Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mountainmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I have a 30" apple cinema HD display, and a 2010 macbook pro
I had been previously running the monitor at half its native resolution, but I just got the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter from the Apple store, so that I could run it at its full 2560x1600.
but when I connect it to my laptop, the display options only have a 640x480 option for the monitor, which can't even display that low a resolution.
so the power light is blinking three times.
I reset PRAM a couple times and have updated my computer, but it still doesn't work.
does anyone know why this is happening?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 1.11.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 1.11.05 AM.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 461

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have a 30" apple cinema HD display, and a 2010 macbook pro
I had been previously running the monitor at half its native resolution, but I just got the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter from the Apple store, so that I could run it at its full 2560x1600.
but when I connect it to my laptop, the display options only have a 640x480 option for the monitor, which can't even display that low a resolution.
so the power light is blinking three times.
I reset PRAM a couple times and have updated my computer, but it still doesn't work.
does anyone know why this is happening?

Sounds like your ram has gone bad in the Mac Book Pro, which reduces your videoram. Try reseating it. How much ram do you have in the MBP?

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Vram should not have a bearing on the resolution. it takes very little vram to display the desktop.

I would test the adapter on another computer to see if it is not DoA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.