Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Howdee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Battery life?

How many hours are you getting on your MBAs (13")?

I'm getting roughly 6-7 on light usage and it still doesn't feel like it's enough. lol
Bluetooth off, screen brightness on 4th bar from the lowest setting.
Howdee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
That's about what I get when I'm trying to conserve battery life (similar settings to you). When I just use the computer normally without shutting down the dozens of programs I usually have open and with screen brightness about 2/3 max I get about 5hrs.

I'll be upgrading this computer whenever they can figure out how to give macbook airs true all day battery life. Hopefully Haswell will be a start.
__________________
13" MBA 2013, 1.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD
Saturn1217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 03:54 PM   #3
BenTrovato
macrumors 65816
 
BenTrovato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
I'm at 5 hours right now with brightness 1 bar off from max, 33% battery left - Says 1:55 to go. Surfing/typing/emails/streaming music. With the brightness really low, I usually get just over 8 hours. I wonder if I could squeeze out 10 hrs without wifi.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdee View Post
How many hours are you getting on your MBAs (13")?

I'm getting roughly 6-7 on light usage and it still doesn't feel like it's enough. lol
Bluetooth off, screen brightness on 4th bar from the lowest setting.
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 06:20 AM   #5
opinio
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdee View Post
How many hours are you getting on your MBAs (13")?

I'm getting roughly 6-7 on light usage and it still doesn't feel like it's enough. lol
Bluetooth off, screen brightness on 4th bar from the lowest setting.
I can get 8 hours at uni if the brightness it low.
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 04:55 PM   #6
bp1000
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Used my 2011 MBA daily since I had it. Has only 160 odd cycles on the battery but its defiantly taken a hit.

Health fluctuates between 80 and 84 and as soon as I unplug it the battery indicator falls to 99% within 30 seconds and falls to 97 fairly rapidly.

General use would be browser, email, Skype and similar. It's plugged in most of the day but I never shut it down, it always sleeps sometimes with a thunderbolt monitor plugged in. It likes to seep battery whilst sleeping so I wonder if this has lead to a health decline. It gets used off the charger occasionally and if its lost 5%-10% sleeping I normally let it drain a bit and recharge.

Not that happy how the battery has ended up. It normally lasts between 4 and 5 hours. 6 hours with light usage and low brightness.

When I first got it, it read 12 hours at 100% and lasted an easy 8 hours doing the same things.

Apart from the decline the only criticism is the horrible sleep/charger bug. If it went to sleep with the charger active and then I turn off the plug a few hours later, if I wake up the next morning and turn on the plug before waking it up it runs very hot and fans go berserk until I reboot it. Silly bug that has never been fixed. S I have to remember to wake it up first before turning on the plug. Other than that fantastic machine.
__________________
#applechat
bp1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
nheea
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Ok.. so how bad is it that my 21 months MBA has dropped to 79% current capacity?
I have reached 830 cycles Is that too much? I use it for work and pretty much anything else, but its life is almost the same (it changed a bit when I upgraded to Mountain Lion). The battery life varies from time to time. When I work it lasts even for 4 h (wi-fi on, music on, 2 browsers on).

When I travel, it lasts up to 5-5 1/2 h. When I'm traveling I watch only movies, the wi-fi is 98% of the time turned off.

My biggest problem is that now (for 2 days) it shows from time to time Service Battery. Have I reached a critical situation where I really really have to change it? My battery life is influenced somehow by that?
nheea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Battery life is always an issue until one day, like been staring at the screen so long that I felt the need to just close the dang thing and walk away and the machine was still at 35%. I figure that's good enough for me.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ventura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheea View Post
Ok.. so how bad is it that my 21 months MBA has dropped to 79% current capacity?
I have reached 830 cycles Is that too much? I use it for work and pretty much anything else, but its life is almost the same (it changed a bit when I upgraded to Mountain Lion). The battery life varies from time to time. When I work it lasts even for 4 h (wi-fi on, music on, 2 browsers on).

When I travel, it lasts up to 5-5 1/2 h. When I'm traveling I watch only movies, the wi-fi is 98% of the time turned off.

My biggest problem is that now (for 2 days) it shows from time to time Service Battery. Have I reached a critical situation where I really really have to change it? My battery life is influenced somehow by that?
I'm assuming you have a 2011 MBA. If that is the case, the battery is rated for 80% after 1000 charge cycles. You've pretty much have used up its life, especially being at 830 charge cycles. The service battery message is coming up because you have dropped below 80%. You might be able to get the health above 80% for a little bit longer, but asa it continues to drop the service battery message won't go away until you replace the battery.

My girlfriends battery only last to 450 charges before dropping below 80%. Even though it is rated at 1000 cycles, different factors will change that number.
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 02:48 AM   #10
nheea
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
I'm assuming you have a 2011 MBA. If that is the case, the battery is rated for 80% after 1000 charge cycles. You've pretty much have used up its life, especially being at 830 charge cycles. The service battery message is coming up because you have dropped below 80%. You might be able to get the health above 80% for a little bit longer, but asa it continues to drop the service battery message won't go away until you replace the battery.

My girlfriends battery only last to 450 charges before dropping below 80%. Even though it is rated at 1000 cycles, different factors will change that number.
Ok, thank you. Indeed my MBA it's from 2011.
I shall re-calibrate it tonight and hope for the best. If it would work at least another 3 months I'm more than happy
nheea is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk battery life. What kind of battery life are you getting? animalx Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 44 Nov 8, 2014 03:50 PM
iPad mini short battery life (is there a standardized battery test?) vladobizik iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 9 Jan 27, 2013 06:47 PM
Maximum Life Battery? New Battery Needed For Late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro PeteJames MacBook Pro 3 Sep 22, 2012 06:24 PM
After battery is full, should I unplug it to preserve the battery shelf life? urbantea MacBook Pro 2 Aug 26, 2012 02:42 AM
Do battery juice pack cases affect the iPhone battery life? saintforlife iPhone 3 Jun 1, 2012 08:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC