Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspindl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
My Mail Yahoo account keeps going offline on my Macbook Pro 10.6.8.
It's been working perfectly for a couple of years, then starting last week every time I would turn my laptop on all the Mail boxes etc were greyed out. I have to go to Mailboxes>Bring all accounts online to get it to work.
What the heck happened? This is very annoying and happens every time I power up the computer or wake it up from sleep.

Thanks
Dave

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Go into your Yahoo web page and change your password. They recently went through a new password system 9more modern) and users should change their password and keep the password 8 characters max. Try that to see if that works and if it doesn't you can always go back. It is worth a try.

dspindl

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks, satcomer. I actually did that in desperation last night and it seems that all is working now. Very weird, since my old password worked fine as long as I was actually on the web and signing in to my yahoo account. Just didn't work when opening Mac's Mail.
In any event, it did fix the problem, and thank you very much for the suggestion. Much appreciated!

One note to anyone having a similar problem....once you have changed your password on your email providers web page, make sure you also go to your Mac's Mail>preferences>accounts window and enter your new password there also.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.