Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senor Manzana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
After having been exposed to the world of Apple and a work issued Macbook Pro the past two years, I've become an Apple Loyalist. I currently have a Dell PC at home that is currently sitting on death row awaiting a Remington 870 loaded with 5 00 buck shells (really, I'll post the video).

I'm impatiently waiting for the new 27" IMAC (budget $2500-2700) but thought I'd ask a few ?s before it goes on sale.

? Will upgrading the RAM yourself void the Applecare warranty?

? Can I connect the IMAC to my computer speakers (Bose) through the headphone jack or will i need to buy an adapter?

? I'm a video editing novice and looking at really getting into it over the next year. Will the i5 with the Fusion Drive work fine or should I just go all out and get the i7 with the Fusion Drive.

Thx

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
After having been exposed to the world of Apple and a work issued Macbook Pro the past two years, I've become an Apple Loyalist. I currently have a Dell PC at home that is currently sitting on death row awaiting a Remington 870 loaded with 5 00 buck shells (really, I'll post the video).

I'm impatiently waiting for the new 27" IMAC (budget $2500-2700) but thought I'd ask a few ?s before it goes on sale.

? Will upgrading the RAM yourself void the Applecare warranty?

? Can I connect the IMAC to my computer speakers (Bose) through the headphone jack or will i need to buy an adapter?

? I'm a video editing novice and looking at really getting into it over the next year. Will the i5 with the Fusion Drive work fine or should I just go all out and get the i7 with the Fusion Drive.

Thx

No

Maybe

Video editing is CPU intensive, I'd recommend the i7 but the i5 will do fine too.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
I shoot and Edit videos professionally and while you can get by with lesser gear as I have for years, let me post my experiences.

Video Editing is a combination of Many things. Having just a Beast cpu with a poor graphics card and hard drive will render it useless.

First and foremost you NEED a fast hard drive as you will be reading and writing constantly. This is more important than anything.

Second you need a good GPU in your system as applying Filters and Effects uses this part of your system.

Cpu is needed towards the end, processing and compressing takes time. What a faster cpu along side a faster hard drive allow you to work faster.

Ram is needed finally as it is memory currently that is pushing your system. Also it is the cheapest so concern is minimal.

My order for video editing importance would be
GPU, HARD DRIVE, then CPU and RAM.

I would upgrade to a Fusion drive before anything else, then Gpu, Cpu, Ram.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012

With the technical questions answered, thought I'd comment on the 870. While I'd like to see that photo (really I would), and I'd love to take a shot or twenty at it myself with an AR, you might consider donating that death row inmate. A basic search provides many donation options (http://goo.gl/wjmyD).

Do what you will, but if you unload your 870, please post back here with pics!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.