Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I'm finding quite difficult expressing my creativity (brainstorming) in designing graphics. Really need some advice..

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
whats the specific problem. give us the brief and ill talk you through how i would approach it.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
whats the specific problem. give us the brief and ill talk you through how i would approach it.

When it comes down to research, brainstorm, collection of ideas and all that before actual design I'm good. I get some creative ideas. Buy the issue starts when I'm about to lay them down converting into graphics/art/piece of work. I don't really know how to begin and most importantly carry on and complete. Even though if I manage to move pen by sketching, the next step which is usually photoshop, illustration or other limit me in sense of stoping to progress to another level after sketching and so on. Just to add that I'm beginner in cs6 and consistently improving my skills with help of Lynda.com and YouTube.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't think anyone does truly know how to begin a project when they're first starting out. I remember back in my ultra noobie days, I'd follow along with a dozen and a half tutorials, but when it came time to do my own stuff...I was stuck. I didn't a workflow yet. Didn't know how to make that first step. You can watch a thousand people do it a thousand times, but until you do it yourself, you really don't have any idea of what to do.

So...you just do something. Don't think about how best to begin, just pick something that seems kinda interesting to do, and start doodling around. If you mess up, or the results aren't as good as you'd like, then scrap it and start again. After awhile, you'll start picking up on the ebb and flow of things, and you'll start improving. Keep at it, and a couple of months later you'll find yourself amazed that you're handling the stuff you used to spend hours struggling with with barely any thought at all.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
OP can you post us a demo of what you are trying to do? Maybe we can help you create a basic workflow which will help you out.

Here's what I do for projects of mine. Say for example I want to create a 3D scene of a shipwreck, I'd do the following:

1. Spend a full day (or longer) just scouring the internet for reference images. During this time I look for things I like and think of ways to use them in my project (for example, say I really like a shipwreck that has a ship with destroyed smokestacks, I'd find a way to incorporate that).

2. Lay out a rough composite. No detail is added at this time, I am simply trying for shapes, strong silhouettes and composition. In my opinion its much better to do this before touching any modeling so I can see if it looks interesting before I put too much work into it.

3. Once I have a scene I like I start modeling the pieces I want like the ship, the beach, rocks, etc.

4. I then arrange these elements into the scene to match my reference idea as closely as I can (unless I decide I want to change it up).

5. I render the scene and do final touches in Photoshop.

When you break down every part of your project into manageable chunks it'll make it a lot easier for you to accomplish something.

Also don't get stuck on learning every facet of new software. Plan out what you need to do for a particular job and research what you need to get it done. The rest will come with experience.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
When it comes down to research, brainstorm, collection of ideas and all that before actual design I'm good. I get some creative ideas. Buy the issue starts when I'm about to lay them down converting into graphics/art/piece of work. I don't really know how to begin and most importantly carry on and complete. Even though if I manage to move pen by sketching, the next step which is usually photoshop, illustration or other limit me in sense of stoping to progress to another level after sketching and so on. Just to add that I'm beginner in cs6 and consistently improving my skills with help of Lynda.com and YouTube.

Sounds like you're doing it right to me.

You will be limited by your tools for a while, that's just part of the process. Having a problem executing your idea is something that you get better with over time, things always look better in your head :)

As mentioned, more specifics will probably help us help you.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

You're doing OK with prep and organization. What you need is a challenge.

If it were me, I'd join some of the Photoshop competition sites (Worth1000, Graphic Competitions, Photoshop Contest, Pxleyes, and many others) and show your photochops.

Lots of fun even if you don't win, and it forces you to set your imagination to 11.

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi Hulk2012. Sometimes in the creative process we get what we call a "designer's block" wherein there is difficulty in putting ideas into execution. This happens also to the veteran designers sometimes. You mentioned that you're a beginner and as soon as you gain more experiences thru the years you will see improvements in expressing creative ideas. I'm sure you'll get "over the hump".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.