Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Dual Monitor on Late 2012 Mac Mini

Hi all. I have recently purchased dual monitors for my MM set up. 24" Phillips Moda's.

The main monitor is run off thunderbolt to hdmi, the second hdmi to hdmi.

The second monitor is ok but the main one seems to have a yellowish tint.

What i mean is, if i open Safari and drag the page to the second monitor and stop between screens the main side is yellowish and the second monitor side is pure white.

There are loads of settings on the Moda and have tried to adjust them but the picture is still not as clear as the second monitor.

I have swapped the connections so i dont think it has anything to do with them.

Im just wondering if this is a common thing with dual monitor set up with the MM before i return the monitor as faulty.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
It seems that there are some issues with using HDMI on some MacMinis with some monitors.
There was an update to fix some problems with HDMI, so make sure you've installed all the Apple Software Updates.

However, if you've switched the connections/monitors, and the same monitor has the yellow tint when connected to the Thunderbolt port, then that does suggest a problem with the monitor, not the Mini.

My advice is to use DVI, with a suitable adaptor, if your monitor has that socket. Otherwise, take it back.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
It seems that there are some issues with using HDMI on some MacMinis with some monitors.
There was an update to fix some problems with HDMI, so make sure you've installed all the Apple Software Updates.

However, if you've switched the connections/monitors, and the same monitor has the yellow tint when connected to the Thunderbolt port, then that does suggest a problem with the monitor, not the Mini.

My advice is to use DVI, with a suitable adaptor, if your monitor has that socket. Otherwise, take it back.
Thanks for the quick reply.

All up dates have been done and the monitors have DVI as well as HDMI so ill give that a shot before i return the monitor.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a
 
monkeybagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
I am starting to wonder if this is a "normal" characteristic of the differences in the interfaces...

I have a 2010 Mac mini, and had two 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors and also noticed this in OS X and in Windows. It was not substantial and I am not into photography or video editing where I could image it would be a make or break situation, but I just wonder if it is because of the interface technology?
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
I am starting to wonder if this is a "normal" characteristic of the differences in the interfaces...

I have a 2010 Mac mini, and had two 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors and also noticed this in OS X and in Windows. It was not substantial and I am not into photography or video editing where I could image it would be a make or break situation, but I just wonder if it is because of the interface technology?
I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.

I have just applied a dual screen wallpaper and the difference in the picture on both sides is very noticeable.

Looks like i'll be returning the monitor.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.
I have just applied a dual screen wallpaper and the difference in the picture on both sides is very noticeable.
Looks like i'll be returning the monitor."

Have you tried calibrating the "yellow tint" monitor using the "Color" panel of the Displays preference pane?
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.
I have just applied a dual screen wallpaper and the difference in the picture on both sides is very noticeable.
Looks like i'll be returning the monitor."

Have you tried calibrating the "yellow tint" monitor using the "Color" panel of the Displays preference pane?
Yes. Ive tried everything.

Theoretically it shouldn't need calibrating as they are identical monitors connected to the same system (albeit different connections).

I have a new one coming on tuesday so i'll wait and see then. if theres no difference then i'll know that its just the way the MM acts using dual monitors.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:52 AM   #8
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
if theres no difference then i'll know that its just the way the MM acts using dual monitors.
.... using HDMI.

I have two identical monitors using DVI and there is no colour difference at all. If you tried using DVI and got different results, then either it's the monitor, or something very screwy is going on.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:18 AM   #9
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
.... using HDMI.

I have two identical monitors using DVI and there is no colour difference at all. If you tried using DVI and got different results, then either it's the monitor, or something very screwy is going on.
I take it your using DVI on one and HDMI on the other or are you using a splitter?
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:01 AM   #10
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
I take it your using DVI on one and HDMI on the other or are you using a splitter?
No. HDMI to DVI adaptor on one; MiniDisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI adaptor on the other.
The first adaptor comes with the Mini; the second is available from the Apple Store.

Last edited by benwiggy; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Ok. So the new monitor has arrived and still no difference.

Had Apple on the phone last night and they cant figure it out either. Their only suggestion is to take it into Apple and let them have a look at it just incase one of the connectors are faulty. (Only problem with that is i have just added my own SSD and dont really want to take everything apart again. Still unsure if this voids the warranty as Apple are not specific about this).

If for instance i bought a HDMI splitter and ran both monitors from one port would this expand the monitor or would both monitors display the same image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	399620  

Last edited by Designed4Mac; Feb 27, 2013 at 05:54 AM.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:02 PM   #12
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
If for instance i bought a HDMI splitter and ran both monitors from one port would this expand the monitor or would both monitors display the same image.
Buy the Apple MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor, and use that from the Thunderbolt port. Use the HDMI to DVI adaptor that comes with the Mini.

There do seem to be issues with HDMI. Unless you're actually hooking your Mini up to a TV, I wouldn't use it. (It reminds of the days when computers had a UHF output so you could plug them into your TV...!)
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Designed4Mac
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Wish I Knew
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Buy the Apple MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor, and use that from the Thunderbolt port. Use the HDMI to DVI adaptor that comes with the Mini.

There do seem to be issues with HDMI. Unless you're actually hooking your Mini up to a TV, I wouldn't use it. (It reminds of the days when computers had a UHF output so you could plug them into your TV...!)
Only one problem. i have 2xHDMI and 1xVGA on each monitor. Would this still work if i had hdmi to dvi with a dvi to vga lead on the end of it and a minidisplayport to vga on the other?
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:27 AM   #14
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
the monitors have DVI as well as HDMI so ill give that a shot
So you don't have DVI?

Well, VGA is an old standard from back in the day, and I'm not sure it's the best option for modern digital monitors. You can buy direct adaptors to VGA, but if you don't have DVI ports on your monitors, then I would stick with HDMI and persevere with fixing this problem.
I'm not sure how to proceed, however.

You could test new a user account, to rule out any user prefs or settings that are causing the issue. Otherwise, persist with Apple. You've successfully shown it's not the monitor.

But you've definitely installed this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1616

Last edited by benwiggy; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Magrathea
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Smile Fixed my problem thanks.

True, I just experienced this with a crappy / cheapy AOC monitor. Worked fine on my MBA but not as a second monitor attached via TB on my mini (mid 2012). As the smart poster suggested I now have the cheapy AOC going from the HDMI out of the mini and my better VP2365eb Viewsonic on the end of the thunderbolt chain. Problem solved. Just need to then tell OS X that you want to make the TB connected monitor your main one and you're set.
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
docprego
macrumors 6502a
 
docprego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
I had the EXACT same problem with my dual LG LED monitor setup and a Mac Mini late 2013. Tried everything! I swapped monitors so that they were hooked up to the opposite cable and yet the problem persisted! It's unexplainable and mind boggling.

I even noted a similar problem using a Windows 8 PC. It seems that these computers do not output equal signals to both monitors. It's extremely annoying but I have found no solution.
__________________
| iPad Air 32GB WiFi White | iPhone 5 16GB White T-Mobile | AppleTV 3rd Gen x2 | Space Reserved for New Mac Mini debuting sometime this decade (maybe) |
docprego is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Mac mini = dual monitor set up? dapitts08 Mac mini 14 Oct 19, 2013 01:27 PM
Mac Mini late 2012 dual screen maybe? keogh Mac mini 4 Jun 30, 2013 09:17 PM
Mac Mini Late 2012 and LG IPS234 Monitor oldboy118 Mac mini 5 Mar 6, 2013 07:11 AM
Late 2012 mac mini or late 2012 imac? Pianoman0018 iMac 2 Jan 7, 2013 05:01 AM
Clone from Late 2012 iMac to 2012 Mac Mini? LCD iMac 1 Dec 29, 2012 08:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps