Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1
elbaseball212
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Buy MBP now or wait till update?

I currently have a White Macbook (Oct, 2009) 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD and it seems to be getting slower and slower. My battery shows that it needs to be serviced and I really just need more ram to do everyday things. I think its time to replace.

Here is where my question lies. Im going to spend the $1500 and get the fully loaded 13" MBP but should i wait till the next update? Will there be enough of a change to warrant me waiting.

Right now the current fully loaded 13" MBP has 2.9GHz Core i7, 8GM Ram, 750GB HD which is a huge upgrade from what i'm currently running.

Does anyone know when the next update will be? Will the chip change? Will there be a dramatic increase in processor, ram, HD?
elbaseball212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
The next expected update is in Q2/Q3 2013 with the Haswell chipset. It expects 10-20% improvements in some areas.

You can go nuts waiting for the next version because when it comes out, Intel will have already roadmapped the next chipset.
old-wiz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbaseball212 View Post
I currently have a White Macbook (Oct, 2009) 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD and it seems to be getting slower and slower. My battery shows that it needs to be serviced and I really just need more ram to do everyday things. I think its time to replace.

Here is where my question lies. Im going to spend the $1500 and get the fully loaded 13" MBP but should i wait till the next update? Will there be enough of a change to warrant me waiting.

Right now the current fully loaded 13" MBP has 2.9GHz Core i7, 8GM Ram, 750GB HD which is a huge upgrade from what i'm currently running.

Does anyone know when the next update will be? Will the chip change? Will there be a dramatic increase in processor, ram, HD?
There will always be a reason to wait. If the new releases were only a month or 2 away it might make sense. The odds are though the next MBPs will not be released for 6 months. I don't see that worth waiting for unless you really don't need a new machine.
Penn Jennings is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
CrackerJackToy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Next update wont be until at least June, but do what I do, buy now, sell next May, upgrade in June. I did that this year. I just bought a 2012 MBA yesterday and plan to do the same thing with it in May. And I usually make within 85-90% of my money back.
__________________
MacBook Air 2012
iPhone 5 32 GB // Black
iPad 4 16 GB // White
Apple TV3
CrackerJackToy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:12 PM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
It is possible Apple will phase those out with cheaper rMBP versions.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
My advice would be something along the lines of: Buy if you need, but wait if you simply want.....

If you need the computer, buy it now, irrespective of when the next update occurs (unless that update is scheduled for next week, for example); if, on the other hand, you merely want, or would like a new computer, wait and see what the future (in terms of the next six months) will bring.....
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
The different between the 2012 and 2013 MBP will not really be noticeable. If the 2012 struggles do get the job done - the 2013 wont be much better.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
elbaseball212
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
I was able to sell my Oct. 2009 White Macbook on ebay for $600 and I am now in the market for a 13.3 MBP 750gb HD 8gb Ram (retail $1499).

anyone know where to get the best deal. Best buy is showing $1429 pick up in store, anything less then that?
elbaseball212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbaseball212 View Post
I currently have a White Macbook (Oct, 2009) 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD and it seems to be getting slower and slower. My battery shows that it needs to be serviced and I really just need more ram to do everyday things. I think its time to replace.

Here is where my question lies. Im going to spend the $1500 and get the fully loaded 13" MBP but should i wait till the next update? Will there be enough of a change to warrant me waiting.

Right now the current fully loaded 13" MBP has 2.9GHz Core i7, 8GM Ram, 750GB HD which is a huge upgrade from what i'm currently running.

Does anyone know when the next update will be? Will the chip change? Will there be a dramatic increase in processor, ram, HD?
Why have you not bumped that thing to 4GB of RAM yet? That will make a substantial difference and will definitely give that machine at least enough life to get you well past the date of discontinuation of the current crop of MacBook Pros. Unless you want to sell that machine now, though, you'll make more money selling it with 4GB of RAM versus 2GB of RAM.

Otherwise, yes, the next rev is likely going to introduce Intel Haswell chips and they will bring a substantial increase in processor speed and integrated graphics performance. Expect the non-retina MacBook Pros to be discontinued leaving only the retina models in the MacBook Pro product line. Externally, expect little to change between this year's 13" and 15" retina and next year's. Under the hood, expect some layout changes, but nothing drastic like quad-core/discrete GPU for the 13" or dual-SSDs for the 15". RAM will still be soldered and likely 8GB and 16GB options at either the current speed of DDR3 or one faster (my guess is current 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3L RAM will continue on into the next rev). Prices on the SSDs ought to come down a little to make it affordable and so that it better fits the price-points left over from the non-retina models of today.

As for whether now's the right time to buy, if you didn't have a machine that had more time left in it, I'd say that now is "buy now or wait time". Wait any longer, and it makes more sense to wait for the refresh. Otherwise, buy now. But in your case, I'd slap more RAM in what you have, maybe upgrade the drive (spend no more than $150 in the process), wait a good six to eight months from now, and then re-evaluate whether to buy or wait.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
elbaseball212
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebubbleman View Post
Why have you not bumped that thing to 4GB of RAM yet? That will make a substantial difference and will definitely give that machine at least enough life to get you well past the date of discontinuation of the current crop of MacBook Pros. Unless you want to sell that machine now, though, you'll make more money selling it with 4GB of RAM versus 2GB of RAM.

Otherwise, yes, the next rev is likely going to introduce Intel Haswell chips and they will bring a substantial increase in processor speed and integrated graphics performance. Expect the non-retina MacBook Pros to be discontinued leaving only the retina models in the MacBook Pro product line. Externally, expect little to change between this year's 13" and 15" retina and next year's. Under the hood, expect some layout changes, but nothing drastic like quad-core/discrete GPU for the 13" or dual-SSDs for the 15". RAM will still be soldered and likely 8GB and 16GB options at either the current speed of DDR3 or one faster (my guess is current 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3L RAM will continue on into the next rev). Prices on the SSDs ought to come down a little to make it affordable and so that it better fits the price-points left over from the non-retina models of today.

As for whether now's the right time to buy, if you didn't have a machine that had more time left in it, I'd say that now is "buy now or wait time". Wait any longer, and it makes more sense to wait for the refresh. Otherwise, buy now. But in your case, I'd slap more RAM in what you have, maybe upgrade the drive (spend no more than $150 in the process), wait a good six to eight months from now, and then re-evaluate whether to buy or wait.
thanks for the post. i thought about it and decided to sell my macbook and upgrade now. will be purchasing tomorrow from best buy with educational pricing.

thanks
elbaseball212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy new Retina MBP now or wait for update? imageWIS MacBook Pro 17 Apr 26, 2014 11:59 AM
iPad: Buy the iPad Air or wait till February? Rob2506 iPad 31 Nov 27, 2013 02:42 PM
Wait till Black Friday to Buy? lolajlb MacBook Pro 8 Nov 9, 2013 09:32 AM
Should i buy now or wait till bts starts Chrisdrummer97 MacBook Air 2 Jun 29, 2013 12:22 PM
rMPB: buy now or wait till later? crashwins MacBook Pro 49 Apr 15, 2013 05:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC