Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I used iPhones exclusively from 2008 until a month ago, when I got a Note 2. I've never been this happy with a phone, ever.

For me it comes down to sacrificing a bit of coherence and reliability for a UI that you can streamline to your personal taste, and quite superior functionality (for the things I want to do with my phone, at least). Sometimes Android does annoy me, for instance it happens that some widgets I install start to contradict the system settings here and there, and sometimes I miss a more coherent design. But these are minor grievances for what I get instead.

My Note 2 is the first phone I've been able to use to write, format and send professional Word documents (using OfficeSuite Pro) without finalizing them on a computer first. Typing is warp speed fast with any of the swiping-style keyboards (I use the stock Samsung one), I can almost reach full physical computer keyboard speeds and I am not exagerrating.

Gaming is actually...real gaming on this thing. The iPhone is just too small. I bought quite a lot of games for my iPhones over the years but often grew tired of them fast because they felt so limited. Now I'm playing games all the time, and enjoying the hell out of it.

But my fave thing is my own personal UI. I can have my notes (Google Keep) immediately accessible next to an overview of my calendar on one homescreen, just a slick open surface with wallpaper + clock/date + swipe-able dock for 15 most used apps + a set of small, unobtrusive and good looking widgets for tilt lock, mute sound, flashlight, wifi hotspot and airplane mode on the middle homescreen, and a direct access music widget on my right homescreen.

I also use gestures for screen off, notification menu down without reaching for the top, double tap for app drawer (which can be awesomely organized with categories), two fingers swipe up for S Note, etc. And each app icon on the dock has a secondary function if you swipe up from it, like going directly to my GF in the address book if I swipe up from the phone icon. (All this thanks to Nova Launcher Prime).

All in all this makes for an utterly slick interface and I generally feel like my interaction with the UI is literally twice as fast and intuitive as it was on iOS. It's fun to use this thing. And then there's of course the back button - which feels like a total revolution when you're coming from iOS. I love it to death. Same with the ever-present settings menu button which works the same in most apps.

So yeah...I can wholeheartedly recommend giving Android a shot. The thing is that you can't get any real impression of how it works until you actually get your own Android phone and start setting it up like you want it to be. I fondled the Note 2 for months in the store and just wouldn't dare make the leap (I'm not made of money :p) but after a day of owning it my picture changed completely.

I'm pretty sure I will get the note 3. I have mentioned in a previous post that it was the first phone that changed the way I used a cell phone. I actually never once pulled out a laptop or ipad while owning one. Also, the split screen is really useful when you are trying to copy something from a screen or have to jot down a quick note in the middle of a phone call.

..oh and lets not forget you cannot kill the battery in a day if you try :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
My opinions based on my own experiences:

My iPhones have been decent phones for most of their lives (although they don't age well, if you get one in a 24 month contract it will have developed faults by the end of that contract) but I am one of those people who thinks iOS has become stale. It's very much the same as it was in 2007 and my personal opinion is it's fallen behind the competition. That said, if you want a phone which will be reliable, have a decent app selection, and sync up with your existing Apple stuff, it might be right for you. How much do you personally care about having something different? If your answer is "not much", the iPhone 5 or 4S could be a safe bet for you. Just don't go older than the 4S.

Samsung make decent phones. I will admit now I do not own one myself but a friend of mine does and I've helped her set it up and get to know it so I've spent a lot of time using it. I've also spent a lot of time using the S4 in shops. TouchWiz can lag a little at times and personally I dislike Samsung's keyboard but Android makes it easy to replace it with something better. Overall if you want a smartphone that delivers a lot of apps and multimedia functionality on a solid well supported OS, it's hard to go wrong with a mid to high range Samsung.

I've saved the worst until last... HTC... don't even mention HTC to me. I have never had an HTC phone that didn't give me problems within the first few months of ownership. They look and feel nice, and a lot of geeks seem to have some type of sudden emotional affinity with them right now for some reason, but I would advise you not to get suckered in by that. Unless random reboots, crappy support, and terrible customer service are your style. Avoid HTC at all costs, they're failing for a reason.

For any Android phone, stay away from the low end. If it costs less than £150 (outside of a contract) it's crap, that's the general rule. In fact the only smartphones that are exempt from this rule are those running Windows Phone 8. That runs nicely on cheap hardware. Low spec (outdated) iPhones and Android phones, not so much.

I consider myself to be impartial when it comes to this stuff. I use an Android tablet and an iPhone which I will shortly replace with a BB10 phone. Over the years I've used everything from legacy BlackBerries to the Palm Pre. I'm always willing to try new platforms and I'm far from any type of fanboy. So take from this post what you will.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm pretty sure I will get the note 3. I have mentioned in a previous post that it was the first phone that changed the way I used a cell phone. I actually never once pulled out a laptop or ipad while owning one. Also, the split screen is really useful when you are trying to copy something from a screen or have to jot down a quick note in the middle of a phone call.

..oh and lets not forget you cannot kill the battery in a day if you try :)

I'm readily open to a Note 3 type device & screen size, but I'd never buy it with Touchwiz like it is currently.

I really want is a 4.7-5" iPhone with iOS 7 (assuming its good as hoped) and a 13mp camera. That would be pure candy in a shell :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm readily open to a Note 3 type device & screen size, but I'd never buy it with Touchwiz like it is currently.

I really want is a 4.7-5" iPhone with iOS 7 (assuming its good as hoped) and a 13mp camera. That would be pure candy in a shell :)

I always put nova on my phones, so touchwiz is a non-issue as long as I can disable things that would cause stutter on the phone.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
That's interesting, as I've noticed many Android users posting in this subforum comment that Android keyboards, and in particular Swiftkey, are superior to iOS. What about the Android keyboards sucks for you? And does iOS keyboard give you any problems?

I thought that all touch screen keyboard suck until I tried SwiftKey and then later, Swype (again as my first experience with Swype was on Symbian). I always preferred physical keyboard have had great difficulty typing accurately on touch screen keyboards both on iOS and Android. It wasn't until I tried SwiftKey that I felt a touch screen keyboard can be as good as a physical keyboard. In fact, SwiftKey on a touch screen was better than the physical keyboards I have used. I type faster and more accurately with SwiftKey.

I normally type in landscape orientation with 2 thumbs. However, on occasion, I would type in portrait. Usually, that happens if I'm lying down and using the phone with auto-rotate turned off. It also happens if I just want to use one hand. Swype allows me to type accurately with just one hand. It's a bit slower than SwiftKey in landscape. I generally switch between the two depending on what orientation I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.