Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
1. Mount the iTunes 10.7 dmg
2. Launch Pacifist
3. Click Open Package and navigate to "Install iTunes" package in the mounted dmg. Pacifist will open it and you will see it's contents in a window.
4. Click on the first item in the list "Contents of Install iTunes" to select it.
4. Click the Install arrow in the top right menu bar of Pacifist.
5. It should prompt you for PW
6. From there on it will install, and you just need to click Replace when prompted (replace or update).

I recommend checking and repairing permissions afterwards with Disk Utility.

Thank you so much! You just got rid of so many headaches.

Friederich

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Thank you! This really worked! And I learned about Pacifist, which I had never heard of, and Kagi gained a well-earned $20!

Now I have to remember to always heed well my own advice: Never upgrade until you've read all the complaints.

denderecife

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Thank You! Thank You!!!

I am the dumbest person to download Itunes 11. After dragging the icon I went through hell... google and found great links on how to replace itunes, still I was getting the error until I downloaded Pacifist and installed Itunes 10.7 and replaced all files. My Itunes is back to working well!!! Thank:D you very much to all of you geeks!!!

canato

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
Guys! THIS IS HOW TO REALLY MAKE IT WORK!!!

I tried the advice posted here, and it didn't work. Until I discovered this tutorial, I followed it to the letter and, lo and behold, IT WORKED!!! I have iTunes 10.7 back, fully functional. You can find the tutorial here:

http://www.emacconsulting.com/apple/itunes/downgrade-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7/

Just do EXACTLY as it says. It was so frustrating, for a couple of days, not to have iTunes 10.7 functioning, not being able to use the store etc. but it's finally back now. You might consider making a donation for this guy.

chosenlink

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Pacifist not replacing files.

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread but still get the error (-42408).

When I ran Pacifist, I got a lot of pop up boxes telling me files couldn't be moved because they could not be modified. I don't know what that means.

Also, after running Pacifist on the iTunes 10.7 dmg, the version of iTunes that opens on my system is 10.6.3 which I pulled from TimeMachine to start this process.

Any idea?

I had this same problem and I actually stuck to the directions exactly (although I was downgrading from 11.0.4 which is a bit newer, down to 10.7). Pacifist would tell me the each file could not be moved with the option of Stopping or Continuing (continue just went to the next file which showed the same thing).

What I had to do was manually remove iTunes associated files and give my Hard Drive, /Library and /System/Library Read and Write Permissions.

To remove the iTunes associated files, follow steps 1-9 posted by "blorvis" here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4553695?start=30&tstart=0

Then change permissions:
1. Highlight your hard drive and Get Info (press Command+i)
2. go to the bottom and unlock the lock icon at the bottom right (it will ask for your password so make sure to input a username and password for an admin on the computer).
3. Change all the profiles under "Name" to "Read and Write" under Privileges.
4. Close the Get Info window

5. Open your Hard Drive folder and repeat steps 1-4 for the Library folder and /Systems/Library folder.

You should now be able to run pacifist without it complaining.

***RUN DISK UTILITY AND REPAIR PERMISSIONS AFTER EVERYTHING IS WORKING***

Also, you may need to select "Apply to enclosed items..." in Get Info for step 5, but only do this as a last resort.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.