Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
My boys (2 ) and I all share an Apple ID, we all have our own iCloud accounts so that iMessage stays correct. Now I updated to mountianlion on my MAc all is good, but in theirs I need to set up my apple ID and their iCloud account. How do you do this?

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
My boys (2 ) and I all share an Apple ID, we all have our own iCloud accounts so that iMessage stays correct. Now I updated to mountianlion on my MAc all is good, but in theirs I need to set up my apple ID and their iCloud account. How do you do this?

Same as you do now on the iOS side

iCloud is set to theirs.

App Store is set to yours.

Done

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Where do you go in the software to set it on a Mac?

Also, what happened to the ichat icon on the tool bar? How do I get it backk?

thanks

Same as you do now on the iOS side

iCloud is set to theirs.

App Store is set to yours.

Done

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA

This is not what you asked but just a suggestion. You should consider using a unique iTunes account for each person. You can still sync and share all the apps, music, etc via Home Sharing and then the original "problem" goes away. Unless perhaps you're using the single account to monitor what the boys download.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
I will end up paying for each song 2x or 3x you way correct?

This is not what you asked but just a suggestion. You should consider using a unique iTunes account for each person. You can still sync and share all the apps, music, etc via Home Sharing and then the original "problem" goes away. Unless perhaps you're using the single account to monitor what the boys download.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I will end up paying for each song 2x or 3x your way correct?

Nope. You're allowed to share iTunes purchased content in a single home with family. It's not cheating or stealing. Example: I have an iTunes account and an iPhone and so does my wife. If I buy an app or song, I can copy it to her computer/iTunes via Home Sharing. Since I've authorized her computer with my account (you're allowed up to 5 authorizations), she can use the app without repurchasing it.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Will that sync over to her phone? And does she have her own apple ID.
Nope. You're allowed to share iTunes purchased content in a single home with family. It's not cheating or stealing. Example: I have an iTunes account and an iPhone and so does my wife. If I buy an app or song, I can copy it to her computer/iTunes via Home Sharing. Since I've authorized her computer with my account (you're allowed up to 5 authorizations), she can use the app without repurchasing it.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Purchases made on my Mac or iPhone do not "auto-sync" to her phone or computer (she has her own of each). But, they can be copied via Home Sharing very easily. In Home Sharing, there is even an option to display only the content of the other computer not on the current computer (then just click the Import button).

Yes, she has her own Apple ID. Again, her ID is authorized on my Mac and mine on hers (along with our own).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.