Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hi

I have a Macbook Pro A1286 9,1 with a switching video card going to a 650M Nvidia Geforce GT 512MB . The Mac is currently running with a 500GB drive and 4GB.

As I have been enjoying Borderlands 1 & 2 on the Xbox , it is one game I would like to try out on this Machine and as the price has dropped recently my concerns on buying the game are due to some of the posts against Borderlands 2 where users state that the game crashes on the New Models due to the new Apple Graphics Card drivers.

However when I looked at the supporting graphics cards listed on a support page at 2k (the game developer) they state that it does support the graphics card in my machine.

Has anyone played Borderlands 2 successfully on this model or one of the models from when these MacBooks were released?

Also I read that a wired Xbox 360 controller can work with this game, does this also mean that a wireless controller with the plug in charge cable can also work?

Thanks

TimCS

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Plug in charge cable does not transmit data, so that won't work.

I have a GTX660 which is same family as the GT650M, BL2 runs just fine.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The 512 MB of vRAM in you MBP will constrain you a bit, but the game should run OK as long as you turn some of the settings down.

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
I haven't tried it on my MBP, but it works great on my 2012 iMac. (Not entirely relevant, I know :()

This deal is on right now:

http://www.macgamestore.com/product/2553/Borderlands-2/?

$10....not too steep for an experiment, right? :)

Thanks for your reply, yes in the UK its £20.99 on the App Store , I have got a gift card to cover that , probably sort this out soon.

Plug in charge cable does not transmit data, so that won't work.

I have a GTX660 which is same family as the GT650M, BL2 runs just fine.

Good to know about the controller - didn't want to buy another if it would have worked :)

The 512 MB of vRAM in you MBP will constrain you a bit, but the game should run OK as long as you turn some of the settings down.

Yes, I suspected 512mb would not give me a lot but I know it would be ok to run a game.

Thanks

TimCS

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Yes, I suspected 512mb would not give me a lot but I know it would be ok to run a game.

Borderlands 2 is extremely well optimized and will actually run quite well on your 650M. My workstation at the office is almost the exact same setup, and it runs like a top :D

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Borderlands 2 is extremely well optimized and will actually run quite well on your 650M. My workstation at the office is almost the exact same setup, and it runs like a top :D

Got it now thanks , just been trying out the resolution changes but stayed on the intro screen - that seems to handle them all but that is not the same obviously as playing the game

On the question of the controller. Here in the UK a company known as Game have a wired XBox controller and a wired Xbox Windows Controller.

Which is the right one for Borderlands on the Mac?

Thanks

TimCS

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Got game and controller now - Controller works fine at the menu - not started the game yet as I will play on this once I have more time :)

Thanks to everyone who has helped here on this

TimCS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.