Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Exactly. They're gambling. Relatively little to lose, but being one of the first out of the gate, a lot to gain.

Only if they can produce these in volume and get them in stores quickly.

Otterbox and Speck might be a couple weeks behind... but their manufacturing ability and existing distribution deals with retailers might give them the upper hand in the end.

It's one thing to say you've got the first iPad 5 case... it's another thing to get it in stores for me to purchase.

I'm not familiar with Gumdrop Cases... are they a big enough company to get them in thousands of stores overnight?

They might make a bunch of money during the launch week if they have one of the first cases available... but what about the rest of the year?

Does anyone remember who had the first iPhone 5 case? The first iPad Mini case? And does it matter today?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
dont they read macrumors? lol. even loopinsight predict ipad 5 won't coming.
i'm guessing their "source" is one of the vendors / suppliers for this case :D

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
They must know something we don't know. ;)

I don't think this particular company would take a chance like this unless they knew something. If the iPad 5 is ready to go, Apple would be wise to release it this month or next month to

1) take advantage of back to school sales over the summer.

2) boost their stock.

3) give the iPad 5 three to four months to have the spotlight before retina mini takes over the show.

4) give people like myself the dilemma: should I buy the iPad 5, wait for the retina mini or maybe choose Apple's preference, buy both.

We'll find out next week.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Why can't you guys handle that you might be wrong?

This is actually a perfect time to announce a iPad 5 (business wise)

Apple would ever announce an iPad 5 with a retina iPad mini.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
They must either be taking a huge gamble (like the iPhone in past years) or they have insider knowledge.

I know Apple likes to keep things a secret but it should let some accessories makers in on any big changes, at the shops the other day and I didn't see one iPhone speaker dock with the new connector built in. Makes me wonder how many have been getting them as gifts but they have a new iPhone, or plan on upgrading soon?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
4) give people like myself the dilemma: should I buy the iPad 5, wait for the retina mini or maybe choose Apple's preference, buy both.

My vote is "both". I've found uses for each size just like the dinner and salad forks in my kitchen.

Looking forward to the 5 IF it's back to iPad 2 or less weight. My only issue w/ my iPad 3 is weight so if Apple didn't solve that problem no need for me to upgrade and I'll just wait for the mini 2 (assuming it has Retina, or that will be of no interest to me either). I don't think I'm alone in my thinking. A lot of pressure for Apple.

nwtedshred

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Not stylish... Rock Solid Case!

I will vouch for the Gumdrop case. Definitely not stylish, but rock solid protection. I have 2 boys now 10 & 6, and a several years old ipad 2 that would NEVER have survived the two of them without a bomber case like this. Been dropped more than a few times w/ no damage. Lots of friends have had the "opportunity" to replace their screens, some more than once, because they needed a stylish, flimsy case for a device that their kids used a lot.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
What a hideous case.

Agreed. I don't want my iPad to look like a tire tread.

----------

I just can't wait for them to describe the dimensions in terms of "inches thin" and so many "pounds light".

Oh wait... I can.... :mad:

Yeah. It's like "years young." Grrrrrrr!!

----------

They already do it. It annoys me every time. It's a thickness and weight. A measurement of "Heaviness" rather than "lightness"

"Lightness" as a measure should be reserved for lighter than air elements like helium.

----------

Risky. Rumors are what they are, rumors. These aren't even that cheap and it's very likely the sizing will be slightly off between the "leaked" size and actual size. So early adopters run the risk of buying not-cheap-at-all cases that may or may not fit their new iPads that well.

Most likely it's just a rendering. They are "available now only as a "pre-order," meaning they don't actually have to have built anything. When the new iPad comes out, they'll make an iPad 5 sized tire tread and ship it out to every pre-orderer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.