Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than two weeks ago, Apple revealed digital flip-style signage outside its forthcoming retail store in Manhattan's historic Grand Central Terminal. The signage consisted of 58 separate display panels showing a rotating group of messages regarding the store's grand opening, which is scheduled for this Friday, December 9th.

grand_central_store_barrier_down_1.jpg

With the opening just three days away and a closed event for the media scheduled for tomorrow, techfootnote reveals that Apple has now removed the signage and begun disassembling the black construction barrier that had blocked the main stairway entrance to the store. The store's entrance and views onto the balconies remain obscured by black curtains, which can be quickly and easily removed ahead of the store's opening.

grand_central_store_barrier_down_2.jpg

Apple has posted information on the store, noting that the location will offer a relatively early opening time of 7:00 AM on weekdays in order to accommodate the needs of commuters utilizing the terminal.

Article Link: Grand Central Terminal Store Digital Signage Removed Ahead of December 9th Opening

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It's very like Apple to setup a special sign teasing the opening of the store for a few days and then taking it down a few days later. But the sign did serve it's purpose! (Unless they plan to put it back up, but I doubt it.) :p

Dan Forsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Everything Apple does leans toward the cryptic.

It's in the very DNA of the company.

I'd say it still works for them.

Dan

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I sometimes wonder what happens to some of Apple's toys. Like this digital sign, for example.

Where is it now?

I almost feel like if one raided the basement of their NC datacenter they'd find something like the infamous scene from Indiana Jones:

Government_Warehouse.jpg

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I sometimes wonder what happens to some of Apple's toys. Like this digital sign, for example.

Where is it now?

Probably gone back to the outfit Apple hired it from. There are companies that deal with exhibition signage. No need for Apple to accumulate more junk for occasional use.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I haven't been able to find any high enough resolution or close enough photos of the sign, but I assume, from the size and how deep the blacks are around each character of the sign, that it was made out of an array of Apple 27" Displays.

Apple hardly ever uses signage or displays from 3rd parties to promote their product. The big iPhone 3GS window displays that featured app store apps were 30" cinema displays built into a custom housing with a MacPro laying on it's side in the base.

The "Live from the App Store" Installation piece that they had at WWDC a couple years back was also an array of 20 apple displays.

The only thing I ever saw in an apple store that wasn't apple branded and used as digital signage were the displays above the genius bar.

It was probably dismantled and each display repurposed, or stored for the next time they need to assemble a big array.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.