Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
kmj523
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
How to downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1

How can this be done?
kmj523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
It can't be done.

But feel free to browse the similar threads:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1446195
forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1392965
forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474683
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:22 AM   #3
blair554
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I found a video tutorial on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRFLI...layer_embedded.
It has very detailed steps to teach how to downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5.1.1 on A4 devices.
blair554 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:26 AM   #4
NathanA
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blair554 View Post
I found a video tutorial on YouTube:
This is not a universal solution. In fact, there is no universal solution. This only works if you have your SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 saved somewhere for your particular phone. If you don't, you're out of luck.

-- Nathan
NathanA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:34 AM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj523 View Post
How can this be done?
It depends on which model you have.

3GS and iPhone 4 - yes with saved 5.1.1 hash file
All other models - cannot be done even with saved hash file
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:54 PM   #6
kmj523
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Where would these saved files be located at?
kmj523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
NathanA
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj523 View Post
Where would these saved files be located at?
They would only be saved if you explicitly saved them, or if you had previously jailbroken your phone and used Cydia.

If you didn't know about these files before and so didn't explicitly make an effort to save them before 6.0 was released, or if you have never jailbroken your phone, then you won't have these files. If you did, then you either should know where you saved the files to, or you can fetch them from Cydia's servers using TinyUmbrella.

-- Nathan
NathanA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
They would only be saved if you explicitly saved them, or if you had previously jailbroken your phone and used Cydia.

If you didn't know about these files before and so didn't explicitly make an effort to save them before 6.0 was released, or if you have never jailbroken your phone, then you won't have these files. If you did, then you either should know where you saved the files to, or you can fetch them from Cydia's servers using TinyUmbrella.

-- Nathan
How would I save my iPad 2 blobs using iTunes? I want to save them in case I want to JB my iPad 2.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:41 PM   #9
NathanA
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
How would I save my iPad 2 blobs using iTunes?
You can't. You have to use TinyUmbrella, which I linked to in my previous response. TinyUmbrella allows you to download the blobs for your device from Apple for the current version of iOS, as well as any blobs from past versions that you might have saved on Cydia.

Please note that you can't download the blobs directly from your device for whatever version of iOS it is currently running. So for example, if you are running 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 is the latest version from Apple, and you have never saved your blobs in the past, you can't "rip" copies of the 5.1.1 blobs from your device; the only blobs you can get are the ones that Apple's servers are serving up, which currently are the ones for 6.0.1. That is, you can only download blobs for the latest version from Apple at the point in time that you do the download.

-- Nathan
NathanA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
You can't. You have to use TinyUmbrella, which I linked to in my previous response. TinyUmbrella allows you to download the blobs for your device from Apple for the current version of iOS, as well as any blobs from past versions that you might have saved on Cydia.

Please note that you can't download the blobs directly from your device for whatever version of iOS it is currently running. So for example, if you are running 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 is the latest version from Apple, and you have never saved your blobs in the past, you can't "rip" copies of the 5.1.1 blobs from your device; the only blobs you can get are the ones that Apple's servers are serving up, which currently are the ones for 6.0.1. That is, you can only download blobs for the latest version from Apple at the point in time that you do the download.

-- Nathan
Thanks, so I take it, it's too late for the 5.1.1 blobs? Any other sources which might have them or are they only available on Apple servers?
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
NathanA
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Thanks, so I take it, it's too late for the 5.1.1 blobs? Any other sources which might have them or are they only available on Apple servers?
Only Apple knows the "secret sauce" (crypto keys) for making the blobs, so once they stop making them for older iOS versions, it is impossible to get them, and thus impossible to restore back to an older version.

You can't use someone else's blobs because blobs are specific to each phone, based on that phone's serial number. Since they are encrypted, there's no way to modify them.

-- Nathan
NathanA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:51 PM   #12
kmj523
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
My phone is jailbroken and not updated but people want to downgrade back to ios5 so there has to be a file somewhere
kmj523 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:49 PM   #13
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj523 View Post
My phone is jailbroken and not updated but people want to downgrade back to ios5 so there has to be a file somewhere
Nope!
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2007
I've seen links referring to downgrading without shsh blobs. Is that all BS?
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:59 PM   #15
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I've seen links referring to downgrading without shsh blobs. Is that all BS?
yes
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
I've seen links referring to downgrading without shsh blobs. Is that all BS?
There's links and youtube videos claiming all kinds of stuff.
Bigfoot, aliens, elvis still alive. You name it
Not everything you will find on the internet is true.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #17
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
There's links and youtube videos claiming all kinds of stuff.
Bigfoot, aliens, elvis still alive. You name it
Not everything you will find on the internet is true.
What about mermaids animal planet says there real. So they must be right?
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
What about mermaids animal planet says there real. So they must be right?
Mermaids are real

Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:55 AM   #19
Siggen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
What if you have an A5 device, all blobs saved (iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x and iOS 6.x blobs), and use the restore function in redsn0w to go from 6.x to 4.x to 5.x ?
__________________
13" MBP 2.8Ghz i7 128GB SSD + 750GB HDD 16GB RAM OSX ML
iPhone 5 64GB Black iOS6.1 Jailbreak
iPad 2 64GB Black iOS6.1 Jailbreak
ATV3 & Samsung 55" // iOS Dev Account
Siggen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:14 AM   #20
TriJetHero
macrumors 601
 
TriJetHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
What if you have an A5 device, all blobs saved (iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x and iOS 6.x blobs), and use the restore function in redsn0w to go from 6.x to 4.x to 5.x ?
Only for the iPad2 with blobs from 4.x and 5.x

Not for the 4S, once at iOS 6 there is (currently) no going back.
__________________
iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
iPad 4 3G iOS 7.1.2 Stock
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 7.1.2 Pangu
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:23 AM   #21
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Mermaids are real

Image
Hey, I grew up in Florida.
Those scales look awfully familiar.
I think I dated that mermaid

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
What if you have an A5 device, all blobs saved (iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x and iOS 6.x blobs), and use the restore function in redsn0w to go from 6.x to 4.x to 5.x ?
Read this blogpost carefully.
Every nuance about restoring/downgrading is explained.
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: IP4 and downgrade from ios 7 to ios 6 (or 5) but with an error, please!!! Jedi82 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Feb 25, 2014 12:01 PM
iPhone: Downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5 then JB without SHSH blobs? php111 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 52 Dec 1, 2013 01:19 PM
General: Downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6.1.4 using SHSH blobs david19au Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 15 Sep 18, 2013 09:00 PM
iOS 7 -> iOS 6 downgrade - battery corrupted? pk7 iOS 7 3 Jul 7, 2013 07:26 PM
Is there a way to downgrade from IOS 6 to IOS 5.1.1 (Iphone 4) (no SHSHblobs) TheShadowXX iOS 6 11 Oct 1, 2012 05:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC