Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Miqs
macrumors newbie

Little Snitch help please!

I have Little Snitch v2.5.2 and had it for a couple of years now working ok. I now find however that when I have LS active I cannot connect to my server with Safari but can with Google Chrome. Why is this? Can anyone tell me how to get Safari back and set it up so that I can only prevent the couple of dubious apps from calling home but allow everything else to function normally. I thought I had set the prefs up ok but something is wrong!

Miqs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:03 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Remove the Safari Rules, then you will get asked again next time and allow all.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Miqs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Remove the Safari Rules, then you will get asked again next time and allow all.
No it didn't work as you say. I deleted all the Safari rules and with LS active I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but couldn't and wasn't asked for any permission. I now see that if I try with Chrome also I cannot connect either. Both say there is a "server problem". Then when I disconnect from LS I then try to open Safari and Chrome it is ok. Obviously LS is stopping any internet connection direct, but I can link to the internet via my email messages. So how do I get LS to ask me for permission to connect Safari and Chrome directly? There must be a way. Failing that I guess a re installation of little Snitch and go through all the permissions again. Hopefully not!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqs View Post
No it didn't work as you say. I deleted all the Safari rules and with LS active I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but couldn't and wasn't asked for any permission. I now see that if I try with Chrome also I cannot connect either. Both say there is a "server problem". Then when I disconnect from LS I then try to open Safari and Chrome it is ok. Obviously LS is stopping any internet connection direct, but I can link to the internet via my email messages. So how do I get LS to ask me for permission to connect Safari and Chrome directly? There must be a way. Failing that I guess a re installation of little Snitch and go through all the permissions again. Hopefully not!
Bold is disable?

You can manually add a rule to allow all traffic in Safari or any other App, if this does not work some other process is blocked.

Last edited by justperry; Mar 29, 2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to bold text.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Miqs
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I deleted the "deny connections" in "all applications" and then manually put in rules for Safari and Chrome which seems to have worked and negative rules for the apps that I am suspicious of. Thanks again.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqs View Post
Thanks. I deleted the "deny connections" in "all applications" and then manually put in rules for Safari and Chrome which seems to have worked and negative rules for the apps that I am suspicious of. Thanks again.
I like Little Snitch but it can give headaches once in a while.

Good it's solved.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Miqs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I like Little Snitch but it can give headaches once in a while.
I'll second that!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store