Charging iPhone Concern - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
PatrickW98
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Subrubs of Chicago, IL
Charging iPhone Concern

I charge my iPhone every other day. On a new charge in one day I go from 100% to about 55% at the end of the day. The next day I go from 55% to about 5% by the end of the day. Is it better to charge it daily at 55% or every other day at 5%?
__________________
iPhone 4S - 16 GB; White ~ iPad "3" - 16 GB; White; WiFi Only ~ iPod Touch 2 - 8GB; Black ~ iPod Nano 2 - 2GB; Silver
PatrickW98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW98 View Post
I charge my iPhone every other day. On a new charge in one day I go from 100% to about 55% at the end of the day. The next day I go from 55% to about 5% by the end of the day. Is it better to charge it daily at 55% or every other day at 5%?
Doesn't matter, either way.
Tyler23 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3
beMaC
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW98 View Post
I charge my iPhone every other day. On a new charge in one day I go from 100% to about 55% at the end of the day. The next day I go from 55% to about 5% by the end of the day. Is it better to charge it daily at 55% or every other day at 5%?
It doesn't really matter, at least run the battery completely out (the phone dies) and do a complete charge every month.
beMaC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
TyPod
macrumors 68000
 
TyPod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: And Yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMaC View Post
It doesn't really matter, at least run the battery completely out (the phone dies) and do a complete charge every month.
I agree. Just make sure to drain your battery every now an then!
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:16 PM   #5
ogs123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMaC View Post
It doesn't really matter, at least run the battery completely out (the phone dies) and do a complete charge every month.
It does matter. Deep discharges dramatically reduce the life of the battery. You should recharge it as often as possible. Don't ever run the battery completely out unless you want to calibrate the % battery meter, which is kind of useless anyway.
ogs123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW98 View Post
I charge my iPhone every other day. On a new charge in one day I go from 100% to about 55% at the end of the day. The next day I go from 55% to about 5% by the end of the day. Is it better to charge it daily at 55% or every other day at 5%?
Go to Apple.com

There you will find all you need to know about battery care. It's a great site designed to keep the customers informed. All you have to do is read.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #7
beMaC
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMaC View Post
It doesn't really matter, at least run the battery completely out (the phone dies) and do a complete charge every month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogs123 View Post
It does matter. Deep discharges dramatically reduce the life of the battery. You should recharge it as often as possible. Don't ever run the battery completely out unless you want to calibrate the % battery meter, which is kind of useless anyway.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

"Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

Even Apple says so.
__________________
iPhone 5 White 32GB / iPhone 4s Black 16GB / iPhone 4 Black 16GB
iPad 4 White 32GB
iPod Classic Black 30GB
beMaC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Apple is all about being minimal and simple right? Just use it. It just works.
__________________
YouTube | @beautifulcode
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 5 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme | iPad signed by Steve Wozniak
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9
ogs123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMaC View Post
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

"Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

Even Apple says so.
"itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally"??? That sounds written more by a coach than an engineer. Anyway, a 100% discharge cycle every month does nothing to preserve or improve battery life per se, it just recalibrates the meter, which can prevent a premature shutdown when there's still charge in the battery but the meter thinks it's almost empty because is not correctly calibrated. So you could say that there is an apparent increase in capacity because the meter now lets you go deeper in the discharge cycle. On the other hand it's well known that deep discharge cycles reduce the battery capacity faster than shallower cycles, so you might not want to go deeper anyway. So, deep discharge cycles once a month are not going to really damage the battery, but the OP was asking about doing deep discharge cycles every other day, not once a month. And that does matter.
ogs123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:04 AM   #10
beMaC
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogs123 View Post
"itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally"??? That sounds written more by a coach than an engineer. Anyway, a 100% discharge cycle every month does nothing to preserve or improve battery life per se, it just recalibrates the meter, which can prevent a premature shutdown when there's still charge in the battery but the meter thinks it's almost empty because is not correctly calibrated. So you could say that there is an apparent increase in capacity because the meter now lets you go deeper in the discharge cycle. On the other hand it's well known that deep discharge cycles reduce the battery capacity faster than shallower cycles, so you might not want to go deeper anyway. So, deep discharge cycles once a month are not going to really damage the battery, but the OP was asking about doing deep discharge cycles every other day, not once a month. And that does matter.
Yes, electrons do move?... Ok, dont listen to Apple, the creators of the phone and listen to this guy.
__________________
iPhone 5 White 32GB / iPhone 4s Black 16GB / iPhone 4 Black 16GB
iPad 4 White 32GB
iPod Classic Black 30GB
beMaC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
I would never let my battery go that low on a regular basis. What if you have an emergency when the battery is almost dead? Power failure, accident, etc.....

Paranoid maybe but letting it go that low every day or every other day is too risky.

I don't care if my battery doesn't last a year or whatever. That's what warranties and AppleCare+ is for.
Givmeabrek is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I have never let my battery drop to zero and then recharge. Waste of time and does nothing for the battery. I just recharge every night. My battery last just as long and have never had any problems with batteries in my ios devices over the years. Want to recalibrate your battery, wait until battery is at 100% and with charger still connected to phone, reboot phone.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:23 PM   #13
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Just plug ur phone every night when u go to bed. Why the heck would u want to start the day at 50%? It makes no sense. I have never had to worry about my battery because I charge it every night while I sleep. Simple.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:54 PM   #14
reppans
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I'll admit to being a bit anal about Li-ion battery care, especially with non removable batts. Here's a few things I do - I also use it ~ 40% per day.

- charge daily, as mentioned shallower charges are better
- avoid charging to 100%
- minimize average voltage, but also leave yourself enough emergency capacity. So I charge ~ 80-40-80 or 70-30-70
- to satisfy the last two points, I charge in the morning so the batt sits at a low voltage while idle overnight, and for convenience use a light timer to charge say 6 to 7 am, just before I wake up.
- I also charge bareback on marble to minimize temps, just out of habit, but probably unnecessary - these devices stay pretty cool while charging.

Here's some data to back it up... The chart is a military study on capacity loss from different Li-ion charging habits - it supports the Batt Univ points.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries



I realize most people don't care and won't bother, but once your set up, there really is no extra work involved, except 5 secs to adjusting the light timer. It's worth it to me. YMMV
reppans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:31 AM   #15
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
i just charge mine at any level any time for any length of time, for the 2 years i'll have the phone it wont suffer
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:58 AM   #16
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppans View Post
I'll admit to being a bit anal about Li-ion battery care, especially with non removable batts. Here's a few things I do - I also use it ~ 40% per day.

- charge daily, as mentioned shallower charges are better
- avoid charging to 100%
- minimize average voltage, but also leave yourself enough emergency capacity. So I charge ~ 80-40-80 or 70-30-70
- to satisfy the last two points, I charge in the morning so the batt sits at a low voltage while idle overnight, and for convenience use a light timer to charge say 6 to 7 am, just before I wake up.
- I also charge bareback on marble to minimize temps, just out of habit, but probably unnecessary - these devices stay pretty cool while charging.

Here's some data to back it up... The chart is a military study on capacity loss from different Li-ion charging habits - it supports the Batt Univ points.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Image

I realize most people don't care and won't bother, but once your set up, there really is no extra work involved, except 5 secs to adjusting the light timer. It's worth it to me. YMMV
I think you are EXTREMELY anal about batteries

Your link is very interesting but in my opinion an user could charge his iPhone to the 100% without any problem, if he's going to use it after that.
It is important not to leave the phone at 100% without use it (switched off or in aero mode) for a long time, but if you're going to use it every day, I think is perfectly safe to charge it to full capacity.
__________________
Mac Mini - Macbook Pro 15" - MacBook Air 11"
Nexus 7 - 32Gb
iPhone 5S 16Gb - iPad Air 16Gb
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 06:08 AM   #17
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW98 View Post
I charge my iPhone every other day. On a new charge in one day I go from 100% to about 55% at the end of the day. The next day I go from 55% to about 5% by the end of the day. Is it better to charge it daily at 55% or every other day at 5%?
daily at 55%
chambone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:40 AM   #18
annaharris
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco
Refer this link for getting a detail explanation about charging iPhone. http://techtips.salon.com/proper-way...one-10167.html and it is fine to charge it daily but remember one thing, for a longer battery life get a full charge before you unplug it.
annaharris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #19
reppans
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
I think you are EXTREMELY anal about batteries

Your link is very interesting but in my opinion an user could charge his iPhone to the 100% without any problem, if he's going to use it after that.
It is important not to leave the phone at 100% without use it (switched off or in aero mode) for a long time, but if you're going to use it every day, I think is perfectly safe to charge it to full capacity.
Guilty as charged... I'm a flashlight hobbyist and good ones use Li-ion batts. You really have to understand Li-ions for that since the batts can turn the airtight tubes into pipe bombs.

Yeah, no problem topping up to 100%, it's what every manufacturer expects and plans for... the only question is whether you'd like your battery to last longer than average/expected. The military study chart shows a significant difference in capacity loss between 100-50-100 charging and 75-25-75 charging.... for me, that's worth 5 secs of setting a light timer at night.
reppans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppans View Post
Guilty as charged... I'm a flashlight hobbyist and good ones use Li-ion batts. You really have to understand Li-ions for that since the batts can turn the airtight tubes into pipe bombs.

Yeah, no problem topping up to 100%, it's what every manufacturer expects and plans for... the only question is whether you'd like your battery to last longer than average/expected. The military study chart shows a significant difference in capacity loss between 100-50-100 charging and 75-25-75 charging.... for me, that's worth 5 secs of setting a light timer at night.
Sure but my concerns aren't for the 5 secs needed to setup the timer. I can't afford to start a work day with only 75% of charge, because I'm not always within a power plug range so I need that 25% more.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaharris View Post
Refer this link for getting a detail explanation about charging iPhone. http://techtips.salon.com/proper-way...one-10167.html and it is fine to charge it daily but remember one thing, for a longer battery life get a full charge before you unplug it.
That article, without highlighting any technical study, basically says something totally different from what posted by reppans ...
__________________
Mac Mini - Macbook Pro 15" - MacBook Air 11"
Nexus 7 - 32Gb
iPhone 5S 16Gb - iPad Air 16Gb
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:12 PM   #21
reppans
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
Sure but my concerns aren't for the 5 secs needed to setup the timer. I can't afford to start a work day with only 75% of charge, because I'm not always within a power plug range so I need that 25% more...
I agree, I probably wouldn't bother going doing an extra charge in the middle of the day just to be kind to the battery. I just suggest the timer routine and being kind to te batt. for people like the OP and I that use around 40-50% per day.
reppans is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S home button concern KAB2010 iPhone 17 May 4, 2014 07:03 PM
iPhone 3g - not visible in iTunes, not showing charging but charging kenfollet iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Jun 30, 2013 01:33 PM
iPhone 5 charging cable has to be flipped after 5% to resume charging. BrÝdskivar iPhone 13 Jun 1, 2013 04:00 AM
iPhone shows charging screen but its not charging michelloster iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Aug 20, 2012 05:32 PM
iPhone shows charging screen but its not charging michelloster iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Aug 16, 2012 03:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC