Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
kunia
macrumors regular

GTX680 Mac vs PC - real differences

Is there any logical reason to get the mac version of this card over the pc one?
I know I wouldn't have the boot screen with the PC version (got the gt120 for that. It it really just that?
The difference in price is around 200$ (with taxes) - that's a lot.

I feel like I need to update my aging 5870. Other than photoshop/lightroom work, I want to get better FPS in Diablo 3 and WoW under OS X plus a needed boost in BF3 (under Win7 64bit).
Thx
kunia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
GP-SE
macrumors regular

in Windows the PC card will run at PCI-E 2.5gt/s, in OSX it will run at Full Speed 5.0gt/s

Personally I would save the $200 and get the PC version.
GP-SE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Dr. Stealth
macrumors 6502

Save the $$$$$

Same here. I'm running two PC 680's and don't miss the boot screen. At some point someone will post a Mac 680 4GB bios and at that time I'll probably flash my cards. But I'm having no issues without the boot screen.

I hear the Mac 680's are in short supply which is a good thing. They're selling them faster than they expected. That probably means a 4GB Mac version is not far away.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post
in Windows the PC card will run at PCI-E 2.5gt/s, in OSX it will run at Full Speed 5.0gt/s

Is there any noticeable performance hit when running the card at 2.5?
From what I understand I can flash the card for full 5gt/s support under win7
Old May 2, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
xcodeSyn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunia View Post
Is there any noticeable performance hit when running the card at 2.5?
From what I understand I can flash the card for full 5gt/s support under win7
Read MVC's post here regarding the link speed differences between the Mac and PC version in OS X 10.8.3. If you are doing GPGPU work, the link speed difference may be important. For most games, on the other hand, there may not be noticeable performance difference. Just remember that if you flash the Mac rom to a PC card, you get the reference design performance, so there is no need to get an overclocked PC card for that purpose.
xcodeSyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeSyn View Post
Read MVC's post here regarding the link speed differences between the Mac and PC version in OS X 10.8.3. If you are doing GPGPU work, the link speed difference may be important. For most games, on the other hand, there may not be noticeable performance difference. Just remember that if you flash the Mac rom to a PC card, you get the reference design performance, so there is no need to get an overclocked PC card for that purpose.
thanks...
I'm also debating if I should get the GTX670. From all the benchmarks I'm looking at 5% performance hit vs 680. there's at least 100 dollar diffidence. Right now I can get a MSI GTX670 2gb for 350$ + tax.

With the potential 700 series release this month, would the 670/680 price drop?
Old May 2, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
odinsride
macrumors 65816

I just got the 680 Mac edition to replace my 5870, and I can tell you it made a world of difference, especially in Windows playing games like Skyrim and Farcry 3. I can now run these games on Ultra settings at 2560x1600 resolution very smoothly.

I also play WoW (under OSX) and noticed an increased FPS there as well, I can get around 100fps with all settings maxed when I'm standing in Orgrimmar at 2560x1600.

A very much recommended upgrade over the 5870 imo.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:15 PM   #8
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsride View Post
I just got the 680 Mac edition to replace my 5870, and I can tell you it made a world of difference, especially in Windows playing games like Skyrim and Farcry 3. I can now run these games on Ultra settings at 2560x1600 resolution very smoothly.

I also play WoW (under OSX) and noticed an increased FPS there as well, I can get around 100fps with all settings maxed when I'm standing in Orgrimmar at 2560x1600.

A very much recommended upgrade over the 5870 imo.
Thanks...
I think I'll get the 680, just the PC version
Old May 2, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
BConvery
macrumors regular

Quote:
This is exactly the information I am looking for. How much RAM do you have? What does the fps go down to while in a raid?

Thanks so much. I got a ATI 7950 and the performance was very dissappointing. Looking forward to this.
BConvery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BConvery View Post
This is exactly the information I am looking for. How much RAM do you have? What does the fps go down to while in a raid?

Thanks so much. I got a ATI 7950 and the performance was very dissappointing. Looking forward to this.
I have 32gb RAM. I haven't raided yet since getting the 680 so I can't really comment on that. My server is very populated though and Orgrimmar often has a ton of people in it (it's a RP server). One night there was a very large RP event in Orgrimmar with a couple hundred players present. With most of the players on my screen, my FPS was hovering around 40-60fps. On a typical night however (e.g., no huge RP event), I get around 100fps in Orgrimmar.

My normal Org framerates on the 5870 under the same conditions were around 50-60 fps (but that's with some settings decreased - I have everything set to max with the 680 now).

Hope it helps!
Old May 2, 2013, 03:19 PM   #11
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have 32gb RAM. I haven't raided yet since getting the 680 so I can't really comment on that. My server is very populated though and Orgrimmar often has a ton of people in it (it's a RP server). One night there was a very large RP event in Orgrimmar with a couple hundred players present. With most of the players on the screen, my FPS was hovering around 40-60fps. On a typical night however (e.g., no huge RP event), I get around 100fps in Orgrimmar. Hope it helps.
Did you install the card in slot 1 or 2?
Old May 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #12
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Did you install the card in slot 1 or 2?
The bottom one, whichever slot that is. Does it make a difference? I haven't really read much into it.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Topper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The bottom one, whichever slot that is. Does it make a difference? I haven't really read much into it.
The bottom one is the correct answer
Old May 2, 2013, 10:55 PM   #14
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
The bottom one is the correct answer
Thx
Got the card, working great
Old May 3, 2013, 12:24 AM   #15
BConvery
macrumors regular

Did you flash it yet?
BConvery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:55 AM   #16
kunia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BConvery View Post
Did you flash it yet?
Not yet. I'll do it tomorrow.
Just not sure if I should leave the GT120 in when flushing it (since its an nvidia card and might screw it up) and if I should do it through windows 7 64 bit or a boot CD. Kinda new to this.

I'd appreciate any tips
Old May 3, 2013, 01:12 AM   #17
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post

What the? I tought PCs had more advanced gaming hardware, since Mac Pro is 3 years without updating, how is the PCIex on the MacPro faster then a current Pc motherboard?

Besides, since games are coded in Direcx and then ported to OPENGL, isnt gaming on Windows machine superior even with the same specs?

Im just trying to learn more, Im happy with my macmini
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
bsbeamer
macrumors regular

Availability is an issue, depending on your timing and need. Most places are currently quoting 2-3 weeks before they'll have stock of the Mac version again.
bsbeamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:31 AM   #19
xcodeSyn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
What the? I thought PCs had more advanced gaming hardware, since Mac Pro is 3 years without updating, how is the PCIex on the MacPro faster then a current Pc motherboard?
The quote you cited refers to the Windows performance under Boot Camp in a Mac Pro, not in a PC machine. Actually you should get PCIe 3.0 (8 GT/s) link speed from the latest PC motherboard.
xcodeSyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #20
GP-SE
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not yet. I'll do it tomorrow.
Just not sure if I should leave the GT120 in when flushing it (since its an nvidia card and might screw it up) and if I should do it through windows 7 64 bit or a boot CD. Kinda new to this.

I'd appreciate any tips
if you have windows 7 installed in boot camp then use boot camp to flash. I also would remove the GT120 and only have the 680 installed.
GP-SE is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro