Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jigga Beef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I currently use a 2nd gen drobo to hold my iTunes, i have 2X 2TB and 2X 1.5 TB for a total of 4.5TB of storage, i currently have about 3.5TB of that filled up with media storage.

My Drobo is getting up there in age and today it looks like a drive failed so its in the process of protecting the data which it says will take 72 hours...

I have all of the data backed up across several externals and but i have heard some horror stories about drobo going wrong.

Since i have a Mac Pro i have the 3rd and 4th hard drive bay free and was thinking maybe for speed and some more peace of mind i could do a raid 0 with 2X 2TB discs giving me 4TB of storage space. I would than just use the drobo to backup of the iTunes data.

I have never used a RAID 0 before and just worry about failing drives. I haven't had a drive fail in about 4 years with the exception of today but it still worries me to risk 2 drives for 1 set of data. The increased speed would be nice though. I wish 4TB discs were a little more affordable and i would just put 2X 4TBs in there with a RAID 1

Any ideas?

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah....Ive got the 2nd gen drobo also....happy camper up until a month or so ago when a folder over 2Tb in size 'blinked' out of existence. Like you, I had copies of nearly everything elsewhere so minimal inconvenience, though I will never trust it again as a primary device.

I'm on an iMac so the internal raid option wasn't possible for me, I bought a 6Tb WD thunderbolt drive and have the Drobo back that up. (My Drobo has 1x3Tb + 3*2Tb drives in it...I was about to expand it further but no longer)

Whilst the 4Tbs are still up there in price, the 3Tbs are relatively inexpensive. I'd look into those for your Mac Pro, with the drobo as backup up service.

Jigga Beef

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Seems like that might be what is going to happen to me. It started out saying 70 hours to protect the data, 48 hours later it says 59 hours remaning. I just want it to finish up so if the data is protected i can move all of it to an internal hard drive.

What process do you use to backup to drobo, time machine, CCC? I wish i had a thunderbolot port, but running off a 3TB external will pose the same speed issues i am having with drobo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.