Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 4S 6.1.2 JailBroken I am either going to get iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S4...I am leaning more towards iPhone 5 because I have always had iPhones and I know that they work however, I am not interested in buying an iPhone 5 unless it will have iOS 6.1.2 because I use TetherMe a lot and the main reason I'm upgrading is to get 4GLTE capabilities. On the other hand, if I was to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 I could tether no matter the software version Via FoxFi. My question here is does anyone know whether the iPhone 5 should come with iOS 6.1.2 or will it come with the iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 which is Un-JailBreakable, because if it will most likely come with iOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 then I will just get Samsung Galaxy S4 although I am also not sure about the bigger size of Samsung Galaxy S4.

Last edited:

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I can't say for sure on new iPhones, I did just get a replacement from an Apple store two weeks ago and it came with 6.1.4. I would go to a third party store like bestbuy and try and pick out a cool sales rep and just ask them if they have any in that they've had on the shelf for a while......if they're a douche about it just leave and try again somewhere else. If you get a cool one buy the phone they've had the longest and take it home and see, if it's on 6.1.4 take it back and trade for S4.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I picked up an AT&T iphone 5 64gb from BB a 3 weeks ago to try there network again after about 2yrs of being with Verizon. The phone came with 6.0.2, Build date was early January.

If you want an old build, your best bet is the 64gb versions since they sit on the shelf the longest, this has been my experience in the past also with iphones.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Got three iPhone 5 direct from Apple factory unlocked and they all came with 6.1.4

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for all the help I will probably just get a Samsung Galaxy S4...Just scared I will miss iMessage has anyone else went to the Samsung Galaxy S4 from iPhone and if so are you happy you did, do you miss iMessage any reason you wish you still had iPhone?? Also if I was to get a white iPhone 5 would I really need a case??

Last edited:

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for all the help I will probably just get a Samsung Galaxy S4...Just scared I will miss iMessage has anyone else went to the Samsung Galaxy S4 from iPhone and if so are you happy you did, do you miss iMessage any reason you wish you still had iPhone?? Also if I was to get a white iPhone 5 would I really need a case??

I had the S4 for about a month, and yes, I missed iMessage. Having a swpye keyboard mostly made up for it, but those read receipts and reply notifications in iMessage are hard to give up.

The biggest difference with the S4 are the ergonomics of it. The iPhone has nice clicky buttons for lock and volume and you find yourself struggling a bit to "control" the phone that you don't do with the iPhone. Also, because the S4 is larger and the bezel is curved and thinner, you'll go to grab the phone but accidentally touch the screen and activate something with necessarily knowing it. I can't tell you how many times I did that. I'd be in navigation mode, go to grab the phone and wind up in another screen or app.

The camera on the S4 is killer, very nice photos.

The battery life on the S4 though wound up being a dealbreaker. I would unplug it at 8am and it would be dead by 3pm. My iPhone 5 easily lasts all day until I put it back on the charger at around 11pm.

So I'm back to the iPhone 5. I miss the camera and I miss the swype keyboard, but that's all I miss.

By the way, I purchased a new iPhone 5 at Apple and it came with 6.1.2. That was a couple of weeks ago.

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Doesn't Verizon give a 14 day return period and charge like a $30 restocking fee?? Am I right??

4GLTE lover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for all of your help I am going to take my chances and get the iPhone 5, and if it doesn't have iOS 6.1.2 I can always wait for iOS 7
2-3 more months.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.