Adding Second Hard Drive to Mac Mini - Page 12 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:35 PM   #276
scottsjack
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1 View Post
I'm curious about why more people don't stick the SSD in an external Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, or even USB3 enclosure? I've seen Firewire 800 with extra ports for daisy chaining for around $50, so only a little north of the data doubler cost. I understand that it's a tad slower than the internal interface, but SO much easier to install. It's my understanding that you can even do the fusion drive with the external if you really wanted to (though this would make ME very nervous). Booting via Firewire 800 is no problem.
FW is too slow, might as well get a hard drive. TB and USB have too few ports. Since there is an empty drive bay inside why not use it?
scottsjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:24 PM   #277
opinio
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I think it is more than a tad slower on FireWire. More like significantly slower if you're talking SSD.

I wouldn't even bother using an SSD on FireWire. You would gain little over a good 7200rpm HDD.

Also if you are like me and prefer the minimalist approach, I don't like key part of the system such as the OS connected via external wires. Particularly with kids around.
opinio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:07 PM   #278
tallpaul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1 View Post
I'm curious about why more people don't stick the SSD in an external Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, or even USB3 enclosure? I've seen Firewire 800 with extra ports for daisy chaining for around $50, so only a little north of the data doubler cost. I understand that it's a tad slower than the internal interface, but SO much easier to install. It's my understanding that you can even do the fusion drive with the external if you really wanted to (though this would make ME very nervous). Booting via Firewire 800 is no problem.
I've had a 2011 Mini with the only upgrade being 8Gb of ram and it's worked perfectly over the last 30 months as I've used the 500GB standard HD for processing conversions etc and then a WD 3TB FW800 aluminium book to store 1.5TB of HD movies and 1GB of tv box sets.

I was going to put an SSD in as it's perfumed so well on MBP 13 but as the Mini is really only a media centre and never uses any intense apps I thought it would be prudent to put the whole library on the two new 2TB drives and then use the WD 3TB as a back up as I've spent three years ripping DVDs and tagging in flicks so if the WD 3TB were ever to fail it would almost be irreplaceable.

It is nice to have the whole Mini in one self contained unit now with a further 1.5TB free.
tallpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 06:24 AM   #279
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Mac Mini 2010 4,1 - adding 2nd hard drive

Am I right to assume that I can't use the optical cable that attaches to the optical drive caddy for an additional hard drive if I remove the optical drive?

I swapped the original internal for an SSD years ago, but now my old external FW800 drive that stores my home folder is dying and I thought it would be best to bring it all internally since I never use the CD drive these days.

Do I have to get an Upper Bay cable <821-1500-A> or will the optical cable do the job?

I was planning to add a 2.5" 2TB drive in place of the optical.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:31 AM   #280
tallpaul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808? View Post
Am I right to assume that I can't use the optical cable that attaches to the optical drive caddy for an additional hard drive if I remove the optical drive?

I swapped the original internal for an SSD years ago, but now my old external FW800 drive that stores my home folder is dying and I thought it would be best to bring it all internally since I never use the CD drive these days.

Do I have to get an Upper Bay cable <821-1500-A> or will the optical cable do the job?

I was planning to add a 2.5" 2TB drive in place of the optical.
I'm not sure to be honest as I've never done a Mini with a DVD drive but I would imagine it's the same as the DVD in my Macbook Pro 13.

I put in the optibay and now have 2TB in it with Samsung 256GB 6gb/sec SSD.

if you got the kit below $50 for optibay and $29 for the enclosure for old DVD drive(I found this great for my MBP when you do occasionally need a dvd player and for the sake of $29 better not to let it go to waste)

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...=STORHDOPTIBAY

you could put a Samsung 2TB in the optibay and your Mini should be superb
tallpaul is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:58 PM   #281
tallpaul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Well it was all going so well...

I have the 2011 Mini with two 2TB samsung drives running fine for the last week nearly and I started copying over folders, started with 300GB of Blu Ray rips.

Came back to mini this evening and it had stopped at 90Gb and the warning message "disk not ejected properly" was in top right hand corner and the second 2TB drive was nowhere to be seen.

Had to open it up and disconnect and then reconnect the ribbon and then thankfully the drive was back on the desktop.

Second attempt to copy files failed within minutes and same erro message.

Could it be that when the drive is spinning it's some how moving a loose connection?
tallpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:29 PM   #282
tallpaul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Well it was all going so well...

I have the 2011 Mini with two 2TB samsung drives running fine for the last week nearly and I started copying over folders, started with 300GB of Blu Ray rips.

Came back to mini this evening and it had stopped at 90Gb and the warning message "disk not ejected properly" was in top right hand corner and the second 2TB drive was nowhere to be seen.

Had to open it up and disconnect and then reconnect the ribbon and then thankfully the drive was back on the desktop.

Second attempt to copy files failed within minutes and same erro message.

Could it be that when the drive is spinning it's some how moving a loose connection?
took the second 2tb drive out just now, I'm trying to copy 1.2TB of movies on to it via data usb adaptor, 60gb so far no problems.

This would point to the folded cable from ifixit that might be the issue?

my first thought was that maybe the black plastic cover might need to be on this drive but then maybe its needed more on the drive next to wireless antenna.

on one hand I hope the drive is not faulty as the other two are fine and if the 1.2TB is copied over tonight it would appear that it isn't

so if I re install it should I insist that ifixit send a new ribbon cable first?

thanks
tallpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:00 PM   #283
keema
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
ifix it dual HDD kit..

I just want to know if the sata cable that is supplied when purchasing the dual HDD kit from Ifix-it will be okay whether the stock hardisk in my late 2012 i7 2.3ghz mac mini is in the "lower" (connection ID)?

Because I've read on some threads here that the cable length is different from the "upper" or "lower" sata connections on the mini.
keema is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:04 PM   #284
thedeske
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thought I'd add to the thread. Updated a stock entry level 2012 Mini with a Samsung Evo 250 and 16G Ram (Crucial)

My Mini had the stock drive in the Upper position, So I chose to place the SSD in that position (recommended by many) and move the stock 500gb to the Lower position.

Before, it was sluggish to say the least. Now, it performs extremely well. Restarts in aprox 15 seconds. Cold Boot about 17. Not bad for such a low powered machine. Lightroom Boots in 2 seconds. Speed test is in the high 400s, but not to worry, It's more about getting a 550.00 machine to play nice with 10.9.1

I don't use Fusion for this machine & prefer to put large media/downloads/etc on the slow 500 Spinpoint that came with the Mini.

I used an budget cable kit from Amazon that was 20 bucks with a few tools.

Total cost of the SSD and Sata Cable Kit was 180 (should have around 165 but Amazon is suddenly hitting me with Tax) The Ram was in stock here.

No doubt the i7 would get slightly better results, but the entry i5 is darn good with a few adjustments.

Best To All

Last edited by thedeske; Feb 21, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
thedeske is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:06 AM   #285
Elho
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
Thought I'd add to the thread. Updated a stock entry level 2012 Mini with a Samsung Evo 250 and 16G Ram (Crucial)

My Mini had the stock drive in the Upper position, So I chose to place the SSD in that position (recommended by many) and move the stock 500gb to the Lower position.

Before, it was sluggish to say the least. Now, it performs extremely well. Restarts in aprox 15 seconds. Cold Boot about 17. Not bad for such a low powered machine. Lightroom Boots in 2 seconds. Speed test is in the high 400s, but not to worry, It's more about getting a 550.00 machine to play nice with 10.9.1

I don't use Fusion for this machine & prefer to put large media/downloads/etc on the slow 500 Spinpoint that came with the Mini.

I used an budget cable kit from Amazon that was 20 bucks with a few tools.

Total cost of the SSD and Sata Cable Kit was 180 (should have around 165 but Amazon is suddenly hitting me with Tax) The Ram was in stock here.

No doubt the i7 would get slightly better results, but the entry i5 is darn good with a few adjustments.

Best To All
Can you provide the link to that cable on Amazon and the link to the instruction video that you used.

Why didnt you use the fusion drive option?
Elho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:59 AM   #286
thedeske
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elho View Post
Can you provide the link to that cable on Amazon and the link to the instruction video that you used.

Why didnt you use the fusion drive option?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I prefer to keep the system/apps and a few files on SSD and not have it go past 65-70% full. The stock drive will be easy to replace if I want something larger. Also gave 10 bucks to the Dev of Trim Enabler this time. I used his software in the past & thought he deserved the money for the new version.

This PDF seemed to be the best for my procedure.

https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cent...NMACMINI11.pdf
thedeske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:07 AM   #287
scottsjack
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I prefer to keep the system/apps and a few files on SSD and not have it go past 65-70% full. The stock drive will be easy to replace if I want something larger.
Same here. I'm running a 960GB M500 SSD and the OEM 1TB HDD. I use the HDD for recording TV, lots of recording, lots of erasing. The OEM drive is also available if I want to move one of my W8 installs over to it. I prefer separate drives for each OS.
scottsjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:29 PM   #288
Elho
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I prefer to keep the system/apps and a few files on SSD and not have it go past 65-70% full. The stock drive will be easy to replace if I want something larger. Also gave 10 bucks to the Dev of Trim Enabler this time. I used his software in the past & thought he deserved the money for the new version.

This PDF seemed to be the best for my procedure.

https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cent...NMACMINI11.pdf
Thanks!
Elho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:13 PM   #289
thedeske
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elho View Post
Thanks!
No Prob - The testy stuff for some of us is IR cable and the power supply cable (for me at least) I have a bunch of those plastic pry tools, so I sanded both sides down on one to get it Super Skinny, close the 1/8" wide. Really helps if you don't have small hands.
thedeske is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 04:36 PM   #290
808?
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
I'm not sure to be honest as I've never done a Mini with a DVD drive but I would imagine it's the same as the DVD in my Macbook Pro 13.

I put in the optibay and now have 2TB in it with Samsung 256GB 6gb/sec SSD.

if you got the kit below $50 for optibay and $29 for the enclosure for old DVD drive(I found this great for my MBP when you do occasionally need a dvd player and for the sake of $29 better not to let it go to waste)

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...=STORHDOPTIBAY

you could put a Samsung 2TB in the optibay and your Mini should be superb
I got a Data Doubler kit from OWC and it worked like a charm. Added a 1.5Tb drive to the kit and all is well so far.

Now to add a 2nd drive to my new 2012 refurb that arrived on Friday.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:08 PM   #291
thedeske
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808? View Post
I got a Data Doubler kit from OWC and it worked like a charm. Added a 1.5Tb drive to the kit and all is well so far.

Now to add a 2nd drive to my new 2012 refurb that arrived on Friday.
Used OWC kits a few times. They are generally good, but I wish they'd sell the essential parts without the tools, i.e. just the sata cable. After a couple of iMacs and a couple of Minis, I'm over-run with cheap plastics from Taiwan
thedeske is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Mac Mini and hard drive enclosure to make bootable drive for Mac Pro sssssshhhhhh OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 12 May 27, 2014 11:55 AM
Mac Mini hard Drive Configuration mikegml Mac mini 25 Oct 19, 2013 10:09 AM
Mac mini hard drive help Dannyjames80 Mac mini 3 Jun 14, 2013 04:31 PM
Adding internal hard drive space / SSD to the new Mac Pro musio Mac Pro 1 Jun 10, 2013 04:31 PM
Mini Mac Hard Drive Damaged KC2LLW Mac mini 3 Aug 29, 2012 03:25 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC