Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
I have a 2012 MBA, with an SSD which is encrypted with Filevault. However, when running Disk Utility to check the disk in OS X, an error is found, and I am instructed to run Disk Utility from the Recovery Disk (CMD+R during startup).

Because the disk is encrypted, I have to mount it in Disk Utility in order to gain access to it and subsequently fix it. However, Disk Utility asks me for a password to mount said drive. I have no clue what this password is. It is certainly not my admin password.

I tried using the Filevault recovery key to unlock it, but to no avail. I could disable Filevault encryption and gain access that way, but optimally I would like to resolve the password issue. Is there any way to change this password? I have yet to find a setting for this in OS X (though this might be due to retardation on my part).

Did I screw up the password, or is there some other factor at large here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Because the disk is encrypted, I have to mount it in Disk Utility in order to gain access to it and subsequently fix it. However, Disk Utility asks me for a password to mount said drive. I have no clue what this password is. It is certainly not my admin password.

Unless you have changed something, your admin user login password will unlock this.

When you reboot the machine, what password do you put in to login? That same PW should unlock FV in Disk Util.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
I must have changed something, because my admin password does not unlock (or mount) the drive in Disk Utility.

Could it be that I created a separate password for FV during setup? I cannot for the life of me remember if that was the case (or if thats even possible. In such an event, I didn't jolt it down in 1Password for safe keeping..

I guess I'll have to disable/enable FV again and pay close attention.

Thanks Weaselboy, helpful as always! :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I must have changed something, because my admin password does not unlock (or mount) the drive in Disk Utility.

Could it be that I created a separate password for FV during setup? I cannot for the life of me remember if that was the case (or if thats even possible. In such an event, I didn't jolt it down in 1Password for safe keeping..

I guess I'll have to disable/enable FV again and pay close attention.

Thanks Weaselboy, helpful as always! :)

What you could have done is changed your user password AFTER you setup FV and now they are different.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Ok, so changing my admin password to something else, resolved it. It does not explain why my former admin password didn't work, though. Glitchy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.