Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:15 PM   #26
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunner View Post
Poor thing. He thinks Doomsday has passed...

----------



Should I do the water-resistance test before or after the drop test?

----------



Unfortunately, MacRumors doesn't have a NSFW tag.
Dude, just kidding. I would do the same tests when there are so many variations in the same product. Was just saying that the Apple Store employee has no clue about how much information an average MacRumor reader is empowered with when it comes to Apple products. He is in for a dizzy spin of tests and commands to run that he probably has never heard of.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:31 PM   #27
Forerunner
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Dude, just kidding. I would do the same tests when there are so many variations in the same product. Was just saying that the Apple Store employee has no clue about how much information an average MacRumor reader is empowered with when it comes to Apple products. He is in for a dizzy spin of tests and commands to run that he probably has never heard of.
I know, I know. I'm actually surprised at how much this thread has distanced from the original question. All I was looking for was a few more online display tests!
Forerunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Outkast27
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earf
Make sure you execute a high definition pornography video test that should be number one.
Outkast27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:56 PM   #29
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunner View Post
I know, I know. I'm actually surprised at how much this thread has distanced from the original question. All I was looking for was a few more online display tests!

I was plagued with a shimmering and almost invisible text when scrolling web pages in like yahoo or even macrumors in my MBA. It had an LG Panel. Got another one and its a Samsung and no terrible flickering. All LCD screens flicker when scrolling and its normal,but not to the extent of the text vanishing. Indicates very slow response time. So that's one test you might want to do.

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

The above is for image retention test. Honestly I don't know, if you can go by that. It could be the screen or persistence of vision of our eyes. Other readers here who are into electronics engineering or experienced in the TV/display industry can enlighten us.

I just opened my brand new rMBP and it has an LG screen as well. But no issues and came calibrated perfect from the factory. I say this because, being the top of the line notebook, Apple probably has more QC on the line for rMBP.

I was initially a little miffed at the LG Panel, but that's because I been reading too much stuff here at Macrumors. But then I calmed down and looked at it objectively without any prejudice and I saw that it was a great Panel. No light leaks,uneven lighting or any tint anywhere on the screen. It was flat as a piece of A4 paper.

After that I am enjoying the Retina display and discovering how things look on this notebook and its a visual feast

Just look for the usual suspects and carefully watch the gray screen when booting, good time to check for uneven light or bleeding.

Try a visually rich web page in various resolutions and if it scales properly without any glitches or flicker etc.

Yahoo doesn't scroll smoothly, but other sites do. It's not a issue with the MBP but of the site.

Check the basic stuff and if it checks out pack it back and enjoy the thing. You have 30 days time to return it during this season I think. Not sure, but check with them.

Remember, if you go looking for something wrong, more often than not, you will find it. I wish it worked that way for money
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.

Last edited by krravi; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:53 PM   #30
Forerunner
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Yeah, I had Marco's IR test in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Just look for the usual suspects and carefully watch the gray screen when booting, good time to check for uneven light or bleeding.
First world problems: "My SSD is so fast that I can't thoroughly inspect the screen of my $2700 laptop!"
Forerunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:15 PM   #31
Forerunner
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
The pixels on the rMBP are so tiny that a a dead pixel would be near unnoticeable, even with careful inspection!
Forerunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:20 PM   #32
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunner View Post
The pixels on the rMBP are so tiny that a a dead pixel would be near unnoticeable, even with careful inspection!
So did you get it yet?
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:50 PM   #33
Forerunner
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
So did you get it yet?
It arrives tomorrow, but I was playing around with some of the demo units in the Apple store.
Forerunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:11 PM   #34
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunner View Post
It arrives tomorrow, but I was playing around with some of the demo units in the Apple store.
And what did you find? Were they consistent?
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:26 PM   #35
Forerunner
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
And what did you find? Were they consistent?
To be honest, the lag were near unbearable. All the rMBP 15" demo units were plagued with scroll lag to the point where it started hurting your eyes. At most, scrolling in Safari ran at about 10fps.

Other than that, the IR in both units was present, but barely noticeable (no effect on day-to-day usage).

I was pretty happy with the displays I saw, but I also know that the store would have replaced any defective demo units with exceptional ones. I'm not as concerned about the display anymore, but I hope Apple can fix some scroll lag and OS sluggishness in software updates!

EDIT: The scroll lag was somewhat reduced (read: less noticeable) when I disabled inertia scrolling, for obvious reasons. But this is likely a software issue, and I can wait for an update.

Last edited by Forerunner; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Forerunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #36
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunner View Post
To be honest, the lag were near unbearable. All the rMBP 15" demo units were plagued with scroll lag to the point where it started hurting your eyes. At most, scrolling in Safari ran at about 10fps.

Other than that, the IR in both units was present, but barely noticeable (no effect on day-to-day usage).

I was pretty happy with the displays I saw, but I also know that the store would have replaced any defective demo units with exceptional ones. I'm not as concerned about the display anymore, but I hope Apple can fix some scroll lag and OS sluggishness in software updates!

EDIT: The scroll lag was somewhat reduced (read: less noticeable) when I disabled inertia scrolling, for obvious reasons. But this is likely a software issue, and I can wait for an update.
I heard the new webkit build got rid of scrolling issues and is running smoothly at 50 fps.

Not sure when Safari will officially get that update.

So did you do the LG vs Samsung test?

How many were Samsung's and vice versa?
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rmbp 13" - how well does 5100 perform in everyday tasks? Nostalgia MacBook Pro 5 Nov 28, 2013 03:43 AM
New (oct 2013)RMBP 15 high end - tests RG0141 MacBook Pro 1 Nov 7, 2013 01:47 PM
Bare Feats tests 13" rMBP vs 15" rMBP vs 13" MBA Idefix MacBook Pro 11 Oct 27, 2012 09:28 PM
What tests should be done on a new rMBP PS65 MacBook Pro 12 Aug 7, 2012 08:19 AM
Any speed tests between rMBP 2.6 and 2.7? majordude MacBook Pro 3 Jul 5, 2012 10:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC