Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Alright, I'm about to come to a deal with a guy who's selling 2 Apple Cinema Display 30 inch in still a like new condition. He said that the AppleCare is up to 2014 on the screens.

Actually I send him a message asking him how does it come that AppleCare is up to 2014 since they were out of stock in 2010. Will wait for his answer, but any thoughts of you guys would be appreciate.

And here's my big question. I'd like to know how AppleCare will works if the screens are sold to another owner? Will it still works? Or the AppleCare is canceled at the moment it's sold to a new owner? I'm wondering if it'll still works and if I still need the recipe etc.

Also, since he is from USA and I'm from Canada, is the AppleCare will still apply or it doesn't since it's another country?

Thanks for clearing all my wonders here. I hope it'll work though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Alright, I'm about to come to a deal with a guy who's selling 2 Apple Cinema Display 30 inch in still a like new condition. He said that the AppleCare is up to 2014 on the screens.
He's wrong. AppleCare is no longer available for Apple 30" displays, unless they're bought as refurbs from Apple.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
He's wrong. AppleCare is no longer available for Apple 30" displays, unless they're bought as refurbs from Apple.

Alright, I'll looking through that.

Also, do you know if (let's say AppleCare is still applicable), it's still applicable when the item change of Country?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Alright, I'll looking through that.

Also, do you know if (let's say AppleCare is still applicable), it's still applicable when the item change of Country?
AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. AppleCare coverage is not dependent on the location of the device, although service options may vary by country.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Actually, I think you will find the only devices where Applecare can change country are the laptops. All other devices Applecare is fixed to the country of purchase. This includes iPhones and iPads.

part 6.2 of the Applecare documentation:

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges."

Last edited:

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Actually, I think you will find the only devices where Applecare can change country are the laptops. All other devices Applecare is fixed to the country of purchase. This includes iPhones and iPads.

part 6.2 of the Applecare documentation:

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges."

It's amazing that you can pull up this documentation and have no idea what you are reading or posting. Your interpretation of the "documentation" is wrong in every way,

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
It's amazing that you can pull up this documentation and have no idea what you are reading or posting. Your interpretation of the "documentation" is wrong in every way,

Ok, so clarify.

I have since done some more digging and it does seem that Applecare warranty can be available internationally, however you do need to check the country list in section 11 of the Apple care terms. It does seem Apple have modified there terms and different products have different levels of international warranty.

The iPad Applecare bought in the UK has warrantly cover for the following countries:

Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France (including Corsica and excluding overseas departments and territories)
Germany
India
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla)
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

If you look at the Applecare terms for Mac and Display, for Applecare bought in the UK, the following countries are listed:

United States
Afghanistan
Australia
Austria
Bangladesh
Belgium
Bhutan
Brazil
Brunei
Cambodia
Canada
Denmark (excluding Greenland and Faroe Islands)
East Timor
Finland (excluding Åland)
France (excluding overseas departments and territories but including Guadeloupe, Reunion Island, Martinique, Tahiti and Guyana)
Germany
Greece
Guam
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Laos
Luxembourg
Macau
Malaysia
Maldives
Mexico
Monaco
Myanmar
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway (excluding Svalbard)
Pakistan
People’s Republic of China
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Russian Federation (excluding Kuril and Sakhalin Islands)
Singapore
South Korea
Spain (excluding Ceuta and Melilla)
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
United Kingdom
Vietnam

So Apple cares international credentials are far from uniform and dependant upon device, and possible also location of where the Applecare was purchased.

Last edited:

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Ok, so clarify.

I have since done some more digging and it does seem that Applecare warranty can be available internationally, however you do need to check the country list in section 11 of the Apple care terms. It does seem Apple have modified there terms and different products have different levels of international warranty.

The iPad Applecare bought in the UK has warrantly cover for the following countries:

Austria
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
France (including Corsica and excluding overseas departments and territories)
Germany
India
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla)
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

If you look at the Applecare terms for Mac and Display, for Applecare bought in the UK, the following countries are listed:

United States
Afghanistan
Australia
Austria
Bangladesh
Belgium
Bhutan
Brazil
Brunei
Cambodia
Canada
Denmark (excluding Greenland and Faroe Islands)
East Timor
Finland (excluding Åland)
France (excluding overseas departments and territories but including Guadeloupe, Reunion Island, Martinique, Tahiti and Guyana)
Germany
Greece
Guam
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Laos
Luxembourg
Macau
Malaysia
Maldives
Mexico
Monaco
Myanmar
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway (excluding Svalbard)
Pakistan
People’s Republic of China
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Russian Federation (excluding Kuril and Sakhalin Islands)
Singapore
South Korea
Spain (excluding Ceuta and Melilla)
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
United Kingdom
Vietnam

So Apple cares international credentials are far from uniform and dependant upon device, and possible also location of where the Applecare was purchased.

Lol, ok. So you know how to copy and paste. Please stop posting meaningless quotes from "section 1.43" and "article xx.x" you sound like a tool. Especially when you misinterpret the very things you are quoting.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Lol, ok. So you know how to copy and paste. Please stop posting meaningless quotes from "section 1.43" and "article xx.x" you sound like a tool. Especially when you misinterpret the very things you are quoting.

Actually, he's right.

International coverage varies by product. For iPhone, it's limited to the country of purchase, and other countries where the same model is used. I.e. if I'm in the US, and want to service my UK bought iPhone, it will need to be shipped back to the UK for service. With iPad, it's a bit more flexible, but still pretty limited (i.e. you can replace an AT&T iPad 2/3 in the UK, but not a 4, and you can't replace Verizon ones in the UK).

This international shipping is also not covered by the AppleCare plan:

Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Covered Equipment cannot be serviced in the country it is in.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK

These are quotes directly relating to Applecare and international service which is directly relevant to the OP's original question. I entered this thread merely to warn the OP to do due diligence re Applecare for international purchases, it's not as clear cut as other posters were making it seem. How have you contributed to the OP's question?

You have twice accused me of misinterpreting the Applecare T&C's, I have asked you to clarify, you haven't. Brian Y has expanded on my post, supporting my point. Please add to the OP's question or points raised in the thread, or stay out of the thread. Calling names and not clarifying statements is not necessary and unhelpful.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
These are quotes directly relating to Applecare and international service which is directly relevant to the OP's original question. I entered this thread merely to warn the OP to do due diligence re Applecare for international purchases, it's not as clear cut as other posters were making it seem. How have you contributed to the OP's question?

You have twice accused me of misinterpreting the Applecare T&C's, I have asked you to clarify, you haven't. Brian Y has expanded on my post, supporting my point. Please add to the OP's question or points raised in the thread, or stay out of the thread. Calling names and not clarifying statements is not necessary and unhelpful.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciate ;)

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Just stop quoting and giving wrong information. It's possible that it was later purchased after DC date and AppleCare was added along with it. It wouldn't be unusual for Apple to start a warranty from he purchase date.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Just stop quoting and giving wrong information. It's possible that it was later purchased after DC date and AppleCare was added along with it. It wouldn't be unusual for Apple to start a warranty from he purchase date.

could you explain how the information was wrong please.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

Why don't you just stop replying since you clearly can't seem to give a response to the questions asked, nor have you clarified where anyone has given any wrong information.

could you explain how the information was wrong please.

He cannot because he just wants to call others down rather than contribute.

My suggestion would be to verify the serial numbers of Apple own web site. It will show rather the Apple care is active or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.