T-Shirt printer recommendations, please - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
nfable
macrumors regular

T-Shirt printer recommendations, please

I've gone to the Goog, but hoping an esteemed member of MRF has has great experiences with a company first hand that will give me some options for sourcing inexpensive custom t-shirt solutions for a potential client. The client sez they have been quoted around $12/shirt and I'm awaiting to find out that source.

Not interested in iron-on; must be quality that can stand washings & wear.

Any recommendations welcomed!

thx,
nf
nfable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
bigus7674
macrumors member

Depends...

It depends on what you're looking for...

Silkscreening will always be the cheapest option, usually ranging between $5 and $8 per shirt, depending on the number of colors being printed, type of shirt, and number of sides being printed.

Direct-to-Garment (aka DTG or Digital) will be more expensive, but unlike silkscreen, there is no heavy "patch" feel. It is essentially an over-sized inkjet printer that pulls the shirt into the bay and prints directly on the shirt with a water-soluble dye that dyes the cotton fibers directly. It will not crack or peel like a silkscreened shirt will over time.

Pricing for both of these options will be affected by quantity of shirts as well - most silkscreen printers will have a minimum order requirement, whereas DTG can do one-offs.

I used to work for a t-shirt printing company named Big Frog (www.bigfrog.com). They have stores located across the country, so you may want to see if there is one located near you, otherwise they can, and will, fulfill your order and ship it to you. You will want to ask them if they have the printer with the white ink, as that is needed to print on darker colored shirts (i.e. navy blue, brown, black, etc.) as the white ink will be layed down first and the color printed on top of it. The white acts as a "foundation" for the color so it doesn't get absorbed into the cotton and not show up.

Hopefully this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
bigus7674 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
wmitch
macrumors regular

Custom Ink

Take a look at Custom Ink (http://www.customink.com/)
Our church just ordered about 35 Shirts with 2 color front printing (1 area) on a really nice 50/50 blend T and they came to about $9/ea. the more you order the cheaper they get.

We have ordered from other places in the past but this is the best experience we have had yet. The service was fantastic and we received them 1 week after ordering with the free shipping.

(and No, i don't work for them)
wmitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

I'll second custom ink. Went with them for relay for life last year. They were wonderful to work with, both online and over the phone.
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5
nfable
macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I will check them out - I also greatly appreciate any educational tid-bits like those given as my comfort zone for printing is brochures and the like to date.

Any more sugs welcome!

thx,
nf
nfable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
peterlord
macrumors newbie

I've used TeeTick before and been happy. They do small custom orders, and will happily walk you through the process there in house.
peterlord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
primalman
macrumors 6502a

I always go local. Look in your town and see what you can get. I recently got about 2 dozen shirts done, a mix of performance Ts and regular cotton, and the price was 20% less than any of the online places, and way easier to work with. Just my 2.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:04 PM   #8
24hrpizza
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptees View Post
I think Cheaptees is one of the best Tees printing networks that provides all quality services for male and females. Cheaptees all of our tees are comfortable and stylish, giving you everything you need in different occasions .

----------

Does anyone know anything about buying a digital tshirt printer also? Interested in what is out there.
24hrpizza is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics