch one for $1,100. Crazy deal maybe worth not getting the newest one. Just I feel sketchy paying that much money for something that is not new. I don't mind selling used electronics but not a huge fan of buying them.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
that would be awesome. October is the ipad event. The iMac might get a silent rerelease with a small spec bump + AC wireless.

I don't know if anyone notices it but I check Amazon for apple stuff and they have no type of the iMacs and the used are very limited too. Really want a new one. Hoping next tuesday we have new ones.

Tho I have been seeing a ton of iMacs on craigslist up. Someone is offering a 27 late 2012 inch one for $1,100. Crazy deal maybe worth not getting the newest one. Just I feel sketchy paying that much money for something that is not new.
...or stolen :confused:
I don't mind selling used electronics but not a huge fan of buying them.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'm in the UK and just bought a 27" iMac i7 3.4/24GB RAM/2GB 680MX/1TB Fusion Drive machine for £1600. It was 5 months old with receipt.

Couldn't see anything coming in the 2013 refresh that was earth-shattering.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
im waiting for 27" iMac with 780M 3Gb vRam, wifi AC, Fusion Drive(256PCIe+1T 7200RPM) and Maveriks for freeeeee

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
I'm in the UK and just bought a 27" iMac i7 3.4/24GB RAM/2GB 680MX/1TB Fusion Drive machine for £1600. It was 5 months old with receipt.

Couldn't see anything coming in the 2013 refresh that was earth-shattering.

Good deal.. I'm about to splash out on a refurb.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
  • Haswell Processer
  • 802.11ac
  • Improved GPUs (How improved depends on what's available to Apple could be as little as 5% at the high end.)
    At this point will probably release with Mavericks on it.

Screen resolutions are unlikely to change as the higher resolution screens are still way expensive. Thunderbolt 2 is also probably a no go until sometime next year as Apple will want it exclusive on the Mac Pro for a few months at least.

As we get closer to that date, we should see more rumors about what should be announced. That's presuming the date is accurate of course. And we still won't know for sure until any press conference what is being announced.

Very good comment. I agree with you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.