Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I want to tether

I'm following this because I want to tether my Laptop to my iPad. Thanks to AT&T's restrictions I cannot do that unless I jailbreak.
I am running 6.1.3
At the very beginning of this post I think I saw 6.1.3 is not jailbroken yet.
So at this point I am SOL - correct?
Any advice that will help me tether my laptop to my iPad would be greatly appreciated whether it involves jailbreaking or not. Any help?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I'm following this because I want to tether my Laptop to my iPad. Thanks to AT&T's restrictions I cannot do that unless I jailbreak.
I am running 6.1.3
At the very beginning of this post I think I saw 6.1.3 is not jailbroken yet.
So at this point I am SOL - correct?
Any advice that will help me tether my laptop to my iPad would be greatly appreciated whether it involves jailbreaking or not. Any help?

You can't JB 6.1.3 and there likely won't be one until the next major iOS release. Even after the release, it will take several months for a JB to be released. Probably late fall, early winter. All you can do is pay for tethering like getting in a cheap $30 T-Mobile plan and then paying $15 for tethering. You can also get a mobile hotspot device at various places.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I succumbed

I called AT&T today to ask them about the tethering plan for my iPad mini, which is a stand-alone plan and not part of my iPhone contract. Since I'm already paying 30 bucks for 3gb, for another $20 I can have tethering. I did give in and told them to add that to my plan. The upside - this is a noncommittal deal that I can cancel at any time with no penalty. The downside is the money. I have a Dell laptop that I want to be able to tether to my iPad mini. If the connection is fast enough I'll keep it. If it's not I wont.
I have a MiFi card that I use for that purpose now,but it is 3g. So that will be my trade off - if the connection is faster than the MiFi ,I'll keep it. . Btw, the MiFi is offered by Truconnect. It is very solid and costs very little to own. It works on the Sprint network which is pretty solid. I use it for power outages too. (No, I don't work for Truconnect. This is not an advert lol)
I will follow up with the speed of the connection when I get around to testing it. Probably in next few days.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I did test it and it is much faster than 3G. Blinding speed? No.. But adequate. For 20 more dollars per month I will keep for a while.

So while talking to an AT&T rep, they suggested that I get a share plan for my 2 iPads. I share 4 gigs and am spending much less money. I don't stream unless on wifi, and so I am averaging less than 3 gigs a month between the two, and my wife and I are pretty much non stop with email and web brousing. And my mini is a wifi hotspot if I need for it to be.
I'm really happy with this new arrangement. It seems AT&T is getting easier to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.