Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserghost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Gonna spring for a new 27" when pre-order is available.

Obviously, we don't know what all the configurable upgrades will be, but I'm hoping there is an option to just go with a larger SSD – perhaps a single 768 GB drive – no fusion.

With this in mind, I also wonder if we'll be able to crack open the case and upgrade that SSD later on down the road when price/GB drops.

Perhaps it's too soon to tell as nobody likely has had the opportunity to find out if opening the case will even be possible for the user.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Apple's iMac Technical Specifications answers your question and the drive configuration. To quote: "1TB (7200-rpm) hard drive - Configurable to 3TB hard drive, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 768GB of flash storage."

As for opening the iMac, I suspect it will be doable, the question is what type of tools you'll need. Otherwise there wiuld be major service issues.

Note: The above link points to the current model specifications, so after the next model is released, it won't be the correct page.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
With this in mind, I also wonder if we'll be able to crack open the case and upgrade that SSD later on down the road when price/GB drops.

I expect to know by Monday how hard it is to open. iFixit is always among the first in line.

But we already know that the SSD is a Flash daughterboard (probably the same model as used in the MBA/rMBP), not a standard aftermarket SSD. You can buy them but they're not common and generally don't go on sale.

laserghost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I expect to know by Monday how hard it is to open. iFixit is always among the first in line.

But we already know that the SSD is a Flash daughterboard (probably the same model as used in the MBA/rMBP), not a standard aftermarket SSD. You can buy them but they're not common and generally don't go on sale.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to research this more, but it sounds like going with the 768 GB SSD will have limited upgradability in the future.

Still, I think it's a good option, coupled with some fast thunderbolt external HDs or a RAID storage system for big files.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There has to be some way to open theses. They will need to be repaired from time to time.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the info. I'll have to research this more, but it sounds like going with the 768 GB SSD will have limited upgradability in the future.

To my knowledge, the only third-party SSD option in the form factor the iMac will use is Other World Computing's 480 GB Aura Pro at $580.

laserghost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
what if you go the traditional HD route – could you then swap in a standard SSD?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
what if you go the traditional HD route – could you then swap in a standard SSD?

It will use a 3.5" form factor, but I expect Apple will do with the 2012 iMac what they did with the 2011 and put special firmware on the HDD to control the fans. So if you install an SSD, you'll need to use a fan control application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.