Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Irregardless

:mad:

Apple's way of reporting sales is more accurate but a phone sitting in a carrier's inventory is a sale for the manufacturer.

Apple's is pretty much the same as everyone else's. I don't know how the rest of the industry handle's repairs, but Apple does count iPhone repairs and replacements as units sold.

Why does the OP care so much? Did Samsung fire you or something?

It's an ego thing for some. For others, it's like a sporting event. I like to cheer on a company every now and then and don't mind the drama of seeing the underdog succeed, but some just take this stuff too far.

I have no problem with the fact that companies massage their sales figures, TBH, it makes no difference to me, I don't have any shares, it is a part of business, most do it, I have no doubt that Samsung do, but on the other hand there's no doubt in my mind that so do Apple.

This sums up my opinion about the matter as well.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Apparently you are blissfully unaware of the glaring contradiction in your own post. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Michael

What contradiction? Samsung claims 30 million units. How many iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S units have been sold at the time of their claim? More than 30 million. It's a contradiction, but it's not mine.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You're upset that Samsung is lying to you and are trying to defend Apple...

Do I need to remind you that up until 5 minutes before the retina MacBook pro was released, Apple was advertising the 6 month old classic MacBook pro as the "New MacBook Pro"?

Seriously, every corporation lies if you take what they say at face value.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
From the wsj article:

But as long as "everyone I see around me has an iPhone" it must be the world-wide best-seller! ;)

Michael

That article is counting ALL smartphones made by Samsung. Samsung sells more smartphones than Apple. That is indisputable fact. What I am disputing is how flawed Samsung's claims are.

Again, here is what Samsung claimed:

30 million units sold to date (October/November as per your claims) = best-selling smartphone status

Here are the facts:

My source: http://www.statista.com/statistics/12743/worldwide-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

Apple sold 37 million iPhones in Q1 of 2012. And since we are talking about an entire family of devices (Galaxy S3 is not just one single smartphone, there are different models built to specific carrier specifications), then it's quite easy to tell using elementary school mathematics that 37 is a higher number than 30.

Let's not forget that this is ONE SINGLE quarter. If we included the cumulative sales of each iPhone model (3GS, 4, 4S), then all of them have held the "best-selling smartphone" status. This is comparing ONE SINGLE DEVICE (i.e. iPhone 4 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3) versus an entire family of slightly difference devices.

Your WSJ article just tells us marketshare of a company's ENTIRE LINEUP of devices. Let's not forget Samsung also made Nexus devices while insignificant in number, still make up part of that quoted marketshare figure. Samsung does have a much larger lineup of devices (both smartphone and non) than Apple and they do sell more units of each device category. That isn't what we have been disputing. What we have been disputing is whether selling 30 million units cumulative of a single device/device family constitutes best-selling smartphone status. And the answer to that is NO. Apple's iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S have each sold more than 30 million units cumulatively.

----------

You're upset that Samsung is lying to you and are trying to defend Apple...

Do I need to remind you that up until 5 minutes before the retina MacBook pro was released, Apple was advertising the 6 month old classic MacBook pro as the "New MacBook Pro"?

Seriously, every corporation lies if you take what they say at face value.

You missed the point. There is a difference between gussying up figures and outright, blatant lying. Every company artificially inflates figures (some by a lot, some by a little, etc.). Samsung outright, blatantly lied. 30 million units sold to date of a very large family of devices does not constitute best-selling smartphone status since it's not A smartphone, it's smartphoneS with an S. Second, 30 million units sold to date isn't impressive. Apple sold 37 million in ONE quarter, 35 million the next and 26 the quarter after that. Hardly impressive.

What would be more impressive is first weekend or first week sales. That shows how much initial interest. We all know interest decreases after the initial launch. So it's interesting to see how much interest a device started with and track how it changes/decreases over time.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
What contradiction? Samsung claims 30 million units. How many iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S units have been sold at the time of their claim? More than 30 million. It's a contradiction, but it's not mine.
What contradiction? I spelled it out for you with your own quotes from the same post. On one hand you wanted proof in numbers and than in the next breath proclaimed "Everywhere I go, I see more iPhones than even Androids," which proves nothing.

Michael

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What contradiction? I spelled it out for you with your own quotes from the same post. On one hand you wanted proof in numbers and than in the next breath proclaimed "Everywhere I go, I see more iPhones than even Androids," which proves nothing.

Michael

??????????????????????????????????????????

Someone stated a numerically-derived FACT. I asked for their source(s) and how they arrived at such a conclusion.

Then I stated something that I personally experienced, which is obviously NOT reflective of everyone. I also stated a fact that I also provided a source for. You're nitpicking and selectively choosing parts of my post.

Your "logic" (a TREMENDOUS overstatement of the word) is telling me that I cannot ask for definitive proof and then state a personal opinion. Do you even know what an opinion is?

That's like saying "Did Obama really get more votes than Romney in the election?" and then saying "Oh, I thought Romney would be more popular". Is that really so difficult for you to comprehend? Opinions != Facts.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That article is counting ALL smartphones made by Samsung. Samsung sells more smartphones than Apple. That is indisputable fact. What I am disputing is how flawed Samsung's claims are.
So what? This is way too out of hand over something that occurs all of the time and is meaningless. In the grand scheme of things Samsung sells a helluva a lot more smartphones than Apple. And all signs point to them only selling more (than they do now compared to Apple) in 2013.

This is like fighting a trivial battle when you have already lost the war.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
??????????????????????????????????????????

Someone stated a numerically-derived FACT. I asked for their source(s) and how they arrived at such a conclusion.

Then I stated something that I personally experienced, which is obviously NOT reflective of everyone.

Your "logic" (a TREMENDOUS overstatement of the word) is telling me that I cannot ask for definitive proof and then state a personal opinion. Do you even know what an opinion is?

That's like saying "Did Obama really get more votes than Romney in the election?" and then saying "Oh, I thought Romney would be more popular". Is that really so difficult for you to comprehend? Opinions != Facts.
Look... it was a funny contradiction. Apparently I'm not the only one who thought so. That's all. It's not the end of the world.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
Wow, your shiny new phone sold more than my shiny new phone. Does anyone really give a crap? Samsung probably fudged the numbers, all the tech companies do it at some point.

Both are great phones.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Wow, your shiny new phone sold more than my shiny new phone. Does anyone really give a crap? Samsung probably fudged the numbers, all the tech companies do it at some point.

Both are great phones.

LOL....that's actually the bottom line. EVERY company is going to twist the numbers to make them look better.

75% of statistics are made up.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
iPhone 4s numbers from Apple's own quarterly report from Q1 2012.

http://investor.apple.com/results.cfm

iPhone 5 numbers are just from analysts so far. Apple will release those numbers next week.

Q1 2012 - 37 million
Q2 2012 - 35 million
Q3 2012 - 26 million
Q3 2012 - 27 million
Total 2012 - 125 million
This includes ALL iPhones. Apple doesn't break down the numbers - you have to look to analysts for that.

Apple sold the 3GS, 4 and 4s during those quarters. If all sold equally, each phone sold about 42 million. If they sold un-equally, at least ONE phone had minimum of 43 million. Much more than 30 million for the Samsung Galaxy S3

----------

The 30 million is the WORLDWIDE number for Samsung Galaxy S3.
The 58 million is the WORLDWIDE number for the iPhone 5. (We will have to wait until next week's quarterly report by Apple to be sure)

Just because you WANT something to be, doesn't make it to be.

If you're using numbers that combine Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s sales, shouldn't you also combine Samsung GalaxyS, Samsung GalaxysII, and Samsung GalaxysS3 sales being that at least the II and the III are available for purchase?

Seems like that would be a fairer comparison.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I really don't care about how many phones each company sold. The iPhone is great, and the GSIII and Note are excellent as well (but not my cup of tea, but I am thinking about an Android tablet since they are cheaper).

I would like to make an observation: Namely, Apple fans are often accused of mindlessly following trends. Seems to me that by describing their phone as the 'best selling', Samsung are trying to capitalize on a herd mentality. I know Apple keynotes often start with a rather nauseating update on how many phones they've sold, but I get the impression that this information is targeted at developers rather than consumers.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I don't believe the numbers given by both companies. I judge how much they sell based on how many I see in public.

Here in the US I see 10x more iPhones than I see an S3 or Note 2. Apple dominates the US market for sure.

I just got back from Southeast Asia and saw a lot of people using S3's and Note 2's. a lot more than iPhones. But that's only in the wealthier areas. Everyone else is still on candy bar dumb phones.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't believe the numbers given by both companies. I judge how much they sell based on how many I see in public.

Here in the US I see 10x more iPhones than I see an S3 or Note 2. Apple dominates the US market for sure.

I just got back from Southeast Asia and saw a lot of people using S3's and Note 2's. a lot more than iPhones. But that's only in the wealthier areas. Everyone else is still on candy bar dumb phones.

That's funny, I see far more SGS3s, Note 2s, HTCs, and LGs than I see iPhones.

To add to that I see far more iPhones with cracked screens or chips than I see working.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Earlier in the thread...

It's an ego thing for some. For others, it's like a sporting event. I like to cheer on a company every now and then and don't mind the drama of seeing the underdog succeed, but some just take this stuff too far.

And now...
That's funny, I see far more SGS3s, Note 2s, HTCs, and LGs than I see iPhones.

To add to that I see far more iPhones with cracked screens or chips than I see working.

I agree with you. "Some" do tend to use hyperbole to drive their points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.