Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
What are the advantages of a tablet or ipad over an ultrabook or an MBA?

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Lighter, takes up less space, better battery life. An iPad is also cheaper than a MacBook Air, and you can insert a SIM-card directly into the device.

Those are the main advantages.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
So am I right in assuming that ipad is cheaper and more portable but more limited in functionality compared to an MBA?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
So am I right in assuming that ipad is cheaper and more portable but more limited in functionality compared to an MBA?

yes, you're right. very limited if you ask me. but that's for the individual consumer to decide.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I have a better question, what are you looking to use them for? With that information, we cna tell you which will be better at what.

I already use an iPhone and a big laptop(heavy and chunky one) so I'm looking for something I can easily use while on the train or plane. Maybe watch videos, play some games to pass the time.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I already use an iPhone and a big laptop(heavy and chunky one) so I'm looking for something I can easily use while on the train or plane. Maybe watch videos, play some games to pass the time.
Well then you kninda know what you can do with an iPad and with an Air. It sounds like an iPad might cover what you want then.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
I have both iPad4 and MBA. I use the iPad 95% of the time.

I use the MBA to print, if I need a USB slot, download bit torrents files and play them on TV without Apple TV.

I have the wifi iPad, so I use the MBA with an Internet stick for wifi access when I'm in Mexico for the winter. If I had the cellular iPad, I wouldn't have to do that, I would just get a Telcel SIM card in Mexico fo the iPad.

I would like to only need the iPad, but unfortunately there are still things that require a laptop.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
If it is your only computing device then yeah, it is tough to do with the iPad alone. The iPad will do a lot but not everything.

I have to strongly disagree with others here who said the iPad is not a workhorse or productivity tool. They either have an unusual use case or don't know all they can do on an iPad.

I have an iMac, MBA and iPad 3. In the office I use the iMac mostly. Good for go to meeting and heavy document creation and editing.

On the road I use the iPad 99% of the time now. My MBA is gathering dust although my daughters use it because the Minecraft version is batter than the mobile version.

What do I do on my iPad? Give presentations, light editing of documents, email, browsing, news reading, forums, some gaming, and video streaming and watching. Frankly, the iPad is better at every one of those tasks for me on the go.

Not only is the iPad lighter and more portable than the MBA, but the user experience is better with an iPad. These is something to touching the screen and directly interacting with your work that can't be translated well with a mouse or touchpad.

It is a different and more satisfying experience for me. I can't wait until my iMac provides something similar and we can mature beyond the complex, clunky computer OS and hardware paradigm. Any laptop is like working in 2003 to me. Bigger, lower battery life, slower, problem prone, bloated and expensive software, limited built in connectivity. Seriously. It's more like 1998 even.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

All sorts of things. HP Envy has a detachable tablet running full Windows. The Asus Transformer is similar, but runs Android. The Macbook Air is similar, but doesn't have a detachable keyboard. The iPad pairs nicely with an external bluetooth keyboard (I use mine along with an Origami Incase Workstation on the train).

That's four operating systems, four devices, and a lot of overlapping use. In my case, the iPad is perfect for my work, which involves a lot of writing, so it is what I use most of the time. It also has the best battery life of any of the devices I mentioned.

For your use case something else might fit better. Games? Well, that covers a lot of territory ranging from Angry Birds to Bioshock Infiniti :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
unless you are considering buying a 2nd computer, you should never be pondering the question of iPad vs laptop. everyone needs the full OS on at least 1 machine in their household. anything extra on top of that, the iPad could be considered.

i personally have (1) laptop, (1) netbook that i've had for a long long time, and (1) iPad 3. at the very minimum i need at least the laptop. everything else on top has just been extra

S

syd430

I have a better question, what are you looking to use them for? With that information, we cna tell you which will be better at what.

If they're are asking that in the first place, they probably only need an ipad.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
unless you are considering buying a 2nd computer, you should never be pondering the question of iPad vs laptop. everyone needs the full OS on at least 1 machine in their household. anything extra on top of that, the iPad could be considered.

i personally have (1) laptop, (1) netbook that i've had for a long long time, and (1) iPad 3. at the very minimum i need at least the laptop. everything else on top has just been extra

Not "everyone." It depends on your use case. Me? I will probably sell my MBA this year and just make do with my netbook for the rare occasions when I need a computer. I don't use the computer much anymore, the iPad covers almost everything for my particular profession, but there are a few specialized things the iPad literally cannot do. It's too bad, but it's true.

Then again, not "everyone" needs to do these specialized tasks. Some people I know don't even own computers! An iPad would be quite an advanced tool in their case, and a laptop would be wasted on them :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Not "everyone." It depends on your use case. Me? I will probably sell my MBA this year and just make do with my netbook for the rare occasions when I need a computer. I don't use the computer much anymore, the iPad covers almost everything for my particular profession, but there are a few specialized things the iPad literally cannot do. It's too bad, but it's true.

Then again, not "everyone" needs to do these specialized tasks. Some people I know don't even own computers! An iPad would be quite an advanced tool in their case, and a laptop would be wasted on them :)

the ones who don't even own a computer shouldn't even be considered here.

and a netbook is still a computer btw

Boy1der

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
First you have to look at what you're doing. Face facts: if all you're doing is browsing the web and listening to music then downsize to the tablet. Thats what they're best at with maximum portability to boot.

I've tried both and for me I'd much rather do rudimentary tasks on a tablet than an ultrabook which is not all that different from my laptop, side for the thinness which doesn't necessarily equate to portability.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
With apps like FileBrowser, Documents by Readdle, iCab Mobile, Textastic, Prompt, etc., I'm able to get much of the same functionality as I do with my MBP.

Then there are all the apps and other cool things I'm able to do with a cellular iPad that's either not possible with my MBP or would be impractical if it could.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
the ones who don't even own a computer shouldn't even be considered here.

Why not? People don't emerge from the birth canal with a laptop in their hands. They have to buy one someday, and for many students, the iPad is more than sufficient. For many others, it may not be. My point is that everyone has a use case, and not everyone's requires OSX or Windows.

and a netbook is still a computer btw
Indeed. I thought I made it clear that in my use case I need a computer. In this, you and I are apparently somewhat similar. Where we differ is that I don't assume everyone has to be like me. I also appear to get a lot more use out of the iPad for work than you do. Again, different use cases and all of that.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If you already had iPhone then MacBook air is the best choice IMO. But, if your usage (& future usage) is browsing, reading and games only then MBA is too expensive for that. Everything (almost) in iPad can be done in iPhone as well.
If you take MBA get the 13". You'll really appreciate battery and screen real estate without too much bulk & weight compared to iPad.

Last edited:

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If you are looking to just watch videos/play games while in a plane or train your three options (That are Apple products) should be:

1) 11" MBA
2) iPad
3) iPad Mini

I am not including the 13" MBA since you already have another computer as you said and since in most planes an 11" is WAAAAY more comfortable to use.

With that being said I would say you should get an iPad 4 (or wait for 5 coming later this year). My reasoning is you already have a computer and if you do not intend to do real work while on your plane/train trips you do not require a keyboard. The iPad mini is not ideal for watching movies/playing games (in my opinion...I am sure a lot of people disagree with me) so the iPad is the obvious answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.