Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

iPad 4 Speed vs 3: Video

Hunting around on youtube found this interesting one showing the performance increase in demanding apps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgU1VGHq93U
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
Hunting around on youtube found this interesting one showing the performance increase in demanding apps.

Good find, thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Claefer
macrumors regular

Finally! I was looking at comparison videos yesterday and all they do is test which iPad can launch Angry Birds faster. Ugh.
Claefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claefer View Post
Finally! I was looking at comparison videos yesterday and all they do is test which iPad can launch Angry Birds faster. Ugh.
Yes, if all you do is spend hours flicking between home screens you might not notice much difference, but for those who actually use their iPad productively there is clearly a massive speed increase.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Booji
macrumors regular

You will save one second when you open games - think of all the extra time you will have to play Temple Run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M
Booji is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
You will save one second when you open games - think of all the extra time you will have to play Temple Run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M
Like I said...if you use your iPad as a productive tool, the speed increase is massive.
Eadfrith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:01 AM   #7
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Like I said...if you use your iPad as a productive tool, the speed increase is massive.
Lol describe productive?
iapplelove is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:01 AM   #8
roverma
macrumors member

Faster GPU

Try Smurf's village , the speed increase is very noticable when sailing the boat to the island.
On iPad 3 this was not smooth at all, on iPad 4 it's flawless......
roverma is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Lol describe productive?
not playing games?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:09 AM   #10
clyde2801
macrumors 601

If I was doing a lot of photo and video editing work on the iPad, I would call the difference massive.

I think all the videos posted so far are productive, and do a better job at describing the capabilities of each machine more than an artificial benchmark.

The iP4 could fairly be described as the iPad Pro in terms of performance on more demanding pro apps. It's kind of like what a blackshirt at Best Buy told me when the 15" rMBP came out, "Yeah, it's a gorgeous machine. But it's only a must have if you're using it for photo and video editing."

No doubt the a6x will have longer legs, i.e., be usable for a longer time as apps will get more demanding over time. But as a relatively undemanding iP3 owner, I have no need to go out and look for Ms. Right when I'm still having a blast with Ms. Right Now.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
tarasis
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks for unearthing a decent comparison video.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #12
ppark
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent. You should better define productive in my opinion, but I understand what you are trying to say.

The problem I have is that you describe seeing massive speed increase when being "productive". You say being productive is not playing games, however, one will notice a speed increase in games; the more graphic-intensive, the more noticeable the difference. Photo and video editing productivity are definitely points where the speed is noticeable, as seen in the video.

I believe I use my iPad as a productive tool, however I do not do any photo or video editing. I read, edit, and create PDFs and Docs for work. I constantly email clients, schedule mettings, etc. I do not see a difference in my iPad and my co-workers.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad