Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markr346

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Two strange issues that I can't fix on my new MB Air 13 with MS Office for MAC 2011 and Excel.

1) I can't get the Standard Toolbar to show up when I open a new worksheet. I go to view, toolbars and then see that the Standard Toolbar is checked, but it doesn't show up. The only way to get it to show up is to do a series of steps:
- uncheck Standard Toolbar menu and go back out;
- go back in and check the Standard Toolbar and back to the spreadsheet - the Standard Toolbar still doesn't show up;
- so then I click on the Layout tab on the ribbon ... and then it shows up!

2) I can't see the bottom of the window/spreadsheet -- which means I can't resize the window. To resolve this, I have to do these steps:
- open system preferences, and change my MB Air screen resolution from 1440 x 900 down to 1280 x 800 ...
- then go back to the spreadsheet, and resize the window (make it smaller on the screen)
- go back and resize the window back to 1440 x 900
- and then close the system preferences ... at this point, the Excel spreadsheet window is smaller and I can see/use the bottom of the screen to resize, etc. etc. etc.

Strange ... can't figure out what setting I have wrong or why I can't get Excel for Mac 2011 to work correctly on the MB Air screen ...

Any ideas or solutions is appreciated.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
For #2 if you hit the green button (top left corner of the window) the window goes to max. then resize by grabbing the lower right corner to make it smaller. Now toggle the green button and it should behave correctly. I think the setting should stick if you quit excel and restart but I did not test it. I noticed this issue too on my MBA 11"

Last edited:

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not seeing either of those. When Excel 2011 opens, I can see the full worksheet. If I click the green +, it just extends the right side to fill the screen, but never does the bottom disappear.

As for the toolbar, the standard shows up at launch and I can't repro what you're seeing.

Has it been this way since you first installed?

markr346

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Yes, it's been that way from the start.

Got a fix directly from Microsoft. Here's what must have happened.

I had a MBPro 15" with Office 2008 and I did a Time Machine transfer from the MBP 15" to the MBA 13". On the MBA 13" I upgraded to MS Office 2011 for the MAC ... but I must have kept some of the 2008 preferences after doing an uninstall of 2008.

Microsoft told me I needed to delete these two items in my preferences file (they commented I might have some "corruption in my Excel preferences"):
- com.Microsoft.Excel.plist (drag to trash and delete)
- the Microsoft Folder (drag to trash and delete)

After doing that, the Standard Toolbar was fixed and now shows up.

And the bottom of the spreadsheet, and the screen sizing corner tool, now show up so I can resize Excel screens, etc. Both problems fixed. Must have been corrupt preferences.

BTW - love the MBA 13" ... no degradation in performance over my late 2007 MBPro 15" ... and love the size/weight and speed at start-up and shut-down.

Thanks for the comments.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010

I had a MBPro 15" with Office 2008 and I did a Time Machine transfer from the MBP 15" to the MBA 13". On the MBA 13" I upgraded to MS Office 2011 for the MAC ... but I must have kept some of the 2008 preferences after doing an uninstall of 2008.

Microsoft told me I needed to delete these two items in my preferences file (they commented I might have some "corruption in my Excel preferences"):

And the bottom of the spreadsheet, and the screen sizing corner tool, now show up so I can resize Excel screens, etc. Both problems fixed. Must have been corrupt preferences.

BTW - love the MBA 13" ... no degradation in performance over my late 2007 MBPro 15" ... and love the size/weight and speed at start-up and shut-down.

Thanks for the comments.

Excellent! Glad it was fixed!

LGF

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Norway

Thanks for the comments.

Eh... For a guy who's not that familiar to location of files... Could you please tell us were those two items are located? I do have the same problem, but I couldn't find the .plist file or the folder...

Thanx...:eek:

themunn

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
File Location

I had the same problem. An easy fix by deleting the preference files.

The files are located in user > preferences.

Cheers

redkiteflyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
No Toolbar in Excel

I have the same issue, and also can't find the preference files :eek:
I don't have a folder called 'User' anywhere.. I looked under the folder of my name but there isn't one under that called 'Preferences'

Know I'm being really blonde, but if you can help I'd really appreciate it. I have to do the same workaround as 'markr346', i.e. uncheck the already 'checked' tool bar options under View, and then check them again. Very frustrating.

I'm still on Excel for Mac 2008 and using a 13" MacBookPro and it has always been this way... Until now I didn't use Excel that much on this machine, but I am about to do some work for a client and have to use my own machine!

Thanks in advance ;)

keltoid

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
The files are located in user > preferences.

^^^ Some others asked, but no response was given - don't know where to find this. I was hoping to find out how I can get Excel files (from others) to open so that I can see the bottom (Status bar) -- so I can see if there are tabs with additional information I need, without having to go to View Full Screen all the time. Just want it to open and not show me all the extraneous rows that have nothing in them- is this possible? Working on an Imac with OSX. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Could not find a "user/preferences" location with Microsoft plist files to delete.

PaulMageBurke

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
Yeah? I need this info today. This was the first thread to show up in the search. The answer was not here.
Had to go else where. Now it is here. Don't be sad.

PeterMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried deleting --plist & Microsoft folder, both in preferences, here without success. The issue is that the status bar has fallen off the bottom the screen, and cannot lift the file above the top of the screen to access the status bar. Using green top button to go full screen does not give access to the bottom right corner to drag to a different shape (Sierra), this is only accessed by coming out of full screen when the corner is below the bottom of the screen and inaccessible. Similar background here, migrated from earlier version with Apple Migration tool to Mini with 2011 already on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.