Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 29, 2014, 02:24 PM   #351
skaertus
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomired View Post
I have tried Scrivener, which is quite complicated. Then moved to Ulysses III. I just love the way it handles texts. Beautiful and simple app, very flat learning curve. Highly recommended. I pair it with Daedalus, the same company's iOS app, for note taking and jotting on-the-go, and it automatically sends notes to Ulysses III.

If you are looking for an outliner , then I would recommend Tree app (software maker: Top of the Tree of Japan). Elegant and simple, and again very intuitive.

Mindnode pro is another beautiful app for mind mapping.

Now I outline in Tree and save the file as .txt and then open the file in Ulysses, and start writing. Ulysses can export files in various formats, so does Tree.

Word or Pages can be used for formatting and finishing.

I guess the topic is about hardware and not software. Interesting, though.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 02:10 PM   #352
kirsch92
macrumors member

Wink

Interesting thread. Just picked up a new 2014 MBA 13, 4G-128SSD at BB for 799 over the holiday, specifically for mobile writing with Scrivener. My first impressions are wonderful. 100% charge says 14.5 hours of battery time.

Glad I bought the Air with SSD vs. any Mac without. Even though I don't need the speed, I have a 2008 iMac at home with an SSD and have grown accustomed to the "no bounce" app loading, and the quick starts.
I mention this because this weekend I was helping my sister with her 2013 MacBook outfitted with a standard drive, and it is noticeably slower in response than my 2008 iMac or the Air.

The one thing I had to come to terms with on the Air is the screen. The TFT panel is definitely inferior to the IPS panels (retina or otherwise) on the more expensive Mac's, including my old '08. Very dull looking in comparison. The size of the screen is fine for most tasks, but with Scrivener, I've had to bump the text size to 175-200% when writing or editing, even in "distraction-free mode". Maybe it's just because I'm getting old.

Still, I think the Air was the write decision.
kirsch92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2014, 04:05 PM   #353
flur
macrumors regular

I'm a novelist. I use a 2012 "11 MBA running OSX mountain lion (I refuse to upgrade because I expect fussing with the new OS will distract me from writing). I write in Scrivener (love the note cards and having both those and the scene notes on the side as I write), but brainstorm in Simplenote (for scene and character sketches and notes while I'm on the go) and Mindnode (when I need mindmapping for ideas). When I'm prepping something for submission I use Word 2010 in a Windows VM (I use VMWare).

I also use an ipad (was a 4, just got a new Air 2), and use Simplenote and Mindnode with that too. I also use Word on the ipad to read and revise - part of my Scrivener process is to compile every single time I close the app, so I always have a .docx version of my manuscript. I save that in dropbox so I have NO EXCUSES not to work on it. I find that when I want to read through something and I need a "new look" for it, Word on the ipad works nicely for me.

I use Calibri as my Scrivener font (since I came from Word and that's what I was using there), but I compile as Times New Roman since that's standard for submissions, so when I'm working in Word I'm using TNR. Yes, I see the irony there.

I'm looking forward to Scrivener for ipad - I'm hoping it will allow me to leave my MBA at home for shorter trips.
flur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2014, 05:08 PM   #354
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE=kirsch92;20435640]Interesting thread. Just picked up a new 2014 MBA 13, 4G-128SSD at BB for 799 over the holiday, specifically for mobile writing with Scrivener. My first impressions are wonderful. 100% charge says 14.5 hours of battery time.

The one thing I had to come to terms with on the Air is the screen. The TFT panel is definitely inferior to the IPS panels (retina or otherwise) on the more expensive Mac's, including my old '08. Very dull looking in comparison. The size of the screen is fine for most tasks, but with Scrivener, I've had to bump the text size to 175-200% when writing or editing, even in "distraction-free mode". Maybe it's just because I'm getting old.

The thread started in the Air forum because at the time I was considering buying one, but was concerned about the screen ... The 13" MBPr wasn't out then.
I did buy one. Such a great writing laptop in every other way, but I just couldn't do long sessions on that screen. i still use my old iMac, although not retina it is still a good screen and the pixels are less noticeable sitting further away.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 01:40 PM   #355
CYB3RBYTE
macrumors regular

Question

While I don't make my living in writing, I have multiple classes that require me to take copious notes (high school). For most of my notes I use my MBA, since it's obviously very light and has an excellent battery life. I have Office 2011, I don't want to install it because it takes up room and I'm a little unsure of how it would handle Yosemite. So, I use the new Pages, and it actually has a better note taking template then Word does.

I also am planning to do a photo website/blog, and for that I may use my Late-06' iMac 20" because it has much more storage than my MBA does (500GB vs 128GB). Plus, if I didn't want to pay someone else to host that website, I could just have it be hosted on the iMac.

That's just my writing uses...

Why Not Think Different?
CYB3RBYTE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2014, 03:23 PM   #356
flowrider
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
I have Office 2011, I don't want to install it because it takes up room and I'm a little unsure of how it would handle Yosemite.
Yosemite and MS Office 2011 coexist just fine.

Lou
flowrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:13 AM   #357
CYB3RBYTE
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
Yosemite and MS Office 2011 coexist just fine.

Lou
Okay great to know!

I just prefer Pages because of how great it's note taking templates are. Also, it just goes better with my "workflow" if you know what I mean.

Why Not Think Different?
CYB3RBYTE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air