Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
LOL....I think some people in the States have to travel further than that.....for some people living just 25 miles from an Apple store would be a luxury!

Stop moaning!

I agree. I'm in a country with Apple Stores.... thankfully. To get to my nearest one involves a half hour ferry that runs every 2 hours, and a bit more than an hour's drive. And that is for an Apple Authorized Store... not the full deal. For a real Apple Store it's 5 hours door-to-door - including the ferry. That what couriers are for, eh?

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
I don't know if it's related to the Mayan nonsense prediction around the end of the world but there is an awful lot of massive overreaction proliferating the internet this week. This is a great example.

All vendors change their terms and conditions and businesses must either adapt , change or die. That is the reality of business. It may not be to the delight of everyone but it will definitely be to the benefit of someone.

Apple don't disgust me. They delight and frustrate me in equal measure but disgust? I'd save that word for somebody that deserves it....

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
What were the Apple terms ?

Apple are demanding that resellers have a minimum sq footage, similar to that of apple stores, but these come at a premium price...and with the very very small margins these reseller make its not viable...Apple looked into opening a shop there wbut declined because of the area...as I've said for me and many other loyal KRCS and Apple customers..it's a no win situation, of course I will buy Apple stuff, Apple won't lose in the long run but the convenience has gone, and we can all say buy on line, I wonder how many would buy a car on line without taking a look, and taking it in knowing your get a good service...anyway ce la vie.

----------

I don't know if it's related to the Mayan nonsense prediction around the end of the world but there is an awful lot of massive overreaction proliferating the internet this week. This is a great example.

All vendors change their terms and conditions and businesses must either adapt , change or die. That is the reality of business. It may not be to the delight of everyone but it will definitely be to the benefit of someone.

Apple don't disgust me. They delight and frustrate me in equal measure but disgust? I'd save that word for somebody that deserves it....

You promote a product for 30 years..a product that could never really get a decent market...but you stick with it because you believe in that product..then that company (Apple)gets very big...too big for its boots maybe...then greed comes into...but margins are still low for these resellers..then demands are made that are not commercially viable...and they're S@@t on for all their efforts in opening shops to "spread the word" then apple get on the band wagon...find out high st shops work...and push the others to one side...I'd be pissed off, but then your not the one in that situation I expect....

----------

I agree. I'm in a country with Apple Stores.... thankfully. To get to my nearest one involves a half hour ferry that runs every 2 hours, and a bit more than an hour's drive. And that is for an Apple Authorized Store... not the full deal. For a real Apple Store it's 5 hours door-to-door - including the ferry. That what couriers are for, eh?

Courier couldn't take it to the store in 15 minutes fix and return same day though....anyway it's not so much about my time..it's now apple are pushing there loyal resellers into a corner..for what ? No more sales in reality...certainly not now a very smart in your face apple reseller store will be gone

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
I work for a reseller/service provider and am perfectly aware of the impact of changes that vendors terms can have. It's not great and it feels unfair but if you can't adapt then it can be really damaging but thanks for the massive assumption. In this instance I absolutely do know what I'm talking about.

Apples reseller terms are the worst of all the Tier 1 vendors (bar none) but that is not their primary route to market (nor their secondary) so their stance is not a surprise.

Ellen West

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
I wouldn't recommend you use Animacs in Peterborough. He is not certified and is not authorised to work on Apple computers. Having seen the quality of his work I would tell you to steer well clear. If you want help then go to John Lewis. They use a company with over 10 years experience. They aren't authorised either so won't do warranty work, but they don't say that Apple certified them for the great work they were doing! There's also a company in Royston who are excellent.

Last edited:

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I'm sure you'll understand if I don't respond directly to your comments about Apple, suffice to say that a combination of determined landlords and Apple's continued strive for excellence in premises size and location have left us in an untenable position.
To me that says that KRCS have determined that the cost of a larger store doesn't exceed the amount of business they make in the locality. They've always had a small shop in Peterborough, even before they moved and all their other stores look much larger, so perhaps this was always just one step away from happening.

If you really have an issue with your Mac your could take it to the Cambridge store, you can make genius bar reservations online and the Grand Arcade has a car park so no long treks required - should be easy as ;)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
......I have been using your products for 20 years...and before you even opened a store, I was purchasing my products from a company in the UK called KRCS...having purchased all my Apple items from them as an Apple reseller and for their loyalty you treat them like this...(letter I sent to KRCS in the UK today)

I have today, after visitng your shop in Peterborough, been informed that it is to close this Saturday 22/12/12..due to Apples quite ridiculous terms ! I have been an Apple user Since 1991 and have not even owned a PC. I have been hooked on Apple ever since, and have always used your company for my purchases as much as I can. I have nothing but great admiration for your company in its loyality to Apple, and being a reseller of their products for all these years, only for them to shoot you in the back with their terms they now stipulate for a high st reseller . I have always found the shop friendly and very very helpful, sorting out any, albiet few problems I have had with my Mac…Question is now where do I go ? I always thought that one day Apple would open a shop in Peterborough that would be the demise of KRCS…but to find Apple won't because its not viable and yet they expect you to open a shop with a larger area, increasing your costs 3 fold is simply disgusting… and after Saturday there will be nothing, no personal touch, no free help with my Apple products !..i would always support local retail where I could. I realise with internet based purchasing would have an effect on high st sales but theres no replacement for seeing a product face to face, and for the staff to be friendly on a first name basis. Its very sad and a great loss..I wish your staff at Peterborough all the best.

KInd regards

Ian Watson

I understand where your coming from.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I think this has happened to a lot of customers. They seem to allow people to become resellers, and then open up stores at the places of the best performing resellers. If you want to make money out of mac then your business needs to have the enterprise support side of it on lockdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.