Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

iPad Mini & iTunes Home Sharing 1080p Files

Good afternoon everyone. My wife bought an iPad mini and turned on home sharing. All of the movies in our iTunes library are 1080p files. However, a handful of them were incorrectly identified as 720p files (Identify the program made the mistake).

Those files that are designated 720p files show up in the shared section of the iPad mini after home sharing was turned on. The 1080p files do not show up under shared videos. The files, as stated above, are all actually 1080p files converted with Handbrake and the Apple TV 3 setting (from MKV Blu-ray rips). Those 720p marked files play fine through home sharing.

My questions are as follows:

1. Has Apple intentionally limited the iPad mini home sharing to 720p and lower resolution?
2. If not, is there a fix so the iPad mini can see the 1080p movies files?
3. Does anybody else notice that just changing the HD designation on a 1080p file to 720p allows their iPad mini to see it via a Home Sharing?

I realize that I can use Air Video to circumvent this problem, or manually use Identify to designate all my video as 720p to "trick" Apple, but I really hope there is just an easy fix I am missing. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

Anyone even notice/have a similar problem?

Last edited by fridgeymonster3; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
fridgeymonster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeymonster3 View Post
Anyone even notice/have a similar problem?
Ok then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors Rules
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
Ok then.
Nice reply. Very helpful.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

There appears to be a bug in Apple's video player. I have the same problem.

A poor workaround is to sync the videos you want to watch in iTunes. Then they'll show up and play just fine. For me, this is preferable to wrongly re-tagging them as 720p to fool the player into seeing them. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:27 PM   #6
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
There appears to be a bug in Apple's video player. I have the same problem.

A poor workaround is to sync the videos you want to watch in iTunes. Then they'll show up and play just fine. For me, this is preferable to wrongly re-tagging them as 720p to fool the player into seeing them. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.
I hope it is a bug and not a conscious decision on Apple's part to limit home sharing to just 720p files. Since I could sync the 1080p through iTunes, I assumed it was a bug.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:31 PM   #7
MikeCase
macrumors member

I also hope it's a bug. I replaced my 32GB retina iPad with a 16GB mini since I didn't need all the space thanks to Home Sharing. Now with my mini, I'm pretty strapped for space and now I have to sync? Pretty lame.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
fridgeymonster3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCase View Post
I also hope it's a bug. I replaced my 32GB retina iPad with a 16GB mini since I didn't need all the space thanks to Home Sharing. Now with my mini, I'm pretty strapped for space and now I have to sync? Pretty lame.
I agree. I think I may stop by the Apple Store this week and ask a genius to see if they know anything. I'm doubtful they will, but I pass right by the store each day so I might as well give it a shot.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad