Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
No it doesn't. A customer wants a Mac, that is the target market. Like all successful companies Apple has created a product line. Look inside a Mini, iMac or MBP and what do you see? The same thing! Same chips, same capabilities, just minor differences and a different board layout. They just take the same ideas and repackage them. A different purpose and target market would be between the iPhone and the Mac. Within the Mac line they're essentially the same, with variations to fit whatever specific the customer wants. The MBP can certainly act as either a desktop or mobile regardless.

You're comparing a Xeon with dual GPU's against a monitor with a consumer CPU inside which is the largest difference between the Macs. Any way you cut it given the BOM on the new Mac Pro the chances of it coming in at $1.5k is practically zero IMO.

A laptop and a desktop are not the same market. That is like saying a car and a mini van are the same market. Also, you are assuming that all Mac Pro's are going to come with a dual GPU. We shall wait and see though.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
A laptop and a desktop are not the same market. That is like saying a car and a mini van are the same market. Also, you are assuming that all Mac Pro's are going to come with a dual GPU. We shall wait and see though.

I think dual GPUs are one of the actual certainties we know about the new Mac Pro. Why would you think otherwise?

graphics_dualgpus.png

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
If I could match your prices, I'd tend to agree. However, I'm finding that 4x16 is presently $880 and 4x32 is $3500.

Ingram Micro shows 4x16GB LPDDR3 1600 @ $597 and 4x32GB LPDDR3 1600 @ $1859.

Personally, I don't buy retail. And I understand that very few have access to wholesale prices. But if you look around, you can find pretty good prices on sites like Newegg and ProVantage.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
If I'm lucky then the Apple Tube is coming in at a (too) high price, sales stay pathetic and after one year Apple declares that production of the MacPro will be suspended indefinitely (sounds familiar? ;)).

Then Apple will try to get rid of their stock and i can get a good price on the 2013 Cube... :p:D

Attachments

• MacProCube.jpg
    MacProCube.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.