Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I'm new to the world of Mac with a new MacBook Pro with retina. It's running OS X 10.8.2

How can I change the my dock icons. I've seen videos on how to change the basic dock icons like iTunes, Safari, etc..., but can't seem to find a way to change the folder/drive type icons in the dock.

I'd like to change my "Applications" folder icon, my "Downloads" folder icon, and my "Volume 1" (network drive) icon that opens access to my external hard drive.

What is the best way to change these dock icons?

Thanks so much!

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I'm new to the world of Mac with a new MacBook Pro with retina. It's running OS X 10.8.2

How can I change the my dock icons. I've seen videos on how to change the basic dock icons like iTunes, Safari, etc..., but can't seem to find a way to change the folder/drive type icons in the dock.

I'd like to change my "Applications" folder icon, my "Downloads" folder icon, and my "Volume 1" (network drive) icon that opens access to my external hard drive.

What is the best way to change these dock icons?

Thanks so much!

Most system icons are located here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

Be cautious when you change them, it's always a good idea to make a back up first.
Good luck

Fish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks.

Excuse the ignorance, but how do I open CoreTypes.bundles so I can get the options to choose Contents>Resources?

Fish7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks. I was able to open the contents. Unfortunately, the icons I want to change are not listed in there.

I also tried CandyBar, but same thing. I can't seem to find the ones I want to change.

I'd like to try and change the icons for me external Hard Drive I have listed in my dock. It's listed as Volume 1 and when I click the icon, it opens the contents of my external Hard Drive. I can right click the icon and choose "Show in Finder", the open "get info", but haven't been able to change the icon.

Another one I'm looking to change is a "Windows 7 Applications Folder". This one opens Windows Applications that I can use via Parallels.

Any idea how I can change the icons for these?

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.