Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Neeeol
macrumors newbie

Air doesn't recognize internal hard drive

Hi. My 1st gen Air internal HD failed with bad sectors in the OS area. I removed it, set it up as a USB drive and reformatted it (presumably locking out the bad sectors) and reinstalled OS X Mountain Lion. I then reconnected the drive cable and reinstalled the drive.

Unfortunately, the drive doesn't show up. When I start the computer while holding down the Option key, I get the screen that allows you to connect to a network, but the hard drive doesn't appear.

I also created a USB boot disk using a 16gb thumb drive. When I start the computer while holding down the Option key, this drive does show up, but when I select it the Air doesn't boot. I was able to boot my iMac with both of these USB drives, so I know they are good.

I'm stuck. I can find no reason for this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Neeeol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air