Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Yes, but you need a NAS to do this, otherwise Plex still demands your computer be on to run Plex Media Server. In your case the NAS is on all the time.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Yes, but you need a NAS to do this, otherwise Plex still demands your computer be on to run Plex Media Server. In your case the NAS is on all the time.

Yes, of course something has to be on running a Media server. I prefer that to be NAS, which is a small low-powered ARM system. I can run Plex on a NAS, but I need a computer to run an iTunes server.

manutd27

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Yes, of course something has to be on running a Media server. I prefer that to be NAS, which is a small low-powered ARM system. I can run Plex on a NAS, but I need a computer to run an iTunes server.

Does a NAS store all of my media files, as well as run Plex? I was thinking of purchasing an external HDD to store them all on, but obviously this means keeping my macbook on. If there is a way to do this on a NAS that seems much better!

May I ask if you can recommend one which will work? Thanks

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Does a NAS store all of my media files, as well as run Plex? I was thinking of purchasing an external HDD to store them all on, but obviously this means keeping my macbook on. If there is a way to do this on a NAS that seems much better!

May I ask if you can recommend one which will work? Thanks

Yes, NAS stores all the media (obviously), and it runs PMS (Plex Media Server) and PlexConnect ("translation" script to present PMS to AppleTV Trailers app).

Go with Synology - it's an industry leader and most feature rich. I have DS112 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.