Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
It's like if when Chili's had added the take-out desk they had told customers there would be a week-long delay in preparing phoned-in orders.
Delaying for a week is an artificial cost. It's never a good business practice to introduce an artificial costs.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
To be fair, network programmings are subsidized by cable/satellite carriers and network affiliates. So offering shows online immediately (with fewer commercials to boot) would undermine network's ability to negotiate.

Although one week seems a bit long (ABC and NBC apps offer shows the next day), it is an encouraging trend nevertheless. Fox is now the sole holdout among major US networks as ABC, CBS, CW, and NBC all offer primetime shows on mobile. And frankly, I am in no hurry to watch any of the shows on CBS.

This move also undermines Hulu, which is largely dependent on Fox, international programmings, and strong device support to sustain its value.

I've never really understood the draw of Hulu. Marginal content, full of ads, and it requires a subscription.

DirecTV already gives me all of that.

iHamish

macrumors newbie
CBS has a new app that allows U.S. viewers to watch full ad-supported HD episodes of television shows from the network, typically one week after they air.
Even CW Network (partially owned by CBS) only delays their programming by a day on their app (and I think Hulu). For some of us in the hinterlands, it's the only way to see CW programming. Bad decision by CBS to delay the programming for a full week.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Need to use Airplay Mirroring to watch it on TV.
Sound is a bit crappy.

Craig Ferguson is next day though. I'm betting so is Letterman.

CBS App = Like serving caviar... a week after it's been opened and sitting out exposed... in the sun.

----------

For the record, for anyone who hadn't downloaded it yet: no AirPlay.

You can if you mirror.

----------

I've never really understood the draw of Hulu. Marginal content, full of ads, and it requires a subscription.

Yeah it's a horrible business model for consumers tbh. I actually DO use it but I'm using my sister's so I don't pay for it. I let her use my Netflix in return.

I don't have any TV Service. Rabbit ears suck here in my part of town and I don't have cable or satellite right now. It's an "OK" alternative. But I'd actually feel jipped if I paid for it.

So it's like 2 day old bread with no butter for $1 VS not eating at all.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX

Yea, I was ready to buy Hulu+ until I read about the ads. I'm already paying the cable company to show me ads - not gonna bend over for hulu also.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I dont think any nationally broadcasted channels (i.e. ABC, NBC) require cable verification, because you can just pick it broadcasts for free (rabbit ears). It's the channels that already require a cable subscription to watch on TV (i.e. TBS, HBO, ESPN etc.) that require it on the ios app as well.

Fox app actually does require cable verification.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
About time. The WC has had an app like this for a long time, but it has AirPlay. Great for watching Arrow.

----------

I hope CBS won't include any Ads. They will try to make more $$$ of this.

I'm sure you're speaking in jest. Networks provide content in order to get viewers to watch their money-making ads. If viewers don't watch ads, they don't make money. No ads = no money = no content.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
Does anyone know if this app will work in the UK and other countries?

I think its CBS, maybe i'm incorrect and it was another different american broadcaster (or in fact all of them?? :confused:) but there are some that disable the ability to stream on the web in the UK, which sucks..

What sucks even more, is that a lot of UK broadcasters aren't exactly effective at picking up series. As such I'm using 1channel more n more these days.

*sigh* Sucks being this side of the pond sometimes!! :rolleyes:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Good timing indeed....

have recently bought an iPhone 5, this news sounds like magic for me. Dont have to be in home to see with friends, say, Person of Interest.....:D

Hope that speeds and quality make this CBS app worthwhile. Better? Not delayed shows....:D

:):apple:

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
"delayed by one week" and those stuck in the 90s execs wonder why ppl download illegally when said eps r avab online 5 mins after having aired

Yeah, delayed by one week means not a whole lot will download your app. Come on now, CBS.

tonipoet

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Europe?

Does anyone know if the CBS app can be used in Europe? If not, does anyone know of a end-run around the blocking of TV programs in Europe on American computers?

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
For the record, for anyone who hadn't downloaded it yet: no AirPlay.

It actually can, in a slightly different way, for Apple TV. For newer iOS device uses, do the following:

1. Start show with app
2. Go to AirPlay Settings in iOS
3. Select Apple TV and the Mirroring option
4. Show then appears in both iOS and Apple TV, with screen side with borders on all 4 sides
5. Adjust TV setting for picture size

Result is full screen video and audio from show.

This requires a TV with picture size settings to make 5 work best. OW you get a reduced size 16x9 picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.