Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #26
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Ariel Castro had bail set at $8 million. I think that bail should have been denied.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/09...t-arraignment/
Why? Bail is simply to ensure that someone, whose guilt has yet to be determined, makes it to court. Bail is not a punishment.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
TedM
macrumors 6502

Personally I don't think they are charging the responsible party with enough. Ariel Castro should be charged with torture. Ten years? Rape? Starvation? Physical Abuse?

Charge that bro with torture and execute him.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
Yep, rapists and child molesters are known to have a bad time behind bars...
If I understand correctly, and I am not in corrections...so take this for what it's worth, child molester, and abusers, usually spend thier time in segregation. That's 23 hours a day, one hour in isolated exercise yard in a cage, and for all practical purposes have no contact with anyone but the CO's.

As you can imagine, they tend to go batty with that level of social isolation.

Life expectancy in general population is measured in minutes.

I'm not so sure about rapists...that's not looked upon as badly as child molestation, as many of the prisoners have children, but many have no problem with raping women.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:38 PM   #29
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Why? Bail is simply to ensure that someone, whose guilt has yet to be determined, makes it to court. Bail is not a punishment.
Bail is not a guarantee. I think this crime was egregious enough coupled with the risk of flight that bail should have been denied.
ucfgrad93 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #30
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Bail is not a guarantee. I think this crime was egregious enough coupled with the risk of flight that bail should have been denied.
I agree with this, but I also think that's probably why bail is 8 million. You know he doesn't have the money for that. Its intentional.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:52 AM   #31
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Personally I don't think they are charging the responsible party with enough. Ariel Castro should be charged with torture. Ten years? Rape? Starvation? Physical Abuse?

The police have already stated that more charges will be forthcoming as they continue their investigation and uncover more of the facts.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:52 AM   #32
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post

Along with half the guards that worked in gunatanamo bay yeah?

Not being an apologist for castra, guy should spend his entire life in prison, but executing someone is against every moral fibre I have.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Huntn
macrumors 604

Interesting article on CNN, a interview with Castro's daughter. She visited him while he had the 3 captives and there was this little ritual he'd go through to prepare for visitors, like make a sign through the window to wait, then after some time, she was let in the back door. Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

The feeling of shame to be an immediate relative associated with a family member accused of heinous crimes, first the Boston bombers, now this.

Last edited by Huntn; May 10, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:18 AM   #34
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Interesting article on CNN, a interview with Castro's daughter. She visited him while he had the 3 captives and there was this little ritual he'd go through to prepare for visitors, like make a sign through the window to wait, then after some time, she we let in the back door. Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

The feeling of shame to be an immediate relative associated with a family member accused of heinous crimes, first the Boston bombers, now this.
You might have to wonder though, why didn't she press the issue of the weirdness going on? I just wonder.

For me, I would quickly change my name and never speak to the media.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:48 AM   #35
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You might have to wonder though, why didn't she press the issue of the weirdness going on? I just wonder.

For me, I would quickly change my name and never speak to the media.
Some general thoughts-
They interviewed neighbors on the street who all basically said similar things "in hind sight"... But this is an America that believes in individual freedoms, right? Maybe not as much today as 30 years ago, but if someone wants to board their house up tight, should the police be allowed to search the house? Is this an eccentric/fearful person or a serial kidnapper, or worse?

I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of civil rights, but if someone reports you as being strange, I don't think it would be out of line for a policeman to come to your door and ask you if things were ok. But if the target is a sociopath, used to lying, they would probably be able to field all the questions successfully. What would be the next step for authorities? The only solution for a case like this would be to allow police to invade citizens homes based on suspicions. I don't think this is a place we as a country want to go.

Last edited by Huntn; May 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Huntn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:56 PM   #36
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
I like the guy in this video.....his quote with about 25 seconds left is both funny and sad.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...Girl-Black-Man
Haha I saw this on youtube, this guy has gone viral!
Old May 11, 2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
...Once inside, he kept music on loud and discouraged her from visiting her childhood bedroom.

Not to mention the creepy feeling one must get from knowing what your old bedroom was now being used for...
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:20 PM   #38
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Well it looks like he was found dead in his cell....

http://gma.yahoo.com/cleveland-kidna...ries.html?vp=1

And now it looks like his lawyers are getting into the fray.

http://www.today.com/news/castro-law...son-8C11073454
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #39
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Well it looks like he was found dead in his cell....

http://gma.yahoo.com/cleveland-kidna...ries.html?vp=1

And now it looks like his lawyers are getting into the fray.

http://www.today.com/news/castro-law...son-8C11073454
I think the prosecutor said it best:

Quote:
"These degenerate molesters are cowards," Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said in a statement. "They con and capture vulnerable children. This man couldn't take, for even a month, a small portion of what he had dished out for more than a decade."
Good riddance to this scumbag.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:27 PM   #40
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I think the prosecutor said it best:

Good riddance to this scumbag.
The dude got off easy, he took the easy way out buy killing himself. They should have watched him closer and really made him suffer in prison.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events