Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #26
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaphil6 View Post
i dont see what the big deal is? Shouldn't it all already be 256 AAC with iTunes Match?
If iTunes Match matches 100% of my music. Which it doesn't. And if I replaced lossless music with lower quality 256 KBit AAC. Which I don't. And if I want to put 256 KBit AAC onto my iPod. Which I might not want to do. This gives the choice of putting 128 KBit, 192 KBit or 256 KBit onto the iPod.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
For that, just make sure you have the desired bit rates etc. in "Import Settings", and select all your music, right click, "Create AAC version".
And realise that it _will_ reduce the quality of all your music permanently.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:01 PM   #27
omegaphil6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
If iTunes Match matches 100% of my music. Which it doesn't. And if I replaced lossless music with lower quality 256 KBit AAC. Which I don't. And if I want to put 256 KBit AAC onto my iPod. Which I might not want to do. This gives the choice of putting 128 KBit, 192 KBit or 256 KBit onto the iPod.
ok well the point of this post was that they added 256 KBit... all the other options have always been there so your point is moot.
omegaphil6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:13 PM   #28
Sol
Thread Starter
macrumors 65832
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaphil6 View Post
ok well the point of this post was that they added 256 KBit... all the other options have always been there so your point is moot.
Actually if you read the original post, I mentioned in it that users previously only had the option of down converting to 128 kbps and that the latest iTunes/iOS update added the options of 192 and 256 kbps.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
Here, see for yourself.

Incase you're wondering, that list also includes 128kb, and 192kb, in addition to the forementioned 256kb.
We know. All three options were mentioned in the original post and that is what everyone was discussing here before you showed up.
__________________
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER

Last edited by balamw; Mar 12, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Clean up after merge
Sol is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:54 AM   #29
cherrykate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Convert higher bit-rate songs feature updated!

In fact, if you don't know how to adjust the audio parameters, get a thrid party audio app from cnet, lots of them are free.
__________________
Macbook Pro, iPhone 4 32G
cherrykate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:37 AM   #30
omegaphil6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Actually if you read the original post, I mentioned in it that users previously only had the option of down converting to 128 kbps and that the latest iTunes/iOS update added the options of 192 and 256 kbps.[COLOR="#808080"]
Not sure what version of iTunes you have been using but 192 kbps has always been available.
omegaphil6 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:40 AM   #31
Sol
Thread Starter
macrumors 65832
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrykate View Post
In fact, if you don't know how to adjust the audio parameters, get a thrid party audio app from cnet, lots of them are free.
Read the original post. We are talking about two different things. I am not talking about the compression settings that you can change in the Preferences. What we are talking about here is the 'Convert higher bit-rate songs to 128 - 256 kbs' option that appears in the front-most tab when an iOS device is connected to the computer and iTunes. This is an option to non-destructively convert the library on your iOS device without modifying the library on the host computer.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaphil6 View Post
Not sure what version of iTunes you have been using but 192 kbps has always been available.
No it has not. You could compress music to any codec and kbps setting in the Preferences but what we are talking about is the option to compress only the music on the iOS device without modifying the originals in the host computer. Previously this was limited to 128 kbps but since the last iOS and/or iTunes update, we have the additional options of 192 and 256 kbps.
__________________
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER
Sol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:00 AM   #32
omegaphil6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
No it has not. You could compress music to any codec and kbps setting in the Preferences but what we are talking about is the option to compress only the music on the iOS device without modifying the originals in the host computer. Previously this was limited to 128 kbps but since the last iOS and/or iTunes update, we have the additional options of 192 and 256 kbps.
perhaps we are talking about two different things. But in the preferences, you can change it to convert to AAC and choose 192 kbps. Its always been like that. I know for a fact because ive used it before.
omegaphil6 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:03 AM   #33
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaphil6 View Post
perhaps we are talking about two different things. But in the preferences, you can change it to convert to AAC and choose 192 kbps. Its always been like that. I know for a fact because ive used it before.
Yes, you are talking about two different things (as he already pointed out). We all know you could always convert or import at the various bitrates. However, there is a feature to downconvert songs when transferring to an iPod so that you can fit more music on the iPod (without downconverting the files in iTunes). It used to only allow you to downconvert to 128K; it now allows other options.
mchalebk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #34
omegaphil6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Yes, you are talking about two different things (as he already pointed out). We all know you could always convert or import at the various bitrates. However, there is a feature to downconvert songs when transferring to an iPod so that you can fit more music on the iPod (without downconverting the files in iTunes). It used to only allow you to downconvert to 128K; it now allows other options.
OOOHHH Crapola, my bad.
omegaphil6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:56 PM   #35
marcusj0015
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Actually if you read the original post, I mentioned in it that users previously only had the option of down converting to 128 kbps and that the latest iTunes/iOS update added the options of 192 and 256 kbps.

----------



We know. All three options were mentioned in the original post and that is what everyone was discussing here before you showed up.
I made a separate thread and it was merged, calm down.

Last edited by dejo; Mar 13, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Removed insult.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:04 PM   #36
amsquires83
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Cool, so if this setting is used, can anyone tell me what files it would actually chose to convert?

I am assume that if for example you set the option to 256 kbps, then it would convert any existing files (down to 256 kbps) that exist in iTunes at a higher than 256 kbps rate, and leaves all files at 256 kbps or less untouched. Similarly, if you were to set it to 128 it would convert all files that are above 128 down to 128.

So the lower you set this option the more files it's likely to need to convert...
amsquires83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:18 AM   #37
Sol
Thread Starter
macrumors 65832
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsquires83 View Post
Cool, so if this setting is used, can anyone tell me what files it would actually chose to convert?

I am assume that if for example you set the option to 256 kbps, then it would convert any existing files (down to 256 kbps) that exist in iTunes at a higher than 256 kbps rate, and leaves all files at 256 kbps or less untouched. Similarly, if you were to set it to 128 it would convert all files that are above 128 down to 128.

So the lower you set this option the more files it's likely to need to convert...
If you choose Convert higher bit-rate songs to 128 kbps then any file with a kbps rate higher than 128 will be converted on the iOS device that is being synced. Any files that are 128 kbps or lower already will be copied as they are.
__________________
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER
Sol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:17 AM   #38
aleclerc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
For some reason, when I select this option is appears as though it actually grows the size of my library. I have about 19GB of music, and when select it takes up approximately 21GB. I haven't actually converted it, but when I select the option iTunes does what I can only assume is some estimation and the space chart down below (blue) grows for my music.

Most of my stuff is mp3 so my only guess is that 256kbps AAC is bigger than 320kbps mp3. Anyone have any idea here?
aleclerc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:46 AM   #39
Sol
Thread Starter
macrumors 65832
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleclerc View Post
For some reason, when I select this option is appears as though it actually grows the size of my library. I have about 19GB of music, and when select it takes up approximately 21GB. I haven't actually converted it, but when I select the option iTunes does what I can only assume is some estimation and the space chart down below (blue) grows for my music.

Most of my stuff is mp3 so my only guess is that 256kbps AAC is bigger than 320kbps mp3. Anyone have any idea here?
No, that can't be it. the kbps setting indicates KiloBits Per Second, so the higher the kbps, the larger the file will be, regardless of the codec used. Maybe it's worth trying to see if the final size will be 21GB as estimated or if the estimate is wrong. It might take an afternoon but if the end result is indeed larger than the original library, you could simply revert by unchecking the "Convert higher bit-rate..." before the next sync (which would also take a couple of hours to copy 21 GB but at least it will not be transcoding).
__________________
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER
Sol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:07 PM   #40
Viper2005
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada / HK
I wish there was a way set do it wouldn't convert my 320k files to 256.. I don't consider 320 high bitrate.. As it is, I have to turn on the feature when I'm copying lossless and then manually turn it off again lest I end up recompressing my 320k mp3s...
Viper2005 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:43 PM   #41
Malbone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bug in converting to 128K - mono tracks

After upgrading to iTunes 10.6 (Mac OS 10.5), I've encountered a problem syncing my songs to my iPhone using the "convert to 128kbps" option. About a quarter of the songs convert to 128kbps, but the conversion doesn't "take" -- iTunes syncs them again and again even though they haven't changed.

I've examined the tracks and they all differ as to original bitrate, ID3 tag level, and LAME version used to convert. Thus far, the only thing I can find that they have in common is that they are all monaural tracks.

None of the tracks were downloaded from iTunes, and as far as I can tell, none of them were transferred from CD.

I have Audacity, which is terrific audio editing software and can convert the tracks to stereo, but I am looking for a utility that will batch-convert the tracks. Any suggestions on this, or on the underlying bug, would be appreciated.

Don
Malbone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:18 PM   #42
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkelnhofer View Post
That is odd. There is definitely a software bug at work. I use the "convert from higher bit rate" for both my iPad and my nano. On the iPad, it causes converted songs to lose their artwork every single time. On the nano, I have no artwork problems whatsoever. Hopefully, either iTunes or iOS whichever is causing the problem will be updated soon.
Is this a bug that's completely new to this? I just started converting my library to 320 kb and will then likely downgrade the files to 256 on my iphone to fit more but it's wiping out my artwork for all those files.

Do you guys know if this is something that just started happening or was it happening with the 128 kb conversion also?

Hopefully they fix this soon.
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:33 AM   #43
aleclerc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
No, that can't be it. the kbps setting indicates KiloBits Per Second, so the higher the kbps, the larger the file will be, regardless of the codec used. Maybe it's worth trying to see if the final size will be 21GB as estimated or if the estimate is wrong. It might take an afternoon but if the end result is indeed larger than the original library, you could simply revert by unchecking the "Convert higher bit-rate..." before the next sync (which would also take a couple of hours to copy 21 GB but at least it will not be transcoding).
You're right Sol. After actually letting the transcoding happen, it was reduced , although not by much (I think I saved a gig). I guess the estimation it's totally accurate. I thought it would get a little bit more since most of my songs are 320kbps but I guess not! A gig is better than nothing though.
aleclerc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:54 PM   #44
elgra
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Which rate does "Convert ... to 128 kbps" select?

When iTunes offers to "Convert higher bit rate songs to" 128, 192 or 256 kbps AAC, does that rate represent the stereo rate, as displayed under Import Settings?

Under Import Settings, you can choose AAC Encoder with one of the following Settings, two of which reference 128 kbps:
  • High Quality (128 kbps) [64 kbps (mono)/128 kbps (stereo)
  • iTunes Plus [128 kbps (mono)/256 kbps (stereo)
  • Spoken Podcast [32 kbps (mono)/64 kbps (stereo)
elgra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 06:21 PM   #45
smellalot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Stereo files will be 128 kbps. I don't know about mono tracks but asume they will convert to 64 kbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgra View Post
When iTunes offers to "Convert higher bit rate songs to" 128, 192 or 256 kbps AAC, does that rate represent the stereo rate, as displayed under Import Settings?

Under Import Settings, you can choose AAC Encoder with one of the following Settings, two of which reference 128 kbps:
  • High Quality (128 kbps) [64 kbps (mono)/128 kbps (stereo)
  • iTunes Plus [128 kbps (mono)/256 kbps (stereo)
  • Spoken Podcast [32 kbps (mono)/64 kbps (stereo)
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2012 i5 2,5Ghz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD
iPad 4 16GB WiFi
iPhone 4S 64 GB White
Mac mini 2006 1.5 Ghz for Plex and fileserver
smellalot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #46
dknightd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Just reloaded my iphone using 192 conversion. Deleted all songs. re-added some of them. now they have no artwork on iphone - arg!

Anybody know what is going on with this?
dknightd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:21 PM   #47
Krauser
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
A few questions. I'm thinking of doing the 256kbps conversion on my iPhone 4S to scrape up some more space. I have a 64GB model but I've got a ton of music and would love to have more with me.

That said, will choosing this option only down-convert my higher bit rate tracks to 256 or will it also attempt to UP-convert my lower bit rate tracks as well in an attempt to make the whole library a 256kbps? I only wonder this because up-converting a lower bit rate song should actually do more harm than good with regards to sound quality, no?

Also, when this conversion is done, does it do it through AAC or MP3?

Lastly, if I choose this option and want to revert it at a later time, my original files not on my iPhone won't be affected right? I still want to have my full quality CD rips and lossless files on my MacBook, I just want more streamlined and efficient files on my iPhone.
__________________
13.3" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB Western Digital HD; 64GB iPod Touch 3rd Generation, 8GB iPod Nano, iPhone 4S 64GB
Krauser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:15 PM   #48
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauser View Post
A few questions. I'm thinking of doing the 256kbps conversion on my iPhone 4S to scrape up some more space. I have a 64GB model but I've got a ton of music and would love to have more with me.

That said, will choosing this option only down-convert my higher bit rate tracks to 256 or will it also attempt to UP-convert my lower bit rate tracks as well in an attempt to make the whole library a 256kbps? I only wonder this because up-converting a lower bit rate song should actually do more harm than good with regards to sound quality, no?

Also, when this conversion is done, does it do it through AAC or MP3?

Lastly, if I choose this option and want to revert it at a later time, my original files not on my iPhone won't be affected right? I still want to have my full quality CD rips and lossless files on my MacBook, I just want more streamlined and efficient files on my iPhone.
It will only down covert, not up convert.

AAC

Original files in iTunes remain intact.
Tilpots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #49
airtas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
any work around for the lost album art?
airtas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
256 or 128 bit rate. TooLowToZero iPod 24 Mar 20, 2013 10:09 AM
iTunes: Convert higher bitrate to... mdehoogh Mac Applications and Mac App Store 10 Mar 3, 2013 06:18 PM
Do you convert songs bit rate when syncing? Jhene iPhone 14 Feb 18, 2013 01:02 AM
Turnaround for the very long process of "Converting higher rate songs"? luisadastwin iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Dec 1, 2012 07:14 AM
i have my itunes set to convert my songs to a lower bit rate to save space....ARTWORK aliensarecool iPhone 6 Sep 14, 2012 11:21 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC