Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
better resolution = clearer image

I believe kids these days are uptodate and smart enough to tell the difference.

And As I said... I have a kid. She couldn't tell until they were side by side playing the same exact same media.

It doesn't matter to kids ultimately... She happily goes back to her iPad 2 with 100% less complaints than the children on this forum.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I think it really depends on your needs. If your going to be mostly listening to music I'd go with the touch as its more portable. If you want to read books, or browse the web go with the mini.

If its for a 10 year old I might have to go with the touch as it's easier to bring to school and on the school bus.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Just curious why you'd give a 10 year old a iPad?

What happen to the good old days where kids socialized outside?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Don't most go with a smartphone nowadays? Not sure if they are allowed but they are easily hidden.

Maybe he get both the mini and iPod touch. He would have till Jan 24th to return either one at Best Buy.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
10 year olds shouldn't have iPads or smartphones. It's what's wrong with kids and society nowadays, IMO.

Get the kid a pair of rollerblades instead.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
10 year olds shouldn't have iPads or smartphones. It's what's wrong with kids and society nowadays, IMO.

Get the kid a pair of rollerblades instead.

So what, kids are too good to walk?

Back in my day we'd spend hours playing stick and rock.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I like your assumption that the child won't do both.

I completely agree. I grew up in the hood and was outside as soon as my homework was done until the lights came on. During the summer I was only inside to eat.

However, I live in the midwest so there are plenty of rainy days and winters are rough. On those days I played Atari. My kids play Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Temple Run, etc etc. And they both play math games.

I am sure there are parents out there who don't put time limits on their children with electronics, but mine do.

Not to mention, most of their current pictures are digital, currently on their iPads.

And instead of 45 records and cassette tapes, their music will also be on their minis, currently on their ipods.

Kids having iPads/iPods/Cell Phones isn't as one-dimensional as many make it out to be.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I think an iPod touch would be better. Easier for him to slip it in his pocket but also easier to lose since it's more mobile. Kids have small(er) hands so the iPod touch is good enough. He might want to use it to listen to music while out and an iPad mini is too big for that.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I think an iPod touch would be better. Easier for him to slip it in his pocket but also easier to lose since it's more mobile. Kids have small(er) hands so the iPod touch is good enough. He might want to use it to listen to music while out and an iPad mini is too big for that.

I agree - also don't forget that the Touch is an awesome little camera and your 10-year old will love using it for that :)

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I like your assumption that the child won't do both.

I'm not making assumptions that the child won't do both.

I personally think that a 10 year old should not have an iPad. It's a personal opinion. I think it's too early for that kind of stuff, but that's just me. We all have our styles and opinions.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'd suggest getting your brother an expensive MP3 player before dropping money on something he wouldn't really care about how valuable it is to lose or damage.

ANDRDSUKS

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
I'm not making assumptions that the child won't do both.

I personally think that a 10 year old should not have an iPad. It's a personal opinion. I think it's too early for that kind of stuff, but that's just me. We all have our styles and opinions.

Stay on topic. No one cares about your personal opinion unless you're answering the question.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
About the screen on the iPod touch 5G. During the keynote last year Phill Schiller said that it had the exact same screen as in the iPhone 5.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Wanting to buy an iPod Touch or an iPad Mini for my little brother. Hes 10.

What would be the better choice?
He enjoys using my iPhone 5 and the New iPad, but what would be more effective? I'm leaning towards the iPad Mini as I can use it in bed (iPad too big and iPhone 5 too small (missing my GS3..)) but the iPod touch can be more kidfriendly?

Share your opinions

While the iPhone maybe too small for an adult to read, the iPod touch maybe the right size for a 10 year olds hands. An iPad mini in a 10 year olds hands maybe akin to a full size iPad in an adults hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.